• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Mid March

jimmywilson69

Hows the weather this time of year in Northern Vermont. My wife and son have off school 3/18 - 3/21 and we'd like to stay in Stowe. According to Stowe's website, they typically have 98% of their terrain open at that time.

I know March of 2010 was an anomoly in the weather up there, but wanted some feedback on what it would be like.

Thanks in advance.

4aprice

Hows the weather this time of year in Northern Vermont. My wife and son have off school 3/18 - 3/21 and we'd like to stay in Stowe. According to Stowe's website, they typically have 98% of their terrain open at that time.

I know March of 2010 was an anomoly in the weather up there, but wanted some feedback on what it would be like.

Thanks in advance.

The last 2 March's have been tame but in general March is the time to be up on the mountain enjoying the sun and snow. You should have a great time at a great ski area. Enjoy.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Could be frozen solid or powder or anything in between. Statistically, March is on average a very good time of year to ski any where in New England. That said, the last two March's have sucked major. So basically, anything could happen and averages only give you probabilities but anything can happen on any given day that far away. If you need to book in advanced, I'd go with February personally. Less chance of a major rain/freeze event. Not that those don't happen in February. But they certainly happen more often in March.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty much as said. It is hard to tell. That week could be 50 F and corn snow. It could be 25 F and boilerplate. It could be dumping powder. The last two seasons have been warm and dry = no snow. March is traditionally the snowiest month up here and as said it can be a great month with nice temps, sunshine, and nearly everything open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd pay attention to temperatures and book last minute. There's no financial benefit for booking early for a non-peak time of year like late March.

If I looked at the weather and saw

Stowe: daytime highs 35-45
Killington: daytime highs 45 - 55

I'd take Killington.

If I saw

Stowe: 25-35
Killington: 35-45

I'd take Stowe

I find that during spring, the 35-45 daytime high range is not where you want to be. Not warm enough to corn up except in areas of prolonged direct Sunlight (something Stowe lacks) and a bit too warm to keep any recent natural dry and enjoyable in the woods. Stowe is my favorite area in the East, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a great spring skiing mountain. It can deliver mid-winter conditions in March better than most areas though.

jimmywilson69

We really want to stay in stowe, but I'm not completely married to skiing there the entire weekend either. Killington is a bit of a hike south, but Sugarbush, Jay, etc. are in play.

jimmywilson69

Considered staying at Smuggs, as our time share works there. Isn't it a bit far to get to stowe since the Notch is closed in the winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We really want to stay in stowe, but I'm not completely married to skiing there the entire weekend either. Killington is a bit of a hike south, but Sugarbush, Jay, etc. are in play.

and Sugarbush, Jay, Smuggs, etc, are all likely to have very similar conditions as Stowe.

If you really want to stay in Stowe because of the town etc, then that is what you should do. If the quality of skiing is of most importance, then you need to look at Southern VT or Northern VT depending on the weather.

jimmywilson69

Thanks for the advice. I know I should plan around the weather, but I hate not having a place to stay in advance.

Skiing on hard pack doesn't bother me as much as the potential for the dreaded r word. unfortunately due to my wifes schedule, I'm kinda locked into this weekend.

Its a dreaded cycle that comes to me be uncomfortable with not having reservations locked in.

gmcunni

Thanks for the advice. I know I should plan around the weather, but I hate not having a place to stay in advance.

Skiing on hard pack doesn't bother me as much as the potential for the dreaded r word. unfortunately due to my wifes schedule, I'm kinda locked into this weekend.

Its a dreaded cycle that comes to me be uncomfortable with not having reservations locked in.

just book it! the dates are fixed, that is when your family can go... make the best of it. what else you going do that weekend?

jimmywilson69

That's pretty much where I'm at. We have always wanted to stay in stowe, skied there but never stayed in town.

Like I said, I am flexible with the actual places we ski. As it stands now probably 2 days at stowe and sugarbush.

Which place handles the saturday crowd the best? Although that late in the season, does it matter?

RISkier

That's pretty much where I'm at. We have always wanted to stay in stowe, skied there but never stayed in town.

Like I said, I am flexible with the actual places we ski. As it stands now probably 2 days at stowe and sugarbush.

Which place handles the saturday crowd the best? Although that late in the season, does it matter?

I'd say Sugarbush is less crowded on weekends/holidays. Sugarbush North is generally quieter than Sugarbush South. At Stowe it depends somewhat on the terrain you want to ski. If you're primarily looking for blue cruisers I'd say the blues on Mount Mansfield, off either the 4-Runner or the Gondi, can get pretty congested. The Blues off the 4-runner also provide access to most of the terrain parks and the top part of Lord conveys folks to many of the blacks. There's rarely a lift line if you ski off the triple. We really like Stowe village but if you're planning to ski both Sugarbush and Stowe you might also take a look at staying in Waterbury. The more time we've spent in Waterbury the more we've grown to appreciate it. During our last Stowe trip we had dinner at Ocha (SP?) on main street in Waterbury. It's a Thai restaurant and I had some of the best pad thai I've ever had. The Alchemist has excellent beer and pretty good food if you can get in.

BenedictGomez

Considered staying at Smuggs, as our time share works there. Isn't it a bit far to get to stowe since the Notch is closed in the winter.

Yes, it's a pain in the rear as you have to drive around the mountains essentially. However, if you're staying at Smuggs on a multi-day pass and just wanted to ski one day at Stowe, you can ride the lift up at Smuggs and ski over the pond to Stowe.