• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/1 - 2/2 Storm Discussion Thread

jrmagic

What I really want is to get stuck at a ski area for multiple days....

Nothing better than that. Unfortunately its been a long time for me. In the ealier part of the last decade we got hit with a big storm the day I was supposed to leave ot head back home after skiing the entire February break and got an extra 2 days of serious pow. Now I ahve an internet connection up there so things don't generally take me by surprise unless NWS totally blows it less than 12 hours out.

mlctvt

bring your skis home this weekend, then you hit sundown for a mid-week pow day/night ;-)

Funny you said that. I keep all of my skis and gear at my condo in VT. I could have gotten to Sundown a night or two this week. I'm not keen on hauling all my gear back and forth. Maybe I can keep my old boots and Dynastar 8000s in CT since I haven't used either of them this year up in VT.
I suck at moguls though, I would want to mess up the Alpinezone zip line at Sundown .... :daffy:

mikestaple

Getting dangerous to ski trees in CT-- tree wells.... use caution and ski with a friend. :razz:

Pathetically, they are starting to form under my pines near the cape.

Dear Ullr,

Sir. I greatly appreciate your efforts this far. However, please adjust your blower 100 miles north.

Sincerely,
A Big Fan.

MommaBear

bring your skis home this weekend, then you hit sundown for a mid-week pow day/night ;-)

My son has ski club at Sundown. But because the way storms are landing the past 3 weeks, they haven't gotten there yet!

RISkier

I'd be fine with this one slamming the mountains and missing Southern RI. We have more snow on the ground than I can ever remember. Another foot and I'm not sure where we put the snow in our driveway. It's real pretty.

MommaBear

I'd be fine with this one slamming the mountains and missing Southern RI. We have more snow on the ground than I can ever remember. Another foot and I'm not sure where we put the snow in our driveway. It's real pretty.

Totally agree - it can miss central CT too. Take your life in your hands everytime you exit the drive or pretty much any side road cuz you can't see past the mounds. Last time we had piles this high my 18 year old was a toddler.

But it IS incredibly pretty.

Bumpsis

Another foot or so dropping on Boston will be a disaster. This place was just not built for this. Lots of homes with no driveways, no place to put the snow. Parking ends up being a huge hassle and driving/ walking around the giant piles of snow are getting to be hazardous.

Pleople around here are not exactly known for their good driving habits. Any adveristy only raises the stupid quotient. Not looking to what may be happening here later on this week. Skiing the Blue Hills isn't that much fun even with good snow.

I enjoyed snow when living in Buffalo, Boston, ehh.. not so much.

WinnChill

WinnChill is suggesting on snowforecast.com that the storm will benefit ALL ski areas. That would be a refreshing change!

I'll try to whip up a little storm forecast slide for Tuesday's presentation!

Glenn

NWS out of Albany is calling for about an inch of liquid precip. They say mixing could go as far up as the southern zone of the forecasts area; which I beleive is Litchfield County. Hopefully, it stays all snow in VT. We could use a good dump up here. And I'm not talking about what took place before I left for the mountain this AM. :lol:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Looks good for NE. Too bad I'm still 3 weeks away from skiing.

590x451_01301330_storm.png

Last edited:

WinnChill

What is the timing of this exactly? Trying to forgive which day and where to head.

Tried to break it down in our discussion...basically 2 waves--the first (weaker "jab") arrives Tues, then the stronger (uppercut) hits Wed into Wed night...clearing Thurs.

In reference to the map just posted above..I disagree with the "blizzard" designation. I just don't see this as a huge wind maker for us. Snow? Sure, but wind, no, which, by definition, is the making of a blizzard. This is exactly the kind of distortion we do NOT need in the weather community. :smash:

Last edited: