• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

Good find NEK! Not that we didn't see it coming but it sure does block the view of the mountain. My brother will be pissed. He loves the parking lot view.

xlr8r

Looks a little plain and bland compared to the Tram Haus and Hotel Jay. I still don't get why they are putting hotels over at Stateside. They should be putting all the lodging Tramside to create a pedestrian friendly base village, and leave stateside for day skiers. For example there will be people staying at Stateside that will want to use the Waterpark and/or Resturaunts at Tramside. Why make everybody drive or take buses to get between the resorts amenities.

fbrissette

Looks a little plain and bland compared to the Tram Haus and Hotel Jay .

The tramhouse lodge is by far the best looking building out there. The main facade of the new hotel is one big rectangle that lacks architectural details. As to why they did not locate it tram side- I think it was a lot simpler to put it there and they really needed to upgrade state lodge anyway. It might also provide ski in ski out at a lower price point to those not interested in the aqua park.

I thought the golf cottages would be empty most of the time but if looks like they are one of the most popular accommodation, probably due to their lower price point. The improved shuttle service works quite well.

My main concern is with crowds. New visitors come and they love the place. Word on the street in Montreall is that you pretty much need to book NOW for next year spring break. They need the west bowl now to thin out the crowds and provide wind proof terrain.

Last edited:

BigJay

Looks a little plain and bland compared to the Tram Haus and Hotel Jay. I still don't get why they are putting hotels over at Stateside. They should be putting all the lodging Tramside to create a pedestrian friendly base village, and leave stateside for day skiers. For example there will be people staying at Stateside that will want to use the Waterpark and/or Resturaunts at Tramside. Why make everybody drive or take buses to get between the resorts amenities.

Yes.create a mini village... Disney stuff like tremblant. Not spread it out all over any piece of available land. Concentrate the activity tram side and keep stateside for skiersmwho don't mind (much) a stinky bathroom and basic burgers and fries... Noneed for 2-3 restaurant option stateside... We got that tramside.

Too late!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The proposed lodge looks kinda bland. Not a great trend. Tram Lodge great, Hotel Jay okay, Stateside meh. All lack a distinctive and unique architecture, all three buildings could have been located any where. Was thinking about this while making a rare visit to Bolton today. Their buildings are old, small, and not very functional (at least from a day tripper perspective) but they are at least distinctive and different, they are part of Bolton's identity. I don't look at those buildings and think a design firm has probably built a few dozen just like it.

Agreed bummer on the lack of view of the mountain from behind the lodge.

Look at those stairs on the right hand side of the building. Looks like more than two floors with of stairs. I guess if you are going to Taxi chair, that gets you quite a bit higher than the existing chalet before you need to start hoofing it up the snow.

The stairs struck me as well. Looks like a big hike up to... what? Look at the other side and the elevation drops down a level. Faaaacccckkk, I just hiked up these stairs and then I'm going down?

I have been trying to hold back. But really, rivercOil is correct, it is a barn.

fbrissette

The stairs struck me as well. Looks like a big hike up to... what? Look at the other side and the elevation drops down a level. Faaaacccckkk, I just hiked up these stairs and then I'm going down?

I have been trying to hold back. But really, rivercOil is correct, it is a barn.

The stairs make sense from the point of view of the hotel clients. They don't want to make them walk to the lifts in the morning. They'll probably have the ski lockers near the top of the stairs or at least an elevator away.

On the other hand, the repositioning of the lifts entails to quite a bit of going up anyway. The taxi quad is up quite away and the Bonnie will be just as high. The stairs will make it easier.

I'll admit that for day trippers, this is not a welcome change.

drjeff

Beaver Creek has a series of 3 escalators to get guest up to and then back down between the snow surface/lifts and the main base village drop off area. Was WAY better than stairs, especially when you've got kids and all the gear for you and them.

Who knows, maybe Jay will continue to impress and innovate and you'll be standing, not hiking up that area on the conceptual map......

kingdom-tele

Beaver Creek has a series of 3 escalators to get guest up to and then back down between the snow surface/lifts and the main base village drop off area. Was WAY better than stairs, especially when you've got kids and all the gear for you and them.

Who knows, maybe Jay will continue to impress and innovate and you'll be standing, not hiking up that area on the conceptual map......

a new generation of raised J?

nothing screams NEK like shedding tears over a 100ft uphill walk, think of it as a warm up for the long cold lift ride

looking forward to the magic carpet for my car up 242, that road is really rough, and the snow can be slippery at times

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

Clearly drjeff is in the target demographic of all of these changes. It ain't the rest of us concerned Jay skiers. Not knocking you drjeff, just making an observation based on your observation. In my world, if I ever see escalators at a ski area to transport me to the slopes, I'm turning around and getting back in my car.

BigJay

a new generation of raised J?

nothing screams NEK like shedding tears over a 100ft uphill walk, think of it as a warm up for the long cold lift ride

looking forward to the magic carpet for my car up 242, that road is really rough, and the snow can be slippery at times

sure thing. A magic carpet to bring you get back from the dip. People from Jersey will get excited.

that walk up to the lifts was never as bad as it's going to be... Think of it, you were walking slowy, contemplating the mountain and the snow that piled up since the groomers did their work.

now, you'll be walking up stairs, freshly shoveled with tons of sand and salt. You,ll have to walk between the cafe and cigarette buds from guests. After a 10min hike, you 'll start to see the mountain... And the lift line!

...thne you'll remember how peaceful things use to be!

i'll miss the stateside globes all lit up as i you're coming down a last run from the tram on a snowy and dark december evening... That's my Jay moment i'll always remember.

kingdom-tele

sure thing. A magic carpet to bring you get back from the dip. People from Jersey will get excited.

that walk up to the lifts was never as bad as it's going to be... Think of it, you were walking slowy, contemplating the mountain and the snow that piled up since the groomers did their work.

now, you'll be walking up stairs, freshly shoveled with tons of sand and salt. You,ll have to walk between the cafe and cigarette buds from guests. After a 10min hike, you 'll start to see the mountain... And the lift line!

...thne you'll remember how peaceful things use to be!

i'll miss the stateside globes all lit up as i you're coming down a last run from the tram on a snowy and dark december evening... That's my Jay moment i'll always remember.

Not to worry big jay, they will have some framed pics hanging in the back hallways you will be able to relive those memories through :)

drjeff

Clearly drjeff is in the target demographic of all of these changes. It ain't the rest of us concerned Jay skiers. Not knocking you drjeff, just making an observation based on your observation. In my world, if I ever see escalators at a ski area to transport me to the slopes, I'm turning around and getting back in my car.

No knock taken Riv! Just saying what i've seen at other places. And let's be honest, the Jay of 2013 (and likely beyond) isn't exactly the Jay of 10 years ago (and more) about who they're targeting as a desired demographic

kingdom-tele

No knock taken Riv! Just saying what i've seen at other places. And let's be honest, the Jay of 2013 (and likely beyond) isn't exactly the Jay of 10 years ago (and more) about who they're targeting as a desired demographic

but, but, but, it's unchangeable!:)

look forward to the new marketing campaign, a line up of people riding a magic carpet to the lift 100ft away in a raging snow squall all huddle together, the caption will read...

RESILIENCE...

...not everyone is cut out to ride a carpet. Raise'em Jay.

JPTracker

now, you'll be walking up stairs, freshly shoveled with tons of sand and salt.

Haven't you noticed at the new Hotel Jay. No ice or salt on the walkways. They installed heating pipes in the stairs and sidewalks to eliminate the ice. Way to go green.

BigJay

Haven't you noticed at the new Hotel Jay. No ice or salt on the walkways. They installed heating pipes in the stairs and sidewalks to eliminate the ice. Way to go green.

Nope. Haven't noticed. Haven't walked up those stairs in the winter. Smart move!

Wonder if they'll pave the parking on stateside to make it more "urban shoes" friendly... who needs winter boots anyways!
;)

BigJay

Not to worry big jay, they will have some framed pics hanging in the back hallways you will be able to relive those memories through :)

As long as they post photos of the old days, i'll have something to point a finger at! Like an old man: "Remember when we had to walk in the snow to get to the lifts? No stinkin' carpet to get you movin back then"

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
shakedown tailgate
April 6th

Deck_Party_State_Chalet_2013.jpg

BenedictGomez

if I ever see escalators at a ski area to transport me to the slopes, I'm turning around and getting back in my car.

THIS.

Good God, I hear crap like this and it makes me want to strap myself to a place like Plattekill (hippy + redwood tree style) and make sure it never goes anywhere.

A magic carpet to bring you get back from the dip. People from Jersey will get excited.

You're not staying current with your Vermonter-held stereotypes; according to WCAX, we're still lost in the woods somewhere off Killington.

let's be honest, the Jay of 2013 (and likely beyond) isn't exactly the Jay of 10 years ago (and more) about who they're targeting as a desired demographic

I'm beginning to think Jay Peak is desperately looking up to Stowe, like the unathletic valedictorian who wants to be the high school quarterback instead - he may sadly never realize that being the smartest kid in school was actually really cool, and try as hard as he may he's never going to throw the football better than that quarterback he wishes he was.

Yeah, you can afford that when you're being handed boatloads of EB5 money.