• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New To Hiking

Greg

Staff member
pizza said:
I've read enough trip reports, from beginners and experienced alike, to know that it's worthwhile..

but that's not the reason I recommended. I recommended it because it's his state's highpoint.
had he been writing from alaska, I would have recommended denali, just for fun.
Gotcha. I only ask because both Katahdin and Washington are not trivial undertakings so neither fit the "newbie" nor "4-6 mile range" criteria. Oh....and he's a she. ;)

thaller1

Thanks everyone! Great insight! I'm located in North Yarmouth (Southern, Maine) so I think some of the NH Peaks might be closer so I may head to Crawford Notch this weekend...

Mike P.

It it stays humid, look out for late afternoon (sometimes earlier) thunderstorms.

Another worthwhile (although I have not been myself) is Crawford Dome on the Davis Path, 5 miles RT 3,122 summit bald with great views.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
From Yarmouth it's a relatively short drive to the Conway area. There are many good 4-6 mile hikes around there.

In the Crawford Notch area consider Mt Crawford via the Davis Path, Mt Webster or Mt Jackson or both via the Webster-Jackson Loop, Mt Hale which is off the Zealand Road, or Nancy and Norcross Ponds. There are many shorter and longer hikes in the area. You should probably pick up a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide which has all the maps and trail descriptions, plus many suggested hikes.

Places like Mt Washington and Katahdin are very nice but there's no point going there simply because they are the highest point in the state. Washington is a zoo, with a road, a train, cafeteria, giftshop, and 100's of people so it's nothing like a wilderness experience. For challanging hikes there are many better choices nearby such as Jefferson or Adams. Most hikers eventually bag Washington, but frankly it's a let down.

Katahdin, on the otherhand, is a wonderful place that remains wild and remote, at the expense of having very strict access and hiking rules. All routes up are good, and there's lots more to see in the park that is even more remote, but that's probably for a bit later when you feel more comfortable with longer hikes.

-dave-

kickstand

hey, thaller,

if you head up to Crawford Notch, I would also recommend Mts. Tom, Field and Avalon. These can all be access from the Crawford Depot. There isn't much in the way of views from Field or Tom (they nice, but nothing spectacular), but there are from Avalon, even though Avalon is lower in elevation than Field and Tom.

there are tons of great hikes up in that area. Dave mentions some good ones. If there is a link to his site in his profile, go check it out and read some trip reports. Those may help you out in deciding, as well. Also, here is a link to a nice site. Even though it is dedicated to the 4000'ers, it has some good info.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/index.html

and be sure to wave to the Chalet de Kickstand as you drive 302 thru Intervale! My renters will appreciate the love!

bigbog

THaller1,
If you find the extra day(s) for the driving to/fro...the weather around Katahdin and northward has cleared up more times than it has to its south:lol: Several mountains on an off the beaten track list would be (in Piscataquis Co., ascending in lattitude):
Big Spencer Mtn..3230', NNE of Moosehead Lake,
Soubunge Mtn.....2104', ~10mi west of Katahdin Range
Traveler Mtn........3541', ~13mi north of Katahdin Range...combines paddling South Branch Ponds
...these are a few hikes that come under the once you're there... category...:lol:

......Acadia's Cadillac Mtn. is terrific as well.

$.01...

thaller1

So many options!! I think Mt. Crawford is going to be the hike of choice tomorrow..via Davis Path.

We're planning a trip to Acadia in September and plan on hiking Cadillac Mtn then...and we may even attempt to bike it.

Greg

Staff member

kickstand

David Metsky said:
Tom, Field, and Willey are more than the 4-6 mile limit in the OP. Avalon with or without Field would probably be just at the 6 mile mark. Or Tom by itself.

-dave-
I re-read my post and it was a bit vague. I was suggesting any one or combination of those mountains, not all of them in the same trip. Mt Avalon by itself is about 4 miles, so I'm guessing any other single peak (or at least Tom and Field from Crawford Depot) would be pushing the 6 mile mark.

thaller1

Greg

Staff member
thaller1 said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe I need to rethink the plan. Is there a place along the way to swim?
IIRC, the trail follows the ridgeline up for the most part so nothing right along the trail.

awf170

thaller1 said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe I need to rethink the plan. Is there a place along the way to swim?

Go to the Gorge after. It is along the Cog railway road (Base Road) before you get to the intersection with Jefferson notch. It has jumps between 10 and 30 ft. The water is pretty freakin' cold though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ga2ski

T - as evertyone has said there are great hikes in nortehrn NH. Once lil ga2ski gets a little bigger, all four of us (me, wifey, the kid and the dog) will have to meet you and Whaller for some hiking. I bet we could talk Bob and his fam into it as well.

If you want a hike with some swimming along the trail try Mount Carrigan. Here are some pix :http://www.alpinezone.com/gallery-archives/Mt-Carrigain-07-23-05

Mike P.

RT to Carrigain on the most popular route is 10 miles.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
pizza said:
Ok, hit up your neighboring state's highpoint via the TRT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_(New_Hampshire)

Then come back to Katahdin. Then join the highpointer's club, and read your name in pizza's "milestones" column in the quarterly newsletter. Then do the other 48 state highpoints.

Then thank your alpinezone friends.
as someone who's first hike was mount washington, i strongly advise against it. try to keep it around or below 2000 vertical gain with good footing. no need to overdue things.

a lot of white mountain suggests so far, but thaller lives in north yarmouth, ME. might as well choose something closer to home if possible. how far is acadia from where you live thaller? that place has lots of fantastic short hikes (good mountain biking too). if you do the whites, 302 puts you in the conway area so try some of the shorter trails off the kanc: potash, hedgehog, or even chocorua which can be busy but has nice views. could also do the moats or kearsage in the conway area.

Last edited:

thaller1

I'm about 4 hours from Acadia unfortunately.. a beautiful area. We will be camping there in September and hope to get a hike or 2 in.

Today..well..we woke up late, hubby was tired and apprehensive...so I dragged him kicking and screaming all the way to Bethel... by then it was already 11:00am..we attempted to hike Sunday River...the grass was up past our knees and we were stepping in water up over our ankles... so, we canned that...

We then headed to Grafton Notch... too late to hike Baldpate we decided to take one of the shorter loops..the Eyebrow Loop.. about a 2 mile hike.. and wow was it ever steep...at some points it was a four limb climb..we had cables to help pull us up and ladders built into the rocks...

The bugs were as thick as they get and hubby complained all the way up.. when we finally reached the top we heard 2 large crashes of thunder..no time to soak in the view... down we fled....and the rain came... in buckets..

Only one casualty..I slipped on a wet rock and took a good chunck out of finger, but it could have been much worse. Luckilly, I brought my first aid kit.

Once we reached the parking lot the rain stopped and the sun came out. We climbed into the car and changed out our hiking boots for sandals and reflected..

What had started out as a miserable day turned out pretty good and we're both ready to do it again!

Anyone know the elevation of this trail???

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
in regards to ski trails, they usually make for not the best hiking trails as you found out. though i hike ski trails often during the summer, the combination of high grass (which makes observing footing and avoiding holes difficult if not impossible) and unrelenting steepness with no rock steps make for not the best hiking. i opt for the hiking trails on ski mountains when ever possible, but i don't think the river has much for hiking trails, so there you have it!