• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

BenedictGomez

We got 17 inches here in Hunterdon county. Heading up to Shawnee now, where sadly they reportedly only got 6 inches, but that should still make for some good skiing.

Jisch

Half done doing the driveway - a belt on the snowblower broke. Ugh. As I shovel snow from the bottom, the top avalanches into the driveway in 10 foot sections. I'll be out there another couple hours for sure.

John

wa-loaf

Around a foot here. Shoveled out part of the driveway, but had to drop off the kids so I could work. Will finish digging out over lunch time.

Glenn

14" here. Lots of snow on the roads. The news had imagines of trucks stuck, cars rolled over. While this wasn't as much as the last "big" storm, this hit pretty hard. We had a few inches on the ground last night.....and it didn't really ramp up until 9 or 10PM. It's amazing how much snow these fast moving storms drop. I've never seen this much on the ground since I've lived in CT. This has been more like a Vermont winter here in CT.

Jisch

Seriously, I went to bed at 11:00 and it was barely snowing, maybe an inch on the ground. At 6:00 this morning there's 20" of snow - I wish I saw how fast it was falling, it must have been impressive. I heard on the news that there was thunder and lightning, but I didn't see/hear any.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
My town is so windy all the time, it's hard to judge snowfall. While I was clearing the driveway, I thought 6-8" tops. Now I see that the towns on either side got 18" and 13", so I'm guessing I was somewhere in between.

SKIQUATTRO

18" here on the N Shore of Long Island, not including the 5" we got yesterday morning....man this is heavy snow...

jrmagic

14" here. Lots of snow on the roads. The news had imagines of trucks stuck, cars rolled over. While this wasn't as much as the last "big" storm, this hit pretty hard. We had a few inches on the ground last night.....and it didn't really ramp up until 9 or 10PM. It's amazing how much snow these fast moving storms drop. I've never seen this much on the ground since I've lived in CT. This has been more like a Vermont winter here in CT.

Similar here in Westchester though it started a little earlier. My girlfriend's battery died so I pulled it out after dinner. the storm kicked in big on my way to the AutoZone with whiteout conditions and cars slipping all over the place on the hilly roads. By the time I got back to put in the new one, there was several fresh inches of snow down:-o

Glenn

Similar here in Westchester though it started a little earlier. My girlfriend's battery died so I pulled it out after dinner. the storm kicked in big on my way to the AutoZone with whiteout conditions and cars slipping all over the place on the hilly roads. By the time I got back to put in the new one, there was several fresh inches of snow down:-o

These storms have really pounded parts of NJ, NY and CT. While it would be more useful in VT...it does put snow in backyards and people in turn start heading up north to ski/ride.

jaywbigred

I'm in Hunterdon County, NJ

We were supposed to get 3-6, then 6-8, then 6-10, then 8-10, then 8-12. Just went outside and we already have 9, and it's not supposed to stop until 4am or 5am, so I'm taking the over.

Does anyone know how much they've gotten in the Poconos so far? The reports STILL say they're only getting 3-6 total, but I find that hard to believe at this point.

BenedictGomez, let me welcome you to AZ, and compliment you on your excellent avatar and screen name. Crappy game last night however.

I got about 7" here at home, a couple inches higher than The Weather Channel was forecasting.

Wow, again a few miles makes a difference. I think we had about 5 by lunch time yesterday here in the Summit area and the we picked up at least another foot over night, bringing our total to around 17. And it was wet and heavy and not the best shoveling snow. Took me 2 hours to dig my tiny porch and front walk out, and to do those of my elderly neighbors.

wa-loaf

10"

Just heard an unfortunate Cannon comercial. "Does the brown in your backyard got ya down ... ?" What the heck is going on with the marketing dept there? I don't think anyone in NE has seen the grass in their yard since Christmas.

crank

We got about 16" or so here in Wilton, CT. Definitely the most snow I've ever seen on the ground around here. Trying to think of some steep and long enough local hill that might be worth slogging up and skiing down.

WJenness

10"

Just heard an unfortunate Cannon comercial. "Does the brown in your backyard got ya down ... ?" What the heck is going on with the marketing dept there? I don't think anyone in NE has seen the grass in their yard since Christmas.

Maybe some folks on the cape? They've gotten some rain out of of a few of these systems I believe...

-w