• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/1 - 2/2 Storm Discussion Thread

Euler

I suspect you'll want to pre-position in SVT a day or two earlier so that you will be more readily be able to get her. :idea:

I live in SoVT so no pre-positioning needed. It's fairly rare that my time off coincides with a storm and this time it does!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ah, a beautiful sight

After last week's northerly let-down, the north will be blessed!

A beautiful sight!

N-EAST_WRF_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_48HR.gif

WinnChill

Winn, any idea what will happen around hartford on wednesday? The local weather guys are talking about hours of freezing rain.

The track shifted a bit north so yes, you'll be in a freezing rain/sleet band. These precip bands set up and stay in a west to east fashion rather than the bands moving through...that's why it'll be a long duration event. Sorry :sad:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Matt Noyes has some interesting tweets last night/this AM

I guess 11:35PM is a safe enough time (enough folks in bed) to mention that another storm seems likely next Tue/Wed. "Whateva"

1-2 punch, no, check that: 1-2-3 punch!
I'm thinking that Friday may be a great day to ski my brains out and get stuck for the next storm!

Was just talking w/producer about "maybe a nice spring...after the epic floods...and unending mud. Maybe nice summer..."

Euler

It's starting to snow lightly in SoVT...kids' school canceled today and I'm sure will be tomorrow again. I'm ready!!!

wa-loaf

I guess 11:35PM is a safe enough time (enough folks in bed) to mention that another storm seems likely next Tue/Wed. "Whateva"

Leaving early morning Tues for Tahoe, just as long as I can get out ...

WinnChill

Kids home from school today and tomorrow. Forecasts are updated...will let them ride for now and watch the fun begin! ENJOY EVERYONE!!!

:daffy::beer:

Glenn

Euler,
Outstanding! Glad things are working out for you. How do you get to the mountain from your place? Do you hit 30, then cut through Newfane?

anyone,
Where does one find the NWS maps with predicted snowfall? I was on the NWS Albany site last night and couldn't find the darn thing.

WJenness

Just commuted from Lowell, MA to Woburn, MA

Started totally dry... a couple flakes by the time I got to Billerica, light snow in Burlington, MA, and looks to be a moderate snowfall here in Woburn.

HERE WE GO!

-w

Puck it

Well, looks like I will have to get the seconds on Thurs. My wife is in NYC and Jet Blue cancelled all flights and she can not get a flight back until Fri. So she is taking Acela home tomorrow at 440. Oh well. Hopefully glades will be still be good.

wa-loaf

Coming down pretty good still. It's only been snowing for 2 hrs and I have about 3 inches on the ground already.

Euler

Euler,
Outstanding! Glad things are working out for you. How do you get to the mountain from your place? Do you hit 30, then cut through Newfane?

Snowing hard now. Nice big flakes.

To go from Putney to Mt. Snow I go from Rt 5 to the long Dummerston covered bridge via some back roads, then what you said...30 for a couple miles, then through Williamsville, South Newfane, East Dover etc.

jr05

In Tewksbury, MA for the moment and it is coming down hard, been snowing since 8:30 this morning.

Had a trip to Killington booked for this weekend since the middle of December. Guess I couldn't have asked for better weather!

Greg

Staff member
16 degrees, fine moderate snow. About 3" do far.

WJenness

I'm questioning the wisdom of some of our local officials...

Everything I've seen everywhere has said "The storm will be at it's peak around mid-day. Try to stay off the roads mid-day."

Looking at the school cancellation list online, I see a lot of 11:30 and noon dismissals. What are these people thinking?

-w

WJenness

In Tewksbury, MA for the moment and it is coming down hard, been snowing since 8:30 this morning.

Had a trip to Killington booked for this weekend since the middle of December. Guess I couldn't have asked for better weather!

I've got a soccer game in Tewksbury (indoor) tonight... I'm wondering if it'll happen.

-w

WJenness

Plow guys in the parking lot have gone from 'just sitting there' to plowing... looks like about 2 or 3 inches so far (based on what they're pushing around).

-w