• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How crowded does Sunapee get on Sundays?

Bumpsis

I'm trying to decide on a day trip tomorrow between Sunapee and Cannon. Have some friends skiing Sunapee tomorrow so form social aspect it would be nice , but I'm under the impression that it will be more crowded than Cannon.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Depends on what you want to ski. Both will be busy because of the snow. But Sunapee will be much more crowded.

Puck it

Cannon is no where as busy as Sunapee. I will be at Cannon for the freshies tomorrow.

skizilla

Pretty good

I eneded up skiing saturday at Sunapee. Got to the parking lot 8:00 which was a really good idead becasuse I barely made it in the first lot. The skiing conditions were great packed powder, all trails open except the top of ridge glades. Very busy but never had more than a 5 minute wait. Easly morning and late afternoon till was almost ski on. I was very impressed with how they handled the crowds considering they only have one full mountain lift. Skied there before but this was the first time it was fully open. Very cool mountain lots of persionality trails of all types. Could probably use a few more expert trails that are not glades but other than that it was good. Love the spacing of the trees in their glades.

I have noticed that in NH versus vermont in the glade trails are the trees are more spaced out. I am sure this is on purpose. Why does vermont in general have so much tighter glades. Is it environmental regs or geography or plant type? Glades at Sunday river were relatively spaced out as well how are other states.

jack97

I eneded up skiing saturday at Sunapee. Got to the parking lot 8:00 which was a really good idead becasuse I barely made it in the first lot. The skiing conditions were great packed powder, all trails open except the top of ridge glades. Very busy but never had more than a 5 minute wait. Easly morning and late afternoon till was almost ski on. I was very impressed with how they handled the crowds considering they only have one full mountain lift. Skied there before but this was the first time it was fully open. Very cool mountain lots of persionality trails of all types. Could probably use a few more expert trails that are not glades but other than that it was good. Love the spacing of the trees in their glades.

I have noticed that in NH versus vermont in the glade trails are the trees are more spaced out. I am sure this is on purpose. Why does vermont in general have so much tighter glades. Is it environmental regs or geography or plant type? Glades at Sunday river were relatively spaced out as well how are other states.

Dunno about the geography or eco systems but I figure vermont and nh should be the same in general. One thing to keep in mind, Sunapee does a great job of clearing the glades. I rarely see large stumps in those glades or bushes that will snare the skis. Last season, they actually sent a groomer down Hawles because the entry got so bumped up..... kind caused a traffic jam.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In the case of the Whites and Presidentials, they have significantly more softwoods than you find in Vermont. That requires a lot more work to open a glade up as they grow more densely than hardwoods.

Puck it

In the case of the Whites and Presidentials, they have significantly more softwoods than you find in Vermont. That requires a lot more work to open a glade up as they grow more densely than hardwoods.

Like the summit glades at Cannon.