• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

Glenn

The later in the day Wednesday things move in is fine with me, considering that I need to drive from NE CT into Boston Wednesday afternoon. And since I will be in Boston all weekend at a convention, and not out on the slopes, expect this storm to over deliver for ski country! :snow: :lol:

Jeff...again....I offer you thanks for being away during a "snow even". :snow:

drjeff

Jeff...again....I offer you thanks for being away during a "snow even". :snow:

Glenn, this one has even "bigger" potential to hit, as my business partner is supposed to fly from Hartford to DC Thursday AM and then back upto Boston on Friday :lol:

Now I just need for tommorrows little clipper to be just that, a LITTLE clipper so that my mother can fly upto Providence from Florida tommorrow to watch E and D this weekend :)

Madroch

The later timing may kill me... immovable work appts Thursday I need a late Tues. early Wed. hit for me to pre-position and be mobile. If it is a wed-thurs thing, may have to settle for the night session at the institution with possibly "mixed".

Glenn

Glenn, this one has even "bigger" potential to hit, as my business partner is supposed to fly from Hartford to DC Thursday AM and then back upto Boston on Friday :lol:

Now I just need for tommorrows little clipper to be just that, a LITTLE clipper so that my mother can fly upto Providence from Florida tommorrow to watch E and D this weekend :)

HA! Wow! This may really deliver since he's flying...and you won't be in VT.

At this rate, there's going to be a snowbar in Dummerston. I was already able to jump off the deck last weekend...and that was before the foot we got last week. :-o

BLESS

I've been looking at the data ans the WFO from Philly to Burlington, Boston and NY. It's looking like last one, it will hug the coast and provide disruption to cities in its path as is changes to freezing rain along the coast.. The further inland it goes, the lower the snowfall. BTV is now suggesting that the the southern greens will have the best shot at it. That said, the mountains will continue to get daily gifts from the heavens even without it.

I'm happy to be disappointed or not. We got the goods now and the temps stay low. I'm kind more interested in how this is going to impact the metro areas.

National weather service albany ny
700 pm est sun jan 23 2011

the ecmwf indicates potential mesoscale banding due to strong mid level
2d peterrson frontogenesis along a srn vt...capital region...nrn
catskills axis. If this does occur...then several inches of the
white stuff in a hour could be possible...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
.. THE STAKES ARE SUBSTANTIAL FOR BOTH THE WEDNESDAY MORNING AND
EVENING COMMUTES AS IT DOES APPEAR IT WILL BE COLD ENOUGH FOR
MAINLY SNOW OR MIXED ICE AND SNOW EVENT I95 WEST... PRESUMING THE
STORM OCCURS PER MODELED CONSENSUS.
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
..WOULD TEND TO LEAN TOWARD ANOTHER MAJOR STORM FOR A GOOD
PORTION OF THE REGION LATE WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. COULD
STILL SEE SOME MIXING AND/OR BRIEF CHANGEOVER TO RAIN ALONG THE S
COAST..
Not much for NNE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
740 PM EST SUN JAN 23 2011

A MORE SIGNIFICANT
COASTAL LOW IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP AND PASS SOUTH OF NEW ENGLAND
WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND WILL BRING A CHANCE OF
SNOW...

GYX Maine prefers to not forecast it:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
318 PM EST SUN JAN 23 2011

hmmm. would you guess then that i would be better off using my Okemo connect than my Wildcat one? by connect I mean place to stay....

FOR NOW...PLAN TO KEEP THE PRECIP TYPE ALL SNOW
AND HOLD OFF ON TRYING TO DELINEATE ANY DIFFERING PRECIP TYPES
UNTIL THERE IS A BETTER IDEA OF THE TRACK. AT THE SAME TIME..

hmmm. would you guess then that i would be better off using my Okemo connect than my Wildcat one? by connect I mean place to stay....

drjeff

HA! Wow! This may really deliver since he's flying...and you won't be in VT.

At this rate, there's going to be a snowbar in Dummerston. I was already able to jump off the deck last weekend...and that was before the foot we got last week. :-o

I'm sure you noticed last weekend during the fireworks, but my back deck snowbar is starting to take shape nicely too :) If this storm delivers, and there's some decent backside winds, they'll likely be an easy extra 2 to 3+ feet of snow drifted onto it for added construstion purposes :) :snow: :beer:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah, time frame looks like a late day/overnight event. Our discussions are updated but having trouble updating Wednesday details--keep getting errors, so we'll be trying to work that out today.

I keep hitting your site, several times a day!

Looking forward to your presentation at our club meeting next Tuesday!

WinnChill

I keep hitting your site, several times a day!

Looking forward to your presentation at our club meeting next Tuesday!

Thanks Bill! It's frustrating that we can't update Wednesday's forecast details--keep getting errors only on our New England sites. If we can't find a solution soon, I may have to break it down accumulations in the discussion for an afternoon update. We'll keep you posted.

Yeah, Tuesday sounds fun!

awf170

Neither if this storm drops 2 feet of snow. Both of them are too flat for big storms. Wildcat at least has some steeps though, so that would be my pick.

WinnChill

Is it to early to venture guesses on whether any snow will come out of this?

We've ballparked some amounts a couple of days ago and they're reflected in the 6-day detailed forecasts. However, we have a glitch in our editing software and I haven't been able to adjust Wednesday's details since then. I've posted a brief update in our VT/NH/ME discussions so you'll want to focus on that. It still looks similar to last storm with S NH/S ME getting the most, followed by S VT/N NH.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
NWS Philly just put out round #1 of snow totals.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Is it to early to venture guesses on whether any snow will come out of this?

There will be snow but not where WE want it. Eventually the snow may get deep enough in the flat lands that it starts to avalanche toward us.

My prediction is that northern VT will be waving longingly at this storm as it slides by to the SE.

On the upside it looks like a string of clipper systems are going to work through over the next 10 days.

Last edited:

4aprice

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
There will be snow but not where WE want it. Eventually the snow may get deep enough in the flat lands that it starts to avalanche toward us.

My prediction is that northern VT will be waving at this stop longingly as it slides by to the SE.

On the upside it looks like a string of clipper systems are going to work through over the next 10 days.
Yup. This storm is total crap. I mean, I'll take it... 4-6"+ in the mountains is nice. But why o' why can't these 1'+ dumps hit further north!? Looking forward to the Clipper action. NoVT is going to stack up big time with a few Clippers.

I can't complain too much. But if storms had tracked a little more inland, we might be talking 00-01 potential pace for the season.

Any ways, I can't take a vaca day this week any ways. So I guess I am happy it isn't going to be huge. ;)

Puck it

We've ballparked some amounts a couple of days ago and they're reflected in the 6-day detailed forecasts. However, we have a glitch in our editing software and I haven't been able to adjust Wednesday's details since then. I've posted a brief update in our VT/NH/ME discussions so you'll want to focus on that. It still looks similar to last storm with S NH/S ME getting the most, followed by S VT/N NH.

Give a link please. I can not find what you are talking about onnyour site.

Glenn

Still trying to get a handle on amounts in Southern VT. Doesn't look like it's going to track as far inland/north as originally hoped. Still...snow is snow.