• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Why not? We're on a roll here....

gmcunni

yes please!

heard the weather guy on tv mention this today.. he was talking about tomorrow and said something like " and you don't know to know what's coming next week"

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah. Let's get the whiners started. Maybe we can get them all stressed out. Like the guy on the road this morning going 15mph for five miles, no passing zone, heavily populated. I figured he was driving on bald tires!

gmcunni

what's the inside scoop on this one? i want to chase a storm this season and if i plan early i can probably arrange my schedule to clear tues or wed for a trip?

snoseek

Is it gonna be another storm that stays south? Kinda seems that way but way too early to ever even guess. I would imagine the skiing down there in Conn. is about as good as it ever gets.

WinnChill

I like the fact that high pressure ahead of it kind of blocks its path or slows it up as it builds into us--that is a dump producer as it looks right now. Things will change but this was looking interesting from the get-go.

Glenn

Fingers crossed! I'll be checking the forecast discussions for updates...as if I'm not on there 4+ times a day already. :lol:

WinnChill

Fingers crossed! I'll be checking the forecast discussions for updates...as if I'm not on there 4+ times a day already. :lol:

Ski poles crossed! (I'm trying to update Wednesday's forecast on our New England resort pages but the editor is giving me errors).

Euler

Yeah, it doesn't help our weather obsession when part of the NOAA forecast discussion says "stay tuned..."

Glenn

Yeah, it doesn't help our weather obsession when part of the NOAA forecast discussion says "stay tuned..."

or "still waiting on the 12z model run which should give us a better idea..." :spin:

drjeff

or "still waiting on the 12z model run which should give us a better idea..." :spin:

Okay, here's the 2 main things to watch for over the next few days about this one

#1 This storm, which still hasn't originated yet, is projected to really start forming somewhere around the Texas/Mexico Gulf Coast boarder (basically Corpus Christi area) late this weekend and then track across the Western Gulf of Mexico, across the Florida Panhandle and then into the Carolina's before headed into the Atlantic and up the East Coast - definately a track that should provide plenty of energy.

#2 The BIG dome of COLD high pressure moving into the Northeast later today/tommorrow. Depending on how strong and/or weakening of it by the storms arrival will play a HUGE role in whether the low can get into prime snow position for New England or gets deflected off to the South/East and just gives us a glancing blow.

occyflorida

Time frame

What is everyone's thoughts on timing? Our family is coming up from FL to the White Mountains on Wednesday afternoon for a week of skiing. Worried about flight cancellations Wednesday in Manchester.

WinnChill

What is everyone's thoughts on timing? Our family is coming up from FL to the White Mountains on Wednesday afternoon for a week of skiing. Worried about flight cancellations Wednesday in Manchester.

It will certainly be a concern with development around the DC area Tuesday night, then pushing up the east coast through Wed. The track could change and head more out to sea but definately stay tuned.

gmcunni

It will certainly be a concern with development around the DC area Tuesday night, then pushing up the east coast through Wed. The track could change and head more out to sea but definately stay tuned.

so it sounds like Wednesday would be the ski day, IF the track is good for New England?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Try to get in ahead of the storm. Otherwise, the cascading problems from flight cancellations will cut your trip short. If it pans out as Winn says, Tuesday or earlier is your best bet. Sorry about the change fee....

WinnChill

so it sounds like Wednesday would be the ski day, IF the track is good for New England?

The way it looks now, yes. We'll see how it pans out this weekend--we all know not to get too excited just yet but it bears watching closely.

drjeff

Same boat in my household. I've got my mother flying from Tampa to Providence on Wednesday - some heavy lobbying on my part to have her come North on Monday/Tuesday instead has started. And I might just be a bit guilty of using the line "Mom, your two super adorable, super nice grandkids miss you so much and would love to see you for an extra day or two..." :lol:

hammer

Same boat in my household. I've got my mother flying from Tampa to Providence on Wednesday - some heavy lobbying on my part to have her come North on Monday/Tuesday instead has started. And I might just be a bit guilty of using the line "Mom, your two super adorable, super nice grandkids miss you so much and would love to see you for an extra day or two..." :lol:
Is she flying Southwest? At least they don't charge change fees...

Madroch

If it is a wed storm, I may try to pre-position Tues night. If it is a tues or thurs storm I may miss it altogethor unless it is serious enough to close businesses. WED please.