• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mar 5/6

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
NWS forecast for Mad River valley & Stowe suggests about 8" snow beginning Sunday after the rain and as the temps drop below 32F. That's an under 2000' forecast. Snow begins Sunday 7pm. Yeah, that's forever from now and can/will chain. Pray to Ullr.

SKIQUATTRO

smuggs is usually ok as their chairs are below tree line (designed that way) i've been skiing all of smuggs when neighboring stowe has been closed due to wind

octopus

Hey weather experts

Do u guys think it's going to rain even as far north as the Burke mt area? I'm thinking about heading up tomorrow
Thx

roark

heh, yeah hedged for monday - didn't request time off but made sure the calendar was clear...

gmcunni

here comes the rain

hfd_None_anim.gif

WinnChill

accuweather still not showing the winds during the day on sat

They just show surface winds...we're looking at winds aloft at summit level.

FYI all--Monday's forecast will likely change to an unsettled scenario--just haven't had time to update today....had to skip out to Pats Peak with the oldest son (we have another skier in the family now!). Will try to post more later tonight...busy day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Holy crap! NWS is forecasting 20" sunday into monday @ Stowe& Waitsfield. Don't know if I should wet my pants, go into denial or get very sick on Sunday night! They indicate it will be a very wet snow.

ALY seems to agree with 10+" for So VT.

"
MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. THERE
IS STILL CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE POTENTIAL FOR
SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL."

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Winn I'm glad you got out with your son today,skiing with your childern is awesome,I know monday will be great at smuggs how do you think sunday will be in north VT,i don't mind light rain?

Magog Fishy

Holy crap!

Billski. Great pickup. I just watched Matt Noyes on NECN, and it looks like he is having the cold front enter N. VT late afternoon Sunday. NWS Burlington forecast discussion says models are hinting at QPF of .5" to 1" for Monday -- 20" on that means it isn't going to be wet. No recent Single Chair weather report. Roger Hill's is saying possibly significant amounts across the Northern Greens.

I have only been glancing at the forecasts the past few days, and had pretty much decided I wasn't going to ski this weekend. Might have to move some stuff around on the schedule so that I can try to get up to N. VT for Monday -- MRV and points North are looking like the winners.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I like the guys over at http://www.americanwx.com
Here are some of their quotes:

"This pattern has totally sucked since early February. .... After the sheer epic experience of December/January, the 2nd half of winter has laid an absolute turd. It hasn't even been that mild either, just a succession of rainstorms followed by chilly nights that slowly destroy everyone's snowpack."

"It's pretty clear that we aren't going to build on the pack and I'm sick of the 32.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 rain and pics of Will's mailbox encased in an igloo, followed by 5* nights.
I'll take anything else other than that, at this point."

"Yea, Feb was fine....it just wasn't epic like Jan.

But THIS PATTERN NOW blows, hard. "

"This blows. "

"I think we pull off one more storm somehow. If we don't, then it was a great winter. But 2 straight Marches without 1"?"

"I haven't looked close, but I could see parts of NNE getting another snowbomb. Parts of western and northern ME could get hit hard with some IP/ZR thrown in."

"It's starting to look pretty safe to say that someone west of the low is going to get plastered with a whole lot of snow."

"Don't be surprise monday storm is colder storm than some weather people think for inland sne area. Southern New England area isnt done with big snows yet long way to go . still have march into April ."

"BIG big big big big big big, BIG winter incoming."

and this is out. Other regions not yet.

post-694-0-37835100-1299276626.png

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.

SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ANTICIPATED THIS WEEKEND ACROSS THE NORTH
COUNTRY...WITH HIGH IMPACT POSSIBLE.

Last edited:

Euler

Does that map Billski just posted show a cuttoff from 1" to 10" across SoVT? That's a sharp gradient!? I'm going to be able to go somewhere to ski on Weds, so I'm getting excited by this!