• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/1 - 2/2 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
OK, I'm just gonna say it - I've had enough of the snow in the lowlands where there aren't any chairlifts. Channel 7 in Boston just said we could get another 15-20" on Tues-Wed and I say Fuck That. Put the snow up north of Nashua and White River Junction and Glens Falls, not down here in central Mass. We have plenty, thanks......

Seriously - where are we going to put 18" of new snow? Nothing has melted in the last 3 weeks.

(1) I'll find a spot for more snow. Snow from the last storm has settled quite a bit already.

(2) I'd MUCH rather have more snow than cold/freezing rain on top of what we already have...

The thought of a thick layer of ice on top of all this stop here in CT makes me want to cry. I'd rather get another foot of snow then any ice. :cry:

This. I know that eventually all this stuff is going to have to melt, but my roof is starting to dam up too, despite it being a newer home. A neighbor has some internal leaking already. Some of the ice dams on older homes in my town look about a foot thick and extend up the roof from the gutters several feet. A big rain event which doesn't really melt the ice dams is going to be bad. I'd rather have 50-60 degrees and rain than 25-35 and rain. The better outcome would be all or mostly snow. I'm going to have to try the ice melt/dam socks this week.

2knees

i'm terrified at the thought of a 1/2 inch of ice or any significant rain. i cleared off all my roof areas i can reach but by upper roof is 25 feet up and i have no way of safely clearing it. this fucking blows.

Greg

Staff member
i'm terrified at the thought of a 1/2 inch of ice or any significant rain. i cleared off all my roof areas i can reach but by upper roof is 25 feet up and i have no way of safely clearing it. this fucking blows.

Be careful. I think I can hear billski typing up something to the effect that you're an "over-reactive flatlander...."

gmcunni

so i hear this will be a 2 storm convergence? i'm guessing the storm coming up the coast hits first and then the storm coming across the north hits right after?

usa_None_anim.gif

Greg

Staff member
so i hear this will be a 2 storm convergence? i'm guessing the storm coming up the coast hits first and then the storm coming across the north hits right after?

usa_None_anim.gif

Vice versa actually, I believe.

Greg

Staff member
oh, i heard snow to rain and back to snow so figured the northern track was the back-end snow.

I could be and probably am wrong. WinnChill will chime in I'm sure.

UVSHTSTRM

oh, i heard snow to rain and back to snow so figured the northern track was the back-end snow.

The one over the Midwest is the storm (snow event) that will bring a general 1-6 inches in New England on Tuesday mid morning to the late pm. Then we will get a break Tuesday late night and early Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning (commute time) the second storm (major storm) will cut across the mid-Atlantic and explode. The stuff you see in Florida/Georgia will not have any precip effect on us. The big storm has still yet to fully develope. The low is currently in the Southwest. FWIW, I am not a weather dude and didn't stay at a holiday inn.

reefer

Be careful. I think I can hear billski typing up something to the effect that you're an "over-reactive flatlander...."

....now that's a good one...............
and he can call me one also, I beleive getting all this crap down here really has affected my skiing negatively - I could have snuck in a couple more days................

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Ya got me Greg. Bada Bing!

Actually I'm as concerned as he is. I just had my roof shoveled off yesterday of 2.5 feet of snow largely because my porch collapsed on Saturday, so I feel his concern.

If I still lived up north, I'd have a metal roof anyways. It's very exciting when the snow slides off!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
....now that's a good one...............
and he can call me one also, I beleive getting all this crap down here really has affected my skiing negatively - I could have snuck in a couple more days................

Me too. Totally ruined my dreams of skiing and weekend running around my house with buckets and fans after the ice dams broke through to the interior, after the little porch incident.

For the records, I've been posting comments that we have enough snow down here, send it north. Looks to me like the most snow goes up north, but we still get enough down here to be a PITA. I still get out, but so do 500,000 other people and it's quite troublesome to get around.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Greg

Staff member
Ya got me Greg. Bada Bing!

Actually I'm as concerned as he is. I just had my roof shoveled off yesterday of 2.5 feet of snow largely because my porch collapsed on Saturday, so I feel his concern.

If I still lived up north, I'd have a metal roof anyways. It's very exciting when the snow slides off!

Sorry to hear about your porch. I guess the "snowmageddon" media hype has some validity this time. I'm still praying for snow, vs. rain Wednesday. Like I said though, it's (rain) gotta happen eventually.

WJenness

It was great fun sitting in the hot tub Saturday afternoon at my friend's place at Sunday River... watching all the snow slide off the roof of the condo building.

Some pretty good sized chunks fell, scaring the heck out of some of the people hanging out on the balconies.

-w

Glenn

Yeah, x2 on the "uh....." That seems a little over the top.

This mix is going to be "teh suck" here in CT. Not only for skiing, but for roofs, roads, basements. I know it's be said, but all snow is way easier to deal with.

SoVT looks good. I'm hoping our AZ SoVT Weather Spotter Euler can provide us with some updates throughout this event.

:daffy:

Euler

Yeah, x2 on the "uh....." That seems a little over the top.

This mix is going to be "teh suck" here in CT. Not only for skiing, but for roofs, roads, basements. I know it's be said, but all snow is way easier to deal with.

SoVT looks good. I'm hoping our AZ SoVT Weather Spotter Euler can provide us with some updates throughout this event.

:daffy:

I'll do my best. If the cards fall right I might find myself skiing on Weds during the storm...fingers crossed:snow:

4aprice

Looks like Blue Mountain might be the PA winner until the change over to ice.
StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Root:

I saw those tracks under Main Street chair and several under the 6-pack Wednesday and Sunday.. They're skiing some "off-limit" stuff at CBK too. If we get snow-ice-snow like predicted alot of that stuff will be "safe" in my opinion to ski and I'm a chicken in that regard.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

I'll do my best. If the cards fall right I might find myself skiing on Weds during the storm...fingers crossed:snow:

I've got my fingers crossed for ya! That could be a seriously awesome day. Let us know if you head out...I'll check the webcams...errr... "KevCams". :cool: