• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/1 - 2/2 Storm Discussion Thread

Puck it

I'm questioning the wisdom of some of our local officials...

Everything I've seen everywhere has said "The storm will be at it's peak around mid-day. Try to stay off the roads mid-day."

Looking at the school cancellation list online, I see a lot of 11:30 and noon dismissals. What are these people thinking?

-w
. My daughter goes to Austin Prep and we got a notice this morning at 5AM that school will be released at 1PM. She is a new driver so opted for my son's Liberty that is sitting in the driveway.

hammer

I'm questioning the wisdom of some of our local officials...

Everything I've seen everywhere has said "The storm will be at it's peak around mid-day. Try to stay off the roads mid-day."

Looking at the school cancellation list online, I see a lot of 11:30 and noon dismissals. What are these people thinking?

-w
They have had so many cancellations that they are trying to get in a school day if at all possible. Hopefully they didn't make a bad call.

WJenness

They have had so many cancellations that they are trying to get in a school day if at all possible. Hopefully they didn't make a bad call.

Keeping the kids in school all day would have been better than releasing them at the height of the storm...

I'd be rather upset if I was a bus driver...

Or a parent who now has to leave work early to meet their kids at home...

-w

wa-loaf

Keeping the kids in school all day would have been better than releasing them at the height of the storm...

I'd be rather upset if I was a bus driver...

Or a parent who now has to leave work early to meet their kids at home...

-w

I think somehow they weren't expecting it to snow as hard as it is as soon as it is. I pulled out of the driveway at 8:30 to drop off my son at the babysitters. There was already 2 inches of snow on the ground and a sanding truck drove by. I was thinking that isn't going to do much now ... didn't see any plows out while I was in town either.

WJenness

I'm currently watching a guy in the parking lot BEAT his car with a towel or a blanket (can't tell which) to get the snow off... I don't think I've ever seen that method before...

-w

wa-loaf

I'm currently watching a guy in the parking lot BEAT his car with a towel or a blanket (can't tell which) to get the snow off... I don't think I've ever seen that method before...

-w

Gotta let the snow know who's the boss.

Glenn

Snowing hard now. Nice big flakes.

To go from Putney to Mt. Snow I go from Rt 5 to the long Dummerston covered bridge via some back roads, then what you said...30 for a couple miles, then through Williamsville, South Newfane, East Dover etc.

Cool! East/West road...know that one really well. We're only about a mile/mile and a half up from the covered bridge. If you went straight at that intersection and stayed on Green Mtn Camp Rd, you'd come to the street we're on.

bvibert

Staff member
Closing in on 4".

I LOVE all the snow, but today is kinda like torture to me. I'm sitting here at work, not skiing. Tonight I'll be sitting at my other job, watching everyone else ski. When I get home around 11pm it's pretty likely that my driveway will be completely uncleared... :-?

Not complaining though... Especially if I can figure out a way to get out skiing tomorrow... :spread:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Around 4" of very smooth snow here at Blue. Visibility is shit though. Freezing rain is coating my goggles over.

Greg

Staff member
Based on radar, looks like one more wave. We'll probably get 6" out of this before the slop tomorrow...

Grassi21

Winding down here in the 'bury. Gonna clear the drive way to make room for tomorrows skating rink.

BLESS

got about 4-6ish inches here in central rhody, looks like its either stopped or changed over to sleet.....my wife is a school nurse, theyre getting out at 12...makes no sense to me. I realize they wanna try and get the day in because the snow days are piling up, but its just not worth it to me to risk people driving....so be it if you gotta work and extra week in june...you got the day off one way or another....SMH at some of these superintendents here...it was pretty much at its worst here between 6-9am, right for everyones commute.

Glenn

Let's talk SoVT:

SO...HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS COULD BE MORE LOCALIZED. STILL...WITH
THE ANOMALOUS MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SYSTEM...AND POSSIBLY
SOME CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS...LOWER END OF FINAL SNOW TOTALS IN AREAS
THAT SEE MOSTLY SNOW...WILL BE WELL OVER A FOOT...WITH AREAS WITHIN
THE MULTI BANDS AROUND 2 FEET. SOME HINTS OF CSI IN SATURATED
LAYER IN CROSS SECTION ACROSS THE REGION DURING HEAVIEST SNOW
WEDNESDAY. SNOWFALL RATES IN THE ENHANCED BANDS SHOULD BE 2"+ PER
HOUR OR MORE. SNOW RATIOS LOOK TO BE AROUND CLIMO OVER MOST
AREAS...AS THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE IS PREDICTED TO BE QUITE
ELEVATED. SO THE SNOW MAY BE DRY...BUT A BIT MORE DENSE AND HEAVY