• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/1 - 2/2 Storm Discussion Thread

wa-loaf

What the hell is that? :-o

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

This I can live with, but move it on up north if anything.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Punxsutawney Phil will be discredited and banished this year.
It will be snowing in Punxsutawney on Feb 2nd.
So Phil doesn't see his shadow and winter will end early.
HOGWASH!
CT will be snow-covered until May!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Root:

I saw those tracks under Main Street chair and several under the 6-pack Wednesday and Sunday.. They're skiing some "off-limit" stuff at CBK too. If we get snow-ice-snow like predicted alot of that stuff will be "safe" in my opinion to ski and I'm a chicken in that regard.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I haven't skied under the 6 pack yet this season. I'm thinking I may get my opportunity tomorrow.

WJenness

Man, I'm so upset that I can't make woodchuck day at Stowe...

$39 for a stowe powder day?

Hard to beat that!

-w

WinnChill

Anyone have an educated guess as to what this sysytem may drop on the slopes in Maine? Sugarloaf and/or Sunday River?:daffy:

They'll be on the northern side of the heaviest snow, but still respectable amounts are possible for them. I would ballpark about a foot or perhaps just under--Sunday River/Black may get just a smidge more than SL/Saddle with the swath of heaviest snow spreading just south. We'll be continuing to monitor and adjusting amounts (on either side of a foot mostly). Hope that helps!

Madroch

Models trending toward the warmer solution for both "rounds"... while this is lame for us in the flatlands, it gives NNE some much needed love. Was planning on pre-positioning north on Tues. night but if we have a lot of ZR forecasted here am hesitant to leave the family to fend for themselves.

Any thoughts on a prolonged ice event for central and northern CT from people in the know?

snafu

Weather Channel local on the 8's went from "Wintry Mix" to "Heavy Snow" on Wednesday just within the past half-hour. I don't think they'll have the snow/sleet/ice line pinned down til after it happens.

Puck it

Models trending toward the warmer solution for both "rounds"... while this is lame for us in the flatlands, it gives NNE some much needed love. Was planning on pre-positioning north on Tues. night but if we have a lot of ZR forecasted here am hesitant to leave the family to fend for themselves.

Any thoughts on a prolonged ice event for central and northern CT from people in the know?

Family. There is no family on pow days.

mlctvt

for those interested in Southern VT here's NOAA Albany's latest snow forecast. 21 to 22inches for the Mount Snow and Magic areas!

It's my birthday Thursday and my wife and I are heading to Mount Snow for a long weekend. This is the best present I can think of.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Euler

I'll do my best. If the cards fall right I might find myself skiing on Weds during the storm...fingers crossed:snow:

Some good cards just fell..I was supposed to drive to Buffalo to pick up my wife Thursday, but she called and said she'd take a train to Albany on Friday or Saturday instead. Um...whatever will I do with this freed up Thursday now??!!:daffy::snow::eek:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Some good cards just fell..I was supposed to drive to Buffalo to pick up my wife Thursday, but she called and said she'd take a train to Albany on Friday or Saturday instead. Um...whatever will I do with this freed up Thursday now??!!:daffy::snow::eek:
I suspect you'll want to pre-position in SVT a day or two earlier so that you will be more readily be able to get her. :idea:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
These precip maps are just blowing my mind for Northern New England. We start at 14" and just go up from there. And that doesn't count mountain magic an d upslope. With no warm-up in sight, We'll be skiing PP for a long time, and the woods should be simply spectacular. Throw a dart at the map, anywhere you go on Thursday will be a powder day! I don't think anything more can go wrong at my house, so I'll schedule a tram inspection and a woods survey for later this week.

Glenn

Glad to her some of you will be @ Mt snow....I'm jelous. But please post some updates for those of us who will have to wait until the weekend. You guys are gonna get some good turns in!

Looks like this was updated to a "warning" this afternoon. I can't get a good idea on amount in SoVT based on the forecast discussion. I'm thinking theyre not sure about how much warm air will sneak in.

WinnChill

Is the day to go Wed. or Thurs.? Need to figure this out now. Help!

If you want to fight lousy road conditions, looks like heaviest snow thru Wed AM easing a bit late PM (a bit of dry slotting?) but still light/moderate snow carrying into overnight. It'll be done by Thurs AM with clearing.

2knees

Winn, any idea what will happen around hartford on wednesday? The local weather guys are talking about hours of freezing rain.

abc

Right on cue...

Within 10 minutes of the predicted snow starting time! Snow started to fall in earnest at 11:50 in the city...

Last edited: