• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

gregnye

The sheer number of yellow buildings on this plan is amazing (and IMHO not in a good way).

The entire road network between the base areas a Route 242 is completely realligned as well. State Side and Tram Side each have their own separate entrances.

Looking at that area of houses and condos surrounding the new access roads, they are going to have to run a shuttle bus system around in there.

Or build a subway!! :spin:

JPTracker

Interesting comments made at the last Jay Planning Commission and Zoning Board.

From the minutes of the March 12, 2012 meeting:

8. Mr. Elander presented a new master plan map. Mr. Elander and Mr. Moore reviewed it with the board and answered questions about the plan. They stated their next projects for permitting are, the Lodge and Townhouse project, the renovation of the Australia house, and a new mountain learning center. He said this will change the resort wide Planned Unit Development map and he will submit a new map to the board.

I assume the Lodge is the Stateside lodge and the Townhouse project is the one the just submitted the permit for. Is the Mountain Learning Center part of Stateside?

Can't wait for the Australia House, the original Tram base lodge, to be renovated. It is an embarrassment compared to everything else now.

9. Mr. Kapeluck questioned Mr. Elander about the plan for resort wide parking. He stated he feels the parking is a problem and he feels this is a safety issue. Mr. Elander said they have plans to build another parking garage and the EB 5 program will fund it. The do not currently know where it will be located but it is on the top of their list of things to fix

I don't see any parking garage on the Master Plan. I hope they don't do this. The one they already built is the biggest eyesore of everything they have built so far. Or at least put it somewhere or build it such that it can't be seen so easy.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The sheer number of yellow buildings on this plan is amazing (and IMHO not in a good way).

The entire road network between the base areas a Route 242 is completely realligned as well. State Side and Tram Side each have their own separate entrances.

Looking at that area of houses and condos surrounding the new access roads, they are going to have to run a shuttle bus system around in there.
If they eventually do fully build out to this plan, it could be bigger than Sugarloaf. With the addition of West Bowl, the terrain absolutely will be bigger than the Loaf and the bed base would just be simply massive. This could be the most on mountain bed base in New England if fully built. :-o

I'm all for Tramside and Stateside having two different entrances. It really sucked when they closed the shortcut to Tramside and made everyone go in the main entrance. That has to be an extra and worthless 1+ mile round trip up and around for folks coming up Jay side.

Magog Fishy

The yellow buildings might denote what is already funded by the EB $. I think something like 70 or 75 more of the golf cottages are going in this summer alone, but not sure if the new admin bldg is going up this summer plus Sky Haus renovation/restaurant. I think the new Tram Side access road might be going in this summer also. Also the lifts. Thought I also heard there is going to be a grocery store Tram Side -- think it is going to be fairly small; anybody know if it is going to be in a renovated Austria Haus? Also, not sure what is happening with the Snowline. Too much going on to keep track of! Going to be a busy summer for them! Oh yeah, then there is Tram Side parking garage #2.

IIRC (I'm 99% sure I do) Bill has publicly state in the past that he wants to be the second largest ski area in Vertmont, after Killington. Don't think they will get there with the terrain acreage (although if you count all the SC/BC, they might), since they don't really have lift-served terrain expansion options after West Bowl is built...well I should say it is unlikely they would.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not sure I agree with the comment that Jay will be bigger than the Loaf. Sugarloaf proper is about double the size of Jay as is, never mind factoring in the terrain over on Burnt Mountain. It will certainly be large though.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Amazing how the timing has worked so well for Bill Stenger. Get rid of MSSI, get EB-5 money before the program got hot, and really make something of the place. To his credit though he has been at JPR for 30 or so years.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not sure I agree with the comment that Jay will be bigger than the Loaf. Sugarloaf proper is about double the size of Jay as is, never mind factoring in the terrain over on Burnt Mountain. It will certainly be large though.
I'm factoring in all skiable terrain. With the Loaf, if trees aren't cut, it ain't skiable. Whereas with Jay, you have skiable terrain between essentially every trail on the mountain and well beyond its boarders with considerable side country. Maybe that is not a fair comparison, but Burnt isn't going to be all accessible by a lift either and who knows how much will actually get cut.

Jay's "go anywhere" woods makes it ski pretty massive to me. I did a three day trip there with a group two years ago. Even after three days, we still hadn't skied half of what is available. Add in West Bowl and all the possible tree skiing over there and then you have West all the way to the D off 242 and Big J, that is pretty damn expansive.

bigbog

that's the only part of the project that really bothers me, just because it would suck to come out Beaver Pond / Andres and be greeted by a wall of condos.

Everything else seems in line with what they're trying to build Jay into; a 500K skier visit major resort drawing wealthy second home buyers from Boston and Montreal.

Whatever it takes for mo $$$ before the owners turn 50. Condos are the name of the game these days......
A trip to a resort these days is such an aesthetic trip....:roll:

Mpdsnowman

419706_310367079017307_154554981265185_777254_553084242_n.jpg

:p Im just gonna sit at my slopeside condo and wait for all this to transpire...

One thing I will say is they have done a great job over the last two years implementing these growth changes. They made my life alot easier as far as putting trips together. They do have a way to go but they do still hold onto the basis of low key as compared to some other resorts. Their waterpark is a great addition to the package. But the place is coming along, stenger's the man bottom line lol...

Now if they could only get a real pizza shop I would be happy lol....I miss the old one lol...

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Now if they could only get a real pizza shop I would be happy lol...

Jay Peak doesnt sell pizza.

that's the only part of the project that really bothers me, just because it would suck to come out Beaver Pond / Andres and be greeted by a wall of condos.

Everything else seems in line with what they're trying to build Jay into; a 500K skier visit major resort drawing wealthy second home buyers from Boston and Montreal.

Oh, you mean the type of gigantic and ultra-modern place that I drive up to northern Vermont to avoid? Good ta' know.

kingdom-tele

One thing I will say is they have done a great job over the last two years implementing these growth changes. They made my life alot easier as far as putting trips together. They do have a way to go but they do still hold onto the basis of low key as compared to some other resorts. Their waterpark is a great addition to the package. But the place is coming along, stenger's the man bottom line lol...

"low key" is a pretty broad descriptor.

$650 adult
$189 5 and under
looking forward to $60 day pass VT rates

really coming along

RENO

419706_310367079017307_154554981265185_777254_553084242_n.jpg

:p Im just gonna sit at my slopeside condo and wait for all this to transpire...

Now if they could only get a real pizza shop I would be happy lol....I miss the old one lol...

Can't beat that location! Wish we were closer to Jay Peak. We would definitely hit there more often. There's definitely not a lot of good pizza places in VT. Where I live in Central NJ we have a great pizza place practically on every corner! :lol:

Mpdsnowman

"low key" is a pretty broad descriptor.

$650 adult
$189 5 and under
looking forward to $60 day pass VT rates

really coming along

By low key I mean atmosphere not pricing...I put on trips around the country at many resorts..Jay peak, powder mt, UT those are low key resorts...Places like Stowe, Killington, VT or steamboat CO are more touristy places...

$60.00 is not alot for a day pass..and honestly who pays for a day pass, you can always get deals....especially at jay...

I have not paid more than $35.00 per day to ride at jay peak..

kingdom-tele

By low key I mean atmosphere not pricing...I put on trips around the country at many resorts..Jay peak, powder mt, UT those are low key resorts...Places like Stowe, Killington, VT or steamboat CO are more touristy places...

$60.00 is not alot for a day pass..and honestly who pays for a day pass, you can always get deals....especially at jay...

I have not paid more than $35.00 per day to ride at jay peak..

the irony is terrific.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I would relate the size to Sunday River more than Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is always going to own Jay on vertical size. However, in reality Sugarloaf is fairly compact 2.2 miles side to side (including the hike to Burnt Mtn and NOT including that double chair that goes down to the golf course). Sugaloaf also only has a single base area.

Sunday River has multiple base areas and is over 3 miles end to end but has limited side country.

Neither have the developed side country access Jay has. The limited open trail development in Jay's West Bowl is going to leave A LOT of lift served options for marked glade trails and natural tree skiing.
I would add that this also really opens up the extra side country options off North Jay down to Route 105.

Sugarloaf:
SugarloafOverview.jpg

Jay:
Jay_Peak_overview.jpg

Sunday River:
SundayRiverOverview.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Regarding side country access at Sugarloaf; I think there's a lot of stuff that most people are unaware of. As an example, I found out this past weekend that some of the best skiing on the Mountain is actually off the west side of the mountain heading down to Caribou Pond road. Similar situation to 242 at Jay. Of course unlike Jay, Sugarloaf didn't get the snow this winter to make most of that terrain skiable.

kingdom-tele

Regarding side country access at Sugarloaf; I think there's a lot of stuff that most people are unaware of. As an example, I found out this past weekend that some of the best skiing on the Mountain is actually off the west side of the mountain heading down to Caribou Pond road. Similar situation to 242 at Jay. Of course unlike Jay, Sugarloaf didn't get the snow this winter to make most of that terrain skiable.

Every hill in the NE is this way. Some just market the obvious a little more than others. some even cut trails for its access.

kudos to J though, from a business perspective it really seems to be thriving, I would have expected some financial catastrophe by now per the NEK norm.

nice pics NEK, thanks for the comparison.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
One thing about the West Bowl has me scratching my head a bit. Why are there two lifts unloading just below Doll Peak? A single lift would be able to serve this entire area (HSQ or more likely HS6). Reallign slightly to start where the "J" lift bottom station is and end it at the top of Lift "K".

Jay_Peak_West_Bowl_altenLiftline.jpg