• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/1 - 2/2 Storm Discussion Thread

WinnChill

Are you talking at the higher altitudes?

Yes and no. Summit level warmer air (~4000-5000') may sneak in, barely melt the snowflakes, then refreeze into subfreezing surface/base air. While it could be wet snowflakes/raindrops at the summit, it could be tinging at the base. Still looks like a possibility for Snow/Stratton...will keep watch to see if it sneaks further north towards Bromley/Okemo/Magic.

Glenn

It is getting close to SoVT...but just barely holding off......

WinnChill

It is getting close to SoVT...but just barely holding off......

Radar looks like crap now with a midday break. Now we have to wait for the primary low over the eastern Great Lakes to pull through for some additional snow this afternoon/eve. Just hope we make minimums now!

Greg

Staff member
We ended up with about 2" of dense sleet. Very little ice accretion though. We dodged a big time bullet.

mlctvt

From the radar it looks like the storm has passed except for some of NH and Maine.
Any reports on accumulations from southern VT?

j law

Anyone know if the sleet made it north of Glen falls, NY into the Gore area?

I'm presuming Whiteface was ok...

Riverskier

Around 6-8 inches here in southern Maine and it appears to have stopped snowing? Talk about over hyped! The forecasters were running out of superlatives for this one, and it pretty much shut down the state of Maine today. And we get well under a foot? Oh well, happy to get any snow.

j law

The web cam at Whiteface shows that it's still dumping

deadheadskier

Staff member
Around 6-8 inches here in southern Maine and it appears to have stopped snowing? Talk about over hyped! The forecasters were running out of superlatives for this one, and it pretty much shut down the state of Maine today. And we get well under a foot? Oh well, happy to get any snow.

same here in Southeast NH. We actually got more snow yesterday than we did today I believe.

There appears to be another round though still in western PA??

Riverskier

same here in Southeast NH. We actually got more snow yesterday than we did today I believe.

There appears to be another round though still in western PA??

Yeah, I guess we are supposed to get a couple/few more inches this evening. However, as recently as this morning some forecasters were saying parts of southern Maine could easily see 18 inches. I don't think we are going to get anything close to that! I actually had a hunch that this storm would sort of fizzle out. That often seems to happen with heavily hyped storms and when we really get nailed it is from a sudden track shift or something. No complaints though, just glad to see it snowing! Should be a great weekend of skiing!

Euler

From the radar it looks like the storm has passed except for some of NH and Maine.
Any reports on accumulations from southern VT?

I'm saying about a 10-12 inches altogether here in Putney. NWS has a trained measurer in Woodford, just a few miles down the ridge from Mt. Snow and Woodford reports 22" total since this began yesterday. Down here in Putney the snow changed to sleety stuff from about 11-1PM and now precip has completely stopped. Some test steps into the yard indicate no crust issues, so we still made out pretty good!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
the snow that the dog sank in and could not manage through, has an icy crust on top and the dog can now walk on top of it. ugh. I want to know where that snow/freezing rain line is. It's going to determine my travel plans...

reports on snow quality please and thank you.

WinnChill

the snow that the dog sank in and could not manage through, has an icy crust on top and the dog can now walk on top of it. ugh. I want to know where that snow/freezing rain line is. It's going to determine my travel plans...

reports on snow quality please and thank you.

Probably still lying across north/central MA and curling back down towards southern Berks/Sprinfield.

WinnChill

I'm saying about a 10-12 inches altogether here in Putney. NWS has a trained measurer in Woodford, just a few miles down the ridge from Mt. Snow and Woodford reports 22" total since this began yesterday. Down here in Putney the snow changed to sleety stuff from about 11-1PM and now precip has completely stopped. Some test steps into the yard indicate no crust issues, so we still made out pretty good!

Thanks for the info. Now that this thing is winding down for the most part, I'm looking over other accumulations to see how we did. Some S VT and S NH resorts fell short--maybe, just maybe some tailend accumulations can put us in the low range. But most others thru Central/North VT/NH and ME seem to be working out. We'll keep catching up on the numbers. Overall, this could've worked out a little better but this is helping out many northern resorts thankfully.