• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW...WITH POSSIBLY SOME SLEET OR RAIN
MIXED IN DURING THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 4 TO 10 INCHES WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS MOST
LIKELY IN NEW JERSEY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL SPREAD FROM SOUTH TO NORTH BETWEEN 7 AM AND
1 PM...WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW EXPECTED BETWEEN 5 PM AND
MIDNIGHT. SNOWFALL RATES COULD AVERAGE 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR.
SNOW WILL END BEFORE THE START OF THE MORNING COMMUTE ON
THURSDAY.

Even if's it's only 3"-5", I'll take it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Swing and a Miss! BIG WHIFFER!

Hey riverc0il, so you moved up north for more snow? guess you might want to move back!!! :cry:

We only have this little problem called vertical, or lack thereof! :dunce:

Sometimes I look outside and the piles are so high, the need to wear big boots is so necessary that I think I'm standing in Stowe Village! Now where did they put the vertical?? :-?

Well, Thunderbolt is gonna be in spectacular shape!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I love the wording:
BOS:
WE HAVE ENOUGH
CONFIDENCE TO INCREASE SNOW TOTALS ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE INTERIOR.
HAVE UPGRADED TO A WINTER STORM WARNING ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL MA INTO
NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS INCLUDING THE BOSTON METROPOLITAN AREA WHERE
6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED. PORTIONS OF NORTHERN
CONNECTICUT ALSO STAND A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF A NEED FOR AN
UPGRADE...
BUT WILL AWAIT COORDINATION AMONGST SURROUNDING OFFICES
OVERNIGHT. THE LOWEST CONFIDENCE REMAINS ACROSS FAR NORTHWEST
MA/SOUTHWEST NH.

Yes, please I'll take an upgrade. Is that $50? How about if I super-size it?
Sounds pretty depressing for SW NH. Then again the recent daily
snow in the Berks is pretty handsome. I'll bet Berk East is doing wonderfully.
I don't get how Jiminy can check in with 3" new when nobody in the surrounding area does.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hey riverc0il, so you moved up north for more snow? guess you might want to move back!!!
Never. Maybe when I retire. You know, for the convenience and health stuff.

Mountains are actually still above average for this time of year in many locations. It just could have been an epic banner year with a slightly more northern storm track pattern. So its only above average instead of epic. Like I said, I really can't complain. Would have been cool if things were a little further north, though.

Glenn

So VT has gone from possibly "needing yardsticks to measure the snow" to little to no accumulations. Oh well. At least its not raining and I can get to the mt. with my school bus on Weds.

I'm bummed. This coulda been a huge dump in SoVT. :-( But hey, there's always Saturday's clipper.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Never. Maybe when I retire. You know, for the convenience and health stuff.

Mountains are actually still above average for this time of year in many locations. It just could have been an epic banner year with a slightly more northern storm track pattern. So its only above average instead of epic. Like I said, I really can't complain. Would have been cool if things were a little further north, though.

Just kidding anyways. We've got lot more time to get a good shot. I'm quite happy for the base we have right now. It's nice to see the crankiness has disappeared from the forum. Kinda like Sox & Yankee fans. Full of anticipation, excitement and victory yet still full of disappointments. I don't mind getting wound up about potential snowfall that fizzles. It keeps the winter interesting - besides, you know best - you gotta be ready to pounce!

:daffy:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We're having a heat wave...
genplot.php

I remember days like this in NNY. We would run outside and play in T-shirts when the temps hit the teens.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Just started snowing here 5 minutes ago, 2" - 5" predicted for my area.

My driveway was covered when I left a little before 7am. Coming down pretty steady now in Parsippany, NJ. I don't think it was supposed to come down this hard this early in the day. Maybe we'll end up on the high end of the forecast.

jaywbigred

My driveway was covered when I left a little before 7am. Coming down pretty steady now in Parsippany, NJ. I don't think it was supposed to come down this hard this early in the day. Maybe we'll end up on the high end of the forecast.

Yeah, forecast when I woke up was for 1-2 inches then a changeover for Summit. When I left, we had 3 on the ground and it was coming down HARD, as in, I shoveled our 14 foot walk way and when I turned around at the end, the part I shoveled first already had a full dusting on it again and none of the walk could be seen. Also, was 28 degrees when I got to work, and it still hasn't changed over.

4aprice

Maybe the models are underestimating the depth of the cold air. WPIX 11 early this morning showed a mixture line moving north through NNJ but having just been outside it doesn't feel anywhere close to turning over. The models with this particular storm have been all over the place and the NWS didn't seem to know what to do with watches and warnings.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jrmagic

Maybe the models are underestimating the depth of the cold air. WPIX 11 early this morning showed a mixture line moving north through NNJ but having just been outside it doesn't feel anywhere close to turning over. The models with this particular storm have been all over the place and the NWS didn't seem to know what to do with watches and warnings.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I forgot what channel I was watching this morning at about 8:00 but they were not calling for any mixing/turning for NY/NJ. its still all snow in Manhattan.

octopus

I have tomorrow off, what mtn should I head toward for the most new snow? I'm coming from Boston and going north, I'm kinda thinking gunstock. WhAt do u guys think?