• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mar 5/6

psyflyer

Im hoping for a favorable turnout of this storm, but today it started snowing around 830am on Burke and by noon it had dumped another 4-6 inches. The conditions on the mountain are prime and the extra snow we recieved today was awesome. The snow was a little heavy but it was cold enough that it kept nice and fast. Wind picked up after 1pm and the chair lift operator told me it was blowing up to 50mph, seemed a little less to me, but it was a fun swinging on the chairlift nonetheless. There were maybe two dozen people on the upper mountain today, fresh tracks all day.

:snow:

SKIQUATTRO

Again, please stop telling people about Burke.. :)

believe i just saw a model with 65 knot winds on Saturday (approx 70 mph)

SKIQUATTRO

lower left box is wind....hoping i'm reading it wrong

Last edited:

WinnChill

Do you happen to know what way the winds will be hitting?

Southerly base winds...a bit more southwesterly for high summits.

FYI--chart winds are in knots.

Scotty--precip will be more widespread further west into NY so the Catskills would see a better chance of that moving in on Saturday.

skierbum

And when are the winds expected to hit? I've heard late Saturday (like 4).

Would this be correct? Or will the winds be consistent over the day?

WinnChill

So maybe okay to ski the catskills or Gore in the upstate ny on saturday?

It would be a very close call--western NY would see the best threat of scattered/numerous showers...probably more isolated for Gore but would think you'd see more widespread showers for the afternoon.

WinnChill

And when are the winds expected to hit? I've heard late Saturday (like 4).

Would this be correct? Or will the winds be consistent over the day?

You can't really pin down a specific time for winds...it looks like a rather consistent flow through most of the day but if there is a stronger period, it would be the afternoon as it looks right now.

WinnChill

Thanks Winn,so maybe I just ski Monday at Hunter and make a trip to north VT another weekend

It's looking kinda rough Scotty. I was going to try for some slope time Sunday morning on the way back from playing a show in N VT Sat night but will likely bag it.

UVSHTSTRM

So weather guru's, is the forcast changing for the NE for the 6/7 of March? I noticed accuweather has slid this storm out over the atlantic seaboard, rather than the St Lawerence? They have pretty much all of Vt, NH and Me in a all snow scenerio. I know I know, accuwether isn't the best, but hey I am looking for any glimmer of hope.

WinnChill

most of saturday going to be salvagable??

It actually may not be too bad--precip should be mainly light, isolated stuff most of the day with the steadier stuff hanging west...and S VT (Bromley) would be a bit better than northern (relatively speaking). I'll post a little later to see if you could squeak by on Sat.

SKIQUATTRO

Thanks Winn, much appreciated....Albany is showing mostly cloudy on Sat and that being west of bromley i would have to assume we'd be ok....i'm no weather expert but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

WinnChill

So weather guru's, is the forcast changing for the NE for the 6/7 of March? I noticed accuweather has slid this storm out over the atlantic seaboard, rather than the St Lawerence? They have pretty much all of Vt, NH and Me in a all snow scenerio. I know I know, accuwether isn't the best, but hey I am looking for any glimmer of hope.

We're trying to resolve whether it will be two separate systems sliding through or merging into one over a couple of days. Looking more like it setting up to our southwest on Saturday, then slowly developing as one system Sunday and sliding through slowly Sunday thru Monday--a very complicated setup. Any slow moving system like this can evolve into a totally different beast. We have adjusted N VT resorts for more snow to start and end with (some mixing in between). Perhaps Jay/Burke/Bolton/Smuggs/Stowe can hang on longer to the snow with more accumulations on either end of this storm. We'll see and keep you posted.

WinnChill

Thanks Winn, much appreciated....Albany is showing mostly cloudy on Sat and that being west of bromley i would have to assume we'd be ok....i'm no weather expert but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

:p Ha, nice! If this thing can hang back and develop more on Saturday, it would buy us a little more time. If that's the case, I could see us in the warm sector (warmer, southerly flow) a bit longer, especially with the slow nature of this setup--maybe even some sunny breaks (mostly cloudy like Albany suggested) and showers arriving late PM/overnight.

drjeff

that'd be a fine forecast for saturday...keep us posted and thanks again!

FWIW, my local TV meterologist that I watch in the Hartford area (and who usually has a decent handle on his forcasts) this morning was saying the exact thing that Winn just mentioned. Where it seems as if the storm entrance may be slowing, thus Saturday could end up be mainly cloudy and dry, with increasing winds, and then the 1st have of Sunday may also turn out dry. The greatest chance of precip is starting to look like it will be late Sunday into Monday. If that scenario does pan out, this could be a decent weekend, precip free for the vast majority of the weekend skiing hours and comfortable temps, and the biggest worry might end up being if the winds will effect the lifts??

We'll see, since as always were dealing with trying to figure out something that is 72 or so hours out and 3000+ miles away right now, so there's only about 1,000,001 variables involved! :lol: