• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We are now at the point where the snow is nearly as deep as it was when I was a teen. Piles need to be shoveled down so I can throw snow over them once again. Piles at the curbs need to be shoveled down so I can see to get out of the driveway! This is A WINTER!

Let's get some sticks and shovel off the pond. Let's build a snow fort. On second though, let's go skiing!

ScottySkis

I hear we gotten more snow in the metro areas then Fair Banks Alaska,maybe we can give up our cars and start snowmobiling

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
We got 17 inches here in Hunterdon county. Heading up to Shawnee now, where sadly they reportedly only got 6 inches, but that should still make for some good skiing.

How much snow did they get? I got 18". More importantly, Blue got a solid 8"-10" Wonderful skiing today...

Riverskier

I am happy for all of you down south getting the snow, but I miss the days when it snowed up here in Maine. I got 1 inch at my house from this storm. The mountains got nothing.

4aprice

I am happy for all of you down south getting the snow, but I miss the days when it snowed up here in Maine. I got 1 inch at my house from this storm. The mountains got nothing.

I truely hope you guys get nailed. It's shaping up to be a great winter down here in the Pocono's. I'm willing to share the wealth.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

I hear we gotten more snow in the metro areas then Fair Banks Alaska,maybe we can give up our cars and start snowmobiling

That would be pretty friggin sweet. I'm on board.

I've actually been on craigslist looking at cheap sleds. There's a good amount of snow in VT and I hear some neighbors zipping around in the woods.

bvibert

Staff member
Once again, nothing signifcant where it's useful :-?

Maybe not useful to most people, but the skiing sure has been great down here in CT! Since I have a hard getting north these days anyway this snow is way beyond useful to me. :spread:

Euler

That would be pretty friggin sweet. I'm on board.

I've actually been on craigslist looking at cheap sleds. There's a good amount of snow in VT and I hear some neighbors zipping around in the woods.

Get some BC skis instead. Better for your health and the environment!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
And now comes the horrible part - Ice Dams.
Already got one. We fixed the ones in the back several years ago, but the front, that's a different story. There are two feet of snow on the roof and it's warmin/freezin
Guess I know how I'm spending Saturday.. :(

hammer

And now comes the horrible part - Ice Dams.
Already got one. We fixed the ones in the back several years ago, but the front, that's a different story. There are two feet of snow on the roof and it's warmin/freezin
Guess I know how I'm spending Saturday.. :(
Does anyone with a newer house get these? My house has all of the ventilation systems needed (I think) and is insulated up to code within the past 15 years. I've never had problems in the past.

wa-loaf

Does anyone with a newer house get these? My house has all of the ventilation systems needed (I think) and is insulated up to code within the past 15 years. I've never had problems in the past.

My house is not new (50's) but the roof is new and I had 18" of insulation blown into the attic when I moved in. There's 2 feet of snow on there and no melting. I do need to shovel some off before we start hitting lots of warm/freeze cycles.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

while my house is 55 YO, the place where it leaks is the new addition. I think it's the way the house was designed. It has some odd angles including a gable where the problem is.

WJenness

This pic is of a friend's parents' back deck in Hamden, CT.

Top photo was taken at the beginning of the month, bottom photo was taken just after this last storm...

168418_477221362573_505717573_5728577_6590150_n.jpg

Damn.

-w