• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain

skierbum

I am going to be up there mid-week next week. I am a advanced skier, and have heard that Wildcat is the place to go for Terrain Challenge. I haven't really heard any trails there mentioned as signature runs (like OL at Kton or White Heat at SR).

So anyone who skis there or has skied there, what are the toughest runs there?

Thanks

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't necesarilly consider Wildcat to be that challenging of a mountain. Hairball is probably their most difficult on map trail. The perceived challenge there is often due to the conditions more than the actual terrain.

They do have some pretty challenging off map woods, though you'll have to find someone in the know to show you around. Top of Thompson Brook has some challenge to it, but that's all I'm going to divulge in a public forum.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I am going to be up there mid-week next week. I am a advanced skier, and have heard that Wildcat is the place to go for Terrain Challenge. I haven't really heard any trails there mentioned as signature runs (like OL at Kton or White Heat at SR).

Thanks

I can only speak to the trails on map, but any of the runs underneath the Quad (Lift Lion, Top Cat, Starr Line) are gnarly. Groomed, I'd say Upper Wildcat is a must do, and I've always liked Upper Lynx as well, even though it's a blue.

EPB

Thanks

Wildcat doesn't have any trails with the type of prolonged pitch that you would find at either Sunday River or Killington. It does, however, have significantly longer runs that tend to meander down the mountain. Some runs have decent pitch, but nothing that will sell t-shirts to masses of intermediate skiers that scraped all the snow off the trail.

That said, the lift lines offer good challenge. They high speed quad and former gondola lines run side to side and offer 2000 vertical feet of near-uninterrupted bump skiing. The lift line underneath the Tomcat triple and the former Lynx chairlift line are also pretty challenging.

The Lynx trail is certainly a signature run, though not for its challenge. It is a beautify designed run and a must ski IMO. Have fun, and if you want steep groomers like White Heat, head over to Attitash on the same ticket and ski Ptarmagin, Tim's Trauma, Avenger, and others.

snowmonster

Even if it is a green, you shouldn't miss at least one run on Polecat. Great views of Mt. Washington and the trail has a nice pitch and meander to it. If you have a spare day and want some challenge, look no further than across the street. If Tux is too hairy because of avy danger, the Sherb is in good shape for skiing now.

Edd

Even if it is a green, you shouldn't miss at least one run on Polecat. Great views of Mt. Washington and the trail has a nice pitch and meander to it.

Polecat is the best green I can think of anywhere. I always make a point to hit it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Signature runs are pretty easy for Wildcat:

Green: Polecat
Blue: Lynx
Black: Wildcat

All three trails are broken down into Upper, Middle, Lower. Polecat is one of the few greens that is an absolute MUST SKI for everyone regardless of ability. Lynx is a great top to bottom groomer (scraped down on Upper later in the day). Wildcat has your bump fix.

Wildcat has some good liftlines as well. You have two parallel from the summit including the Quad line and the old gondi line right next to it. Six different names (at least?) but two top to bottom trails. Not steep for liftlines. Feline under the Tomcat triple is one of the nicer narrow/steep lines.

You won't find anything steep at Wildcat. A few short pitches. There is some off piste if you are down for that. You can ski every trail on the mountain within a day easily, so no worries about trying to figure out which trails to ski.

skierbum

Thanks guys, does anyone know how Wildcat copes with the wind? Good usually or not so good?
I want to go Saturday, but I'm worrying about the winds.

Angus

check out feline, hairball and ski right into cougar/catenary and the chutes, if the snow is good, that's fantastic. wind is strange, it depends on direction for wind holds but it appears wind will definitely be a consideration on Saturday.

catskir

100 % Open

As of today the Cat is 100% open, lots of new snow this week. Now is the time to hit Hairball, Starline, Feline, Al's Folly. These are natural snow steep and narrow. There are some inbounds glades that are good now too. Windhold on the quad last two saturdays, you never know with the wind.

skierbum

Thanks, do you know typically how fast the winds need to be blowing to put the quad on "wind hold"?

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
I just skied there on Monday when they picked up a bunch of new snow. The Cat was great. Like many have said on here - the Cat has a reputation for some gnar but in reality the mountain isn't that steep but offers some great narrow trails and winding fun blues.

Lynx is a great trail and we did enjoy the green Polecat. Lift Lion, to Black Cat, to Panther to The Chutes was awesome with 4" of fresh falling. No huge moguls but interesting features to ski off, over and enjoy.

We attempted to find the trees off of Wild Kitten and Lower Wildcat but couldn't really find an entry point or if they were even cleared. Catacomb & Moutain Jag were fun glades.

Only bummer was that it was snowing and Mount Washington was completely covered in clouds. The following day was gorgeous but we had to head back to West Dover. The drive through the White Mountains and 302 on a day like Tuesday was breathtaking and I wish I had our sweet Rebel.

Worth the trip from So.VT for sure.

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
One other note the Summit Quad - Dopplemeyer Chair - was a great chair. Winds didn't even seem to sway it and it was a quick ride to the top. We did 4 runs in 30 minutes there.

skierbum

Thanks again.

So the forecast is for 30-35 mph gusts from the SW. Is this good (obviously not good, but in terms of the wind factor)?

catskir

Other than bringing warm air, SW doesn't usually bother lift operations. Hope that the SW flow has a hard time getting up the notch!