• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

Tin

Well 2 of the 3 local stations have changed the forecast to snow and no longer say mix/rain down here and the weather channel maps have changed from rain and mix to snow down here... Are they expecting it to shift further south now?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
There is now talk of a clipper system coming Fri/Sat right behind the midweek storm.
NWS says the confidence is high for the midweek event, but the confidence in the track is low: "after all, it's four days from now"
Wisely stated.

There is 20" of settled snow in my yard. The dog has taken to relieving herself in the middle of the driveway :(

I love red:
sd1_today.jpg

I can't wait to see NNE painted in red in the mts.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Accuweather is generating the next grocery store rush:

"No matter what the storm brings to various locations along the Atlantic Seaboard next week, it will lead to major travel disruptions, closed schools, blown budgets and perhaps life-threatening conditions.

ZYDECORICH

Accuweather is generating the next grocery store rush:

"No matter what the storm brings to various locations along the Atlantic Seaboard next week, it will lead to major travel disruptions, closed schools, blown budgets and perhaps life-threatening conditions.

I swear sometimes i think the grocery stores and weather stations are in bed together.It is always a madhouse here whenever the threat of a storm comes into play, like they can't survive 24 to 36 hours on what they have in their freezer. Bring on the snow and the mad rush!!

wa-loaf

There is now talk of a clipper system coming Fri/Sat right behind the midweek storm.
NWS says the confidence is high for the midweek event, but the confidence in the track is low: "after all, it's four days from now"
Wisely stated.

There is 20" of settled snow in my yard. The dog has taken to relieving herself in the middle of the driveway :(

I love red:
sd1_today.jpg

I can't wait to see NNE painted in red in the mts.

Skiing at the Camden Snowbowl must be off the hook. I bet there's a ton of backcountry stuff on the coast there and on MDI that's hasn't been accessible in years.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
That graphic is a tad conservative as far as central and western MA is concerned. I'm on the border of Worcester and Franklin counties (about 20 minutes east of I-91) and have well over 20" of snow pack. More like 25-30".

You can all start the :flame: and the :uzi: now, but at this point I'm not as excited about this one when they say "could be a storm with a potential for a foot or more". Don't get me wrong... I am loving this weather pattern we're in and think it will be a winter of epic proportions, but after already having a 20" dump two storms ago, there needs to be something more substantial before they bring the hype. Don't get me excited unless we're talking 2+ feet... anything less is just another snow event.

One downside to this: If we get another 12-20" I'm going to need to bust out the ladder and shovel the low-angle portion of my roof (traditional New England cape with a shed-dormer out back). Being 20' up on a slick roof sucks.

Grassi21

Hey Greg, should I scrape the wax off my powder boards? :lol:

UVSHTSTRM

I have a feeling many of you will not be happy when this one shakes out! I have a feeling that this storm will be a bust.....aka out to sea for ski country. Why do I feel this way? Because the weather peeps at all the major weather sites and tv have been calling for this major storm for a week without any major changes....they are never this dead on.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I've been looking at the data ans the WFO from Philly to Burlington, Boston and NY. It's looking like last one, it will hug the coast and provide disruption to cities in its path as is changes to freezing rain along the coast.. The further inland it goes, the lower the snowfall. BTV is now suggesting that the the southern greens will have the best shot at it. That said, the mountains will continue to get daily gifts from the heavens even without it.

I'm happy to be disappointed or not. We got the goods now and the temps stay low. I'm kind more interested in how this is going to impact the metro areas.

National weather service albany ny
700 pm est sun jan 23 2011

the ecmwf indicates potential mesoscale banding due to strong mid level
2d peterrson frontogenesis along a srn vt...capital region...nrn
catskills axis. If this does occur...then several inches of the
white stuff in a hour could be possible...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
.. THE STAKES ARE SUBSTANTIAL FOR BOTH THE WEDNESDAY MORNING AND
EVENING COMMUTES AS IT DOES APPEAR IT WILL BE COLD ENOUGH FOR
MAINLY SNOW OR MIXED ICE AND SNOW EVENT I95 WEST... PRESUMING THE
STORM OCCURS PER MODELED CONSENSUS.
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
..WOULD TEND TO LEAN TOWARD ANOTHER MAJOR STORM FOR A GOOD
PORTION OF THE REGION LATE WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. COULD
STILL SEE SOME MIXING AND/OR BRIEF CHANGEOVER TO RAIN ALONG THE S
COAST..
Not much for NNE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
740 PM EST SUN JAN 23 2011

A MORE SIGNIFICANT
COASTAL LOW IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP AND PASS SOUTH OF NEW ENGLAND
WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND WILL BRING A CHANCE OF
SNOW...

GYX Maine prefers to not forecast it:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
318 PM EST SUN JAN 23 2011

FOR NOW...PLAN TO KEEP THE PRECIP TYPE ALL SNOW
AND HOLD OFF ON TRYING TO DELINEATE ANY DIFFERING PRECIP TYPES
UNTIL THERE IS A BETTER IDEA OF THE TRACK. AT THE SAME TIME..

polski

Website
twitter.com
Skiing at the Camden Snowbowl must be off the hook. I bet there's a ton of backcountry stuff on the coast there and on MDI that's hasn't been accessible in years.
Yes. I'm salivating. Wish MDI wasn't too many hours away ...

Glenn

Looks messy for our part of CT...but they say it could be all snow later Wednesday/Wed night.

SoVT looks much better for picking up all snow. Hoping for the best. I'll be reading the discussions as they update.

WinnChill

Looks messy for our part of CT...but they say it could be all snow later Wednesday/Wed night.

SoVT looks much better for picking up all snow. Hoping for the best. I'll be reading the discussions as they update.

Yeah, time frame looks like a late day/overnight event. Our discussions are updated but having trouble updating Wednesday details--keep getting errors, so we'll be trying to work that out today.

drjeff

Yeah, time frame looks like a late day/overnight event. Our discussions are updated but having trouble updating Wednesday details--keep getting errors, so we'll be trying to work that out today.

The later in the day Wednesday things move in is fine with me, considering that I need to drive from NE CT into Boston Wednesday afternoon. And since I will be in Boston all weekend at a convention, and not out on the slopes, expect this storm to over deliver for ski country! :snow: :lol:

WinnChill

The later in the day Wednesday things move in is fine with me, considering that I need to drive from NE CT into Boston Wednesday afternoon. And since I will be in Boston all weekend at a convention, and not out on the slopes, expect this storm to over deliver for ski country! :snow: :lol:

Ah, so Euro it is! Thanks for the heads up! ;-)

So no chance of cutting out early to get some slope time in?

drjeff

Ah, so Euro it is! Thanks for the heads up! ;-)

So no chance of cutting out early to get some slope time in?

As much as it's tempting, this is one of those conventions that I actually really enjoy going to every year, so the combo of lots of good friends and the fun of Boston has me completely content with not skiing this coming weekend (as I haven't done since 2001 on this weekend)