• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mar 5/6

Glenn

A rainy day in SoVT. At least Northern VT will get some good snow out of this. I guess it may drop a few inches of snow down here later tonight. Then in typical New England style...it'll get cold again. :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The gradient is so sharp that perhaps (cross fingers) Magic might make out.

N-EAST_WRF_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_48HR.gif

UVSHTSTRM

So today has been interesting. First I did the CHAD (childrens hospital at dartmouth) ski and ride at dartmouth skiway. It was an absolute monsoon and 48 when we got there. I live in Claremont, NH so heading north to Lyme, NH did nothing to change our fortunes. I took several runs and helped out with chairty type things for my wifes company who is one of the main corperations to participate. Anywho, we headed out at about 3ish, it was still in the mid/upper 40's when we left. I stopped in WRJ to get gas and it was 39 and the winds were howling. WRJ is about the halfway point, got to Claremont it was back up to 48 and the sun was creating some light behind the clouds and zero precip falling. Well now an hour later (got home about 4ish) the temp has dropped to 35....some in about 1.5 hours we have had a 13 degree drop, so perhaps even as far south as Claremont we could get some significant snow. Also to note, I went out to clear some snow and decided to walk through some relatively untouched areas (dog traffic and sun hits this area) and after 1.5 inches to 2 inches (guessing), near 50 degree temps for two days we still had nearly 2 to 2.5 feet of snow on the ground. We typically get less snow then just a few miles to the east gets due to shadowing from the greens, so it's really a quite impressive snowpack.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but just wanted to share my observations.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Alright kiddos, hold onto your cookies. This storm has come out of nowhere and is blowing up. According to NWS/WCAX we are now looking at 2-3 FEET in Vermont and lesser amounts south. Amazing. The season continues! March is BACK! No more snowless Marches! Simply amazing. Still snowing in BTV. No signs of stopping.

psyflyer

Started snowing at about 230pm on Burke at about 1500 ft and earlier at the top. A good 2-3 inches on the ground so far and we have 20-30 inches expected by tomorrow afternoon. If the forecasts are remotely accurate, tomorrow should be epic.

:snow:

TRWstock

Here near the base of Mt. Ellen - what a day of extremes. Waking up this morning to the "monsoon" and seeing almost the entire snowpack on my deck dissolve - to now, dumping snow and about 3-4" so far. Quite a turnaround! Skiing today was actually not bad, and got better by the minute after 2pm at Sugarbush... and with the heavy variety of the snow - its sticking nicely to the wet base below - tomorrow could be epic! Start thinking of excuses of why you can't show up to work.. cough cough. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here near the base of Mt. Ellen - what a day of extremes. Waking up this morning to the "monsoon" and seeing almost the entire snowpack on my deck dissolve - to now, dumping snow and about 3-4" so far. Quite a turnaround! Skiing today was actually not bad, and got better by the minute after 2pm at Sugarbush... and with the heavy variety of the snow - its sticking nicely to the wet base below - tomorrow could be epic! Start thinking of excuses of why you can't show up to work.. cough cough. :)

My sources tell me that Mount Ellen was closed because Midflats was a lake. They have drained it off and are getting things ready to reopen. Not much snow loss from what I have heard and that things will be nearly 100 percent open. Forecasts have been moving up all day, from 8-12, to 8-16, 12-24, and even 24-36 in some places!

ScottySkis

Plus 6 hour drive home tomorrow if traffic is good,I be happy if I ski 2feet of snow and start driving by 230pm

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
- that stuff is gonna be heaveeeeeeee. :blink:

The 1st two inches were heavy and wet, but the temp has dropped to 25 here and the snow is becoming fluffier by the hour.
:puke::puke::puke: I think I caught whatever it was that my daughter had last week and the symptoms get worse the harder it snows :p
If that 32" WCAX has on their map is anywhere close to on target, I may end up puking out a kidney. :snow:

Zand

Tim Kelley says biggest storm for NE VT since the Valentines '07 storm.

See ya at first chair tomorrow.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Tim Kelley says biggest storm for NE VT since the Valentines '07 storm.

See ya at first chair tomorrow.

I'll be there!
I just got up to stoke my stove and ended up getting myself so stoked on the 12-14 inches of snow that is already on my deck that I don't know if I'll be able to get back to sleep. It is still berserking out there too with no end in sight on the radar. Although we are living dargerously close to the mixing line.