• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount is the worst in the EAST !!!!

JBSki

Catamount is by far the worst mountain I have ever been to. ( was their 2/26/11)

I have been skiing for over 20 years in the Northeast (and ran many group trips for a ski tour company I worked for after college) so I have seen the best and worst in the east.

I needed rentals for my young children (5 & 7) which took an hour and their was only one little 5 Ft bench for the entire rental shop to put the kids boots on. The change machine was broken for the pay lockers. The shop is old, small and dirty. The only thing they invested in was an electronic inventory system for the rentals which doesn’t work because my sons boot did not fit in the ski and we had to go all the way back to the shop (another ½ hour) to get it corrected.

My kids are beginners so I took them to the magic carpet. Their was no organization (people cutting the line) and their was no lift attendant at the top all day and the attendant left the bottom of the lift between 2:45 and 4pm. ( which would be great for those who don’t want to buy a lift ticket)

This is a BEGINNER LIFT – with no attendant to put the kids on straight, kids were falling and dragged. Also since their was nobody to space people getting on, this caused a jam at the top of the magic carpet. I would go first in order to help my kids get off at the top, but since they might be a little crooked getting on by themselves, they each fell twice and were dragged until a bystander helped them ( the carpet was never stopped!) After this my kids were upset and we had to leave. ( I told the manager and he asked if my kids have skied before. I said they have, but that should not be an issue since this is a BEGINNER LIFT / TRAIL where people are supposed to learn how to ski.
He offered me comp passes and I said keep them since I won’t be back. I just wanted it to be known so another child does not get hurt.

I wish I had my flip video camera on me. This place is DANGEROUS for teaching your kids how to ski. (My kids skied at Windham last year and did not have any of these problems)

The other lifts are old, slow, uncomfortable (plywood with a strip of vinyl over it) with no leg rests. Also, the parking lot is terrible – the attendants cram the cars in which is an invitation to get digs on them.

STAY AWAY from Catamount – go to Windham, Belleayre, Jiminy Peak, ect where they know how to run a mountain ( and invest their profits to have a clean, updated facility, new equip /lifts and have a proper staff).

gmcunni

skied there last year and liked it but didn't rent or use the beginner lifts. i do agree the place is in need of some investment back into the facilities.

deadheadskier

Staff member
lift situation sounds crappy

as for the rentals. I would not expect to show up Saturday morning of a holiday week and get positive results. You could've avoided all of that frustration by taking care of the rentals the night prior.

emmaurice2

skied there last year and liked it but didn't rent or use the beginner lifts. i do agree the place is in need of some investment back into the facilities.

Went there with friends that had to rent, they had no problems. Their kids got a lesson and skied the beginner area. They said the lesson was okay, not the best, but in no way did they have the same experience with the beginner area that the OP had.

I've been to Catamount about 9 times total. Some improvements to the lodge would be welcomed, however I've never spent a significant time in the lodge. I've only ever ridden the summit triple. It got me up the hill which is usually all I really require from a lift.

Maybe the OP hit it on a bad day?

JBSki

i hate when people come here and pull this shti..

He needs to go back to Windham...

Don't mean to ruin your perfect world but Forums are to inform people - to inform them that catamount is dangerous for teaching kids.

With the good comes the bad in forums. I don't like to be negative but I also don't like kids to get hurt - which is why I wrote this.

The only thing your right about is going back to Windham

wa-loaf

Don't mean to ruin your perfect world but Forums are to inform people - to inform them that catamount is dangerous for teaching kids.

With the good comes the bad in forums. I don't like to be negative but I also don't like kids to get hurt - which is why I wrote this.

No, what DMC is talking about is people with no history on the forum coming in and trashing a place. Build up a little bit of a rep before you post this kind of stuff.

Buy some skis for your kids. It's cheaper than renting a couple times.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Agreed. Reasonable people should be able to have reasonable discussions. I for one appreciate the information. Put it in the pot with all the other opinions, stir it up, add salt to taste and make up your own mind. Nothing worse than a personal attack (and I'm not talking about anyone here); focus on the issues instead.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
i hate when people come here and pull this shti..

He needs to go back to Windham...

In order to be taken serious on a forum you need to have some sort of history. You know kind of like the ebay seller's rating. Coming to a forum like this with no such history, sheds little light on one's opinion of a given subject.

gmcunni

In order to be taken serious on a forum you need to have some sort of history. You know kind of like the ebay seller's rating. Coming to a forum like this with no such history, sheds little light on one's opinion of a given subject.

true BUT - could be a long time lurker who finally decided to register & post due to a significant event. just because it was post #1 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

powhunter

Presidents week is probably the worst time to ski period. Throw in beginners, lessons, and rentals, and your in for a long ass day..

Steveo

dmc

Right... Don't worry - nothings ruined - my world is far from perfect.. Your just come across badly when you show up at a message board and just bitch...

There's ways to do this so you don't come across as a total ranter...
You need to connect to the audience first..
"Hey - Long time lurker - love the site"
then maybe:
"I just wanted to let the board know about a my day at xxxxxxxxx" - or maybe do a trip report...

thing is there's no context - and i know i always bitch about this - but there's been a lot of really positive posts about Catamount...
There's also been some really bad posts about Windham..

i should tell her to come to Hunter but I already know what she's going to say... :)