• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

No Blue or Camelback TR's since 1/27? How are things in the Poconos?

4aprice

Was at Camelback again today. Guess its kind of good news bad news. This warm up has not totally acted as advertised. The good is that there has been very little melt on the mountain. The bad is that there was no softening today what so ever. The bumps on Rocket and Lower Cleo were closed and for good reason. The shine coming off of them was blinding. Gonna be there tomorrow sometime and definately Friday. Should be softer then.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

〽❄❅

Given the thaw and lack of natural snow i'd say Blue wasn't half bad today, 41º at 3:30pm. The lower section going to the quad was slush, actually i didn't care for conditions on that side of the mt., at these temps, i think it looked to be getting too much sun exposure? The trails of the peak by the upper lodge/double chair were better top to bottom. Conditions there were "spring like nice" early on and didn't deteriorate too much thru the afternoon. Bumps on that side were soft but on the small side, not even close to what i encountered at Elk two weeks ago.
Have to say this was my first time there and from what i consider a good turnout today, i'm not looking to find out what weekends are like:\

jaywbigred

〽❄❅;600527 said:
Given the thaw and lack of natural snow i'd say Blue wasn't half bad today, 41º at 3:30pm. The lower section going to the quad was slush, actually i didn't care for conditions on that side of the mt., at these temps, i think it looked to be getting too much sun exposure? The trails of the peak by the upper lodge/double chair were better top to bottom. Conditions there were "spring like nice" early on and didn't deteriorate too much thru the afternoon. Bumps on that side were soft but on the small side, not even close to what i encountered at Elk two weeks ago.
Have to say this was my first time there and from what i consider a good turnout today, i'm not looking to find out what weekends are like:\

Well, based on this thread and reports that the bumps were good Monday, I decided to shoot out to Blue for a quick session yesterday. Wound up being a waste of time. Got there around 4:45 (took me 1:30, my slowest time so far). Headed straight to Main Street and found skating rink troughs inbetween very firm moguls. Headed to Challenger and it was even worse. Headed to Nightmare, which was a touch better but a much shorter field. Headed back to Nightmare and found that one of the middle lines was much better. It was a little bit funky line, I think most people had skied the lines on either side, which pushed a touch more snow into it. Lapped that a bunch of times. Went back over to Main St. and found that the middle line there was passable as well (everything is relative). Quit around 7 once I felt i had earned my dinner.

Overall, I would have been better off staying home and getting a good workout in and saving my time and money, probably.

Also, it was not nearly as crowded as my other Blue trip this year, but there was still a good crowd. My opinion of the RFID remains the same; without proper usage and oversight, it does more harm than good. It was a total Lord of the Flies situation last night with all the teens (esp. on the chair side of the scanner), and the operator had to stop the 6 pack often bc too many (more than 6) people were trying to shuffle out for chairs.

4aprice

Well, based on this thread and reports that the bumps were good Monday, I decided to shoot out to Blue for a quick session yesterday. Wound up being a waste of time. Got there around 4:45 (took me 1:30, my slowest time so far). Headed straight to Main Street and found skating rink troughs inbetween very firm moguls. Headed to Challenger and it was even worse. Headed to Nightmare, which was a touch better but a much shorter field. Headed back to Nightmare and found that one of the middle lines was much better. It was a little bit funky line, I think most people had skied the lines on either side, which pushed a touch more snow into it. Lapped that a bunch of times. Went back over to Main St. and found that the middle line there was passable as well (everything is relative). Quit around 7 once I felt i had earned my dinner.

Overall, I would have been better off staying home and getting a good workout in and saving my time and money, probably.

Also, it was not nearly as crowded as my other Blue trip this year, but there was still a good crowd. My opinion of the RFID remains the same; without proper usage and oversight, it does more harm than good. It was a total Lord of the Flies situation last night with all the teens (esp. on the chair side of the scanner), and the operator had to stop the 6 pack often bc too many (more than 6) people were trying to shuffle out for chairs.

I'm guessing tomorrow is going to be the day to be up there. Sounds as if Blue was softer then CBK yesterday. The only softness I saw was on the bottom flats and the south facing unloading ramps on the chair. Not seeing the advertised warmth today (yet) either but heading up for a pm session anyways.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

〽❄❅

...Overall, I would have been better off staying home and getting a good workout in and saving my time and money, probably.

...It was a total Lord of the Flies situation last night with all the teens (esp. on the chair side of the scanner), and the operator had to stop the 6 pack often bc too many (more than 6) people were trying to shuffle out for chairs.
I stopped at 3:30 right around when the kid scene was picking up, missed the lift line chaos. Ventured to the quad side around 2:45, teens were bombing challenge on boards as if they were on a supper slide and i didn't want to have to be bothered dodging them. Also skipped razors edge as ski patrol was busy preparing some unlucky person for the sled. Bailed from them onto nightmare. Thought i missed a turn somewhere and was on a blue square, i couldn't see why it's a double black.
For me the best and really the only enjoyable snow conditions of the day were on widow maker, chute and midway. The upper part of Main st was ok, i'm glad you found the better mogul line and yeah the rest wasn't so great. I didn't ski any of the others to comment.
I only went to use previously purchased discount tix intended for the morning of our last snowstorm. Snowplows didn't hit my street till 1pm and between the 16" dump and wind blown mounds my car lacked the clearance to get out so i did x-c skiing locally.
Was thinking yesterday may be the last half decent day of the season for the Blue tix.
I could see going back early morning midweek shortly after a good snowfall or during a moderate snow shower if roads are manageable, other then that i'll stick with Elk if skiing the keystone state.

jaywbigred

thats just wrong... it always like pizza and sex for me, always good even when its bad :spread:

I've said that before too, but yesterday proved wrong. I was frustrated at having driven that far. Among the iciest ski days of my life. I am pretty surprised those bumps weren't roped off.

4aprice

Just returned from Camelback. Today was A+. The temperature popped about 11am. Bumps on Rocket skied the best they have all season. Took about 15 runs on that sucker. Slush explosions tomorrow. Can't wait.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ