• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Want Some Friends to Hike With? The AZ Hitch-Hiker Guide!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Got the idea to post this thread after reading this thread.

If you are going to be hiking this summer and would like some company from AZ, feel free to post the areas where you hike and how folks can contact you! I hope that this spurs some AZ Hiking Outings and interest in hiking...once we get better weather :roll:

Enjoy!

Here are "my stomping grounds." Folks who would like company or advice, feel free to PM me:

White Mountain 4000 Footers
Central and Northern Greens
NEK and Central Vermont Mountains
Ski Areas
Wapack and Monadnock Regions
Other NH Areas Beyond the Whites
Some experience with the 'Dacks

:beer:

SkiDog

im in Jersey, but am willing to travel for the right hiking opportunities....

I am planning to move to the Whites VERY SOON, so locations may change but hiking will reamain a constant....

Right now im available for dayhikes in:

Jersey
Lower Hudson Valley
Catskills

Overnight hikes:

Just about anywhere in the New England region..

M

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
my stomping grounds are the white mountains primarily, especially northern and north eastern realms in the route 2, route 3, route 302, and I-93 areas. looking to get to know the higher peaks in the greens as well. and of course, i hike burke a lot and am looking to explore the willoughby area in VT more. always down for some company, i generally hike alone which is not as fun, but sometimes the quiet and calm is refreshing.

SilentCal

My primary stomping grounds are the Holyoke Range and Mt Tom in Western Mass. I'm well versed in the Whites but still have many nuggets to explore out there. I'm also becoming quite familar with Mt Greylock. I would hope that we could have an AZ group for the Flags on the 48 event in the White Mountains. Maybe <cough cough> Greg will issue you guys a challenge.

Happy trails gang!

Mike P.

Cal, I'm planning an after work walk in the Holyokes when I get back from Vacation, 07/18, should get there around 6:20 at the State Park building in the Notch between Norwottuck & Bare.

I head out usually once a month, soomtimes more if work brings me close to the mountains. I try & get to ADK's twice a year, Catskills, ME & VT 1X a year & usually get to Holyokes, Tom & Taconic area once a year/ My main destination is the Whites though, usually more than one 4K peak at a time.

Schedule is usually hectic so I'll pick a date in advance & then two different hikes, one for good weather & one for bad weather.

Greg

Staff member
NW CT is my hiking stomping grounds, although I haven't gotten up there much the past few years (home life has been busy). Anyway, here are some of my standard routes:

• Undermountain --> AT --> Bear (up-and-back or down AT to Sages --> Paradise --> Under Mountain)
  • Lion's Head to Bear via AT (rather long up-and-back [~8 miles?] but with a long flat section in the middle)
  • Race Brook Falls to Race (up-and-back)
  • South Taconic Trail to Alander (up-and-back)
  • Prospect Mountain/Rand's View - AT (flat and easy)
It's a great area. Here are some images:

Alander Mountain - August 19, 2001
Mount Everett and Mount Race - December 10, 2000
Race Brook Falls - November 12, 2000
Prospect Mountain / Rand's View - November 5, 2000
Tri-State Loop - October 14/15, 2000
Bear Mountain - October 8, 2000
More Alander Mountain - September 19, 1999

For Trip reports, see:

Bear & Round Mountains - October 12, 2001
Mount Washington State Forest / Riga Plateau - December 10, 2000
Mount Bear & Sages Ravine - October 24, 2000
Race Brook Falls/Mount Race - October 24, 1999

This truly is a wonderful area.

SkiDog

SilentCal said:
I'm also becoming quite familar with Mt Greylock.
Happy trails gang!

I might entertain hiking/skinning this in winter and skiing back down..supposed to be a backcountry gem..

Let me know if thats something you're interested in.

M

MtnMagic

I love to hike anywhere in the Whites and the lower half of Maine. If any readers need a hiking partner during the week, just pm me and ghostdog and I will be delighted join you.

Happy trails!!

Last edited:

ga2ski

My wive, our dog and I are in the process of hiking the NH 4000-footers. Once our son gets a lil bigger (only 2.5 weeks now) we'll be hitting the trails again. We will probably be hitting smaller peaks for a while until we see how he likes the hikes.

We live in Hooksett so we can get to the lakes region and southern NH easily. We will probably hit up Rattlesnake in Holderness and Major in Alton sometime this summer.

This fall I'm hoping to get back to the 4000-footers. Below is a list of 4's that we have left:
Mount Washington
Mount Jefferson
Mount Monroe
Mount Twin, South Peak
Mount Eisenhower
Mount Twin North Peak
Mount Bond
Mount Bond, West Peak
Mount Kinsman, South Peak
Mount Pierce [Clinton]
Mount Kinsman, North Peak
Bondcliff
Zealand Mountain
Cannon Mountain
Mount Hale
Mount Jackson
Galehead
Mount Waumbek

So if you want to hike any these peaks or want info on any of the other 4's PM me.

MtnMagic

Although ghostdog and I are members of the Four Thousand Foot Club, we re-hike them during the weekends and during the week too. We also enjoy hiking the 3000'ers and visits to waterfalls and other interesting places. A note via private mail will hook us up.

Mike P.

If anyone is interested I'm planning on doing the following this week:

July 19th Monadnock via Dublin Path (or ODP) starting around 7:00 PM, down in dark plan is to do 2.2 up in an hour & 10 minutes or so, quick rest & back to trees before needing head lamp

July 20th (Something in South Taconics - was thinking Everett but flexible could be Bear or Race, start time would be around 6:45 PM, quick rest (if bear or Everett about 1 1/4 hours up, Race is a little longer

July 21st Norwottuck & likely Bare from the Notch start time around 6:30 PM

Email me at mapaggioli4000@aol.com the day before or or PM me here before 12:00 the day of the hike if I should look for you at the trailhead.

Mike P.

Change in July 20 hiking plans

I’ve decided to skip the South Taconic hike today in favor of staying closer to home on the Airline Trail in Colchester, CT. Still planning on a Friday evening hike in the Holyoke Range.

MtnMagic

Saturday, the 29th, we're going to Mt Chocorua on Rte 112 via Champney Falls Trail for a 9 am start time. The parking area is about 1.3 miles east of Bear Notch Road. This moderate hike is 7.6 miles, with 2250' of elevaton gain, and a book time of 6 hours. It has spectacular 360° views!

Sunday, the 30th, we're hitting the Kinsmans via Lonesome Lake, Cascade Brook, Fishin' Jimmy and Kinsman Ridge trails. Meet at the Lafayette Campground parking lot I-93 on the south (left) side at the wooden bridge and picnic table. Round trip is 10.0 miles, 3550 feet of elevation gain, and a book time of 7.0 hours. We'll be staying longer as McRat has once again decided to bring ice cream sandwiches for distribution to the A.T. thru hikers! 48 ice cream sandwiches will be given away, 1 for each 4000 footer in NH!
All our hikes will be a moderate paced, mixed company hike, with tons of spectacular views, stops for water, rest, food, and a visit to the Lonesome lake hut to treat the croo with something most special. Hope you can join in on the fun. As always, let me know if you are joining us.

All the best,
Mtn Magic

Last edited:

Mike P.

What time on Sunday ar you meeting at trailhead? Can't hike but family will be up there & Sunday's planned activities include a drive to PNVC, a walk to Crystal Cascade, a drive up the auto road (1st time) & a hike of the Roost before hitting Storyland after 3:00

Figure we should be around the Route 16 Trailhead around 8:00 AM

MtnMagic

Why I have auto notify me of new posts checked and why I do not recieve them is very fustrating to me! We were there at 8 am waited, car spotted and drove on to Glen Boulder Trail. Wish we hooked up. A super day to hike! .

thetrailboss

Staff member
This Friday--Tripyramids for me. PM for more info...may contact you, MtnMagic, re: Sunday.