• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grounds for Divorce??

vinnyv11

So the future wife just told me she is “torn” about going up to Bolton Valley for a couple of days because she doesn’t know if she could ski for multiple days, if she’ll be sober enough to drive and if we should spend the money so close to the wedding.

Question for the group is do I have grounds to call this thing off lol? Let me get this straight I can’t go to Vermont to go skiing (btw I have a sick rate of $59PP per night) for four days but its ok to spend my life savings on a wedding/engagement.

Just venting but I’m sure others have similar conversations with their significant others.

Last edited:

vinnyv11

Were both new to skiing this year and she isn't in as good of conditioning as I which is why she doesn't know if she can "handle" skiing multiple days...

ctenidae

Their signifcant others...

Never gets old, does it?

I'd say a massive desire to blow a lot of cash on a wedding would be the deal killer first.
Never understood the whole big wedding thing.

SkiFanE

Run. Fast. Now. :razz:

I was lucky to marry a lifelong skier like myself, just happened. I can't imagine marrying a non-skier or intermediate/non-passionate one. If you have kids...do you want them to be skiers? Would you fight over getting a slopeside condo vs. one at the beach? Hmmmm.... luckily my love has never been tested over skiing, lol.

SkiFanE

Were both new to skiing this year and she isn't in as good of conditioning as I which is why she doesn't know if she can "handle" skiing multiple days...

Tell her she needs as many days on hill as possible to get conditioned. Give her a good massage to help the aches.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So the future wife just told me she is “torn” about going up to Bolton Valley for a couple of days because she doesn’t know if she could ski for multiple days, if she’ll be sober enough to drive and if we should spend the money so close to the wedding.

Question for the group is do I have grounds to call this thing off lol? Let me get this straight I can’t go to Vermont to go skiing (btw I have a sick rate of $59PP per night) for four days but its ok to spend my life savings on a wedding/engagement.

Just venting but I’m sure others have similar conversations with there significant others.

From someone that just got married let me tell you that weddings ALWAYS cost more than you plan and require sacrifice on both parts. I don't know what your financial situation is, but that may be a valid point on her end. And, for better or worse, get ready for more compromises in the future with regards to skiing vs. other costs. If your spouse is a skier, no worries, but if not, hold on. Money issues are so hard to figure out in your first year or so together.

So if money is indeed tight, maybe offer a compromise: cancel the ski trip and save for a BIGGER and BETTER one in your first year of married life. Or ask your boys to throw you a bachelor party at Bolton on that weekend ;) Some of us had a bachelor party at Tuckerman's! ;)

Last edited:

vinnyv11

Neither did I...and I'm so glad that my spouse agreed with me...

Now all I hope is that we can be just as cheap when the kids get married. :roll:

Don't worry you can always take the route our parents did and not pay for anything (college education, wedding, first home, etc.)

ctenidae

Don't worry you can always take the route our parents did and not pay for anything (college education, wedding, first home, etc.)

I think you may be my brother...

My Dad's early plan for a wedding present was a ladder, so we could just elope. He's a funny guy.

drjeff

Get her up there for the weekend. Tell her that you'll get her drunk enough IN THE HOTEL ROOM Saturday night that she won't want to ski Sunday. You ski Sunday while she recovers, then you do the driving on the way home! Problem solved! ;) :lol:

John W

Vinny, I AM IN THE SAME BOAT. Getting Married on the 25th of march and couldn't go out west to Aleyeska with my friends this week for the same isht. BUT I have gotten out 15 times this season so I can't complain too much. THat said I am also trying to convert my love to skiing but it's not an easy thing... Best of luck with the wedding and getting away skiing...

SKIQUATTRO

i skiied with the now mrs. quattro for 10 years before i popped the ring......had to make sure she was a skiier at heart....these things cant be rushed....

hammer

I think you may be my brother...

My Dad's early plan for a wedding present was a ladder, so we could just elope. He's a funny guy.
In my parents' case, they gave us a fixed amount...and since we were poor college grads we couldn't afford much more on our own.

I just don't get the comments from all of the suppliers, etc. that you "must have this" for your wedding. I'm not trying to diminish the importance of the ceremony but please...:roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
In my parents' case, they gave us a fixed amount...and since we were poor college grads we couldn't afford much more on our own.

I just don't get the comments from all of the suppliers, etc. that you "must have this" for your wedding. I'm not trying to diminish the importance of the ceremony but please...:roll:

And sorry to be the wet blanket in all this :lol: but even though our parents were very generous I would say that with the honeymoon the Mrs. and I easily spent a considerable amount of money on our wedding. Hence my warning ;)

Cannonball

There is hope....

When I got married my wife had never skied. A year and half later we moved to CO and both worked on mtn at Copper. For our 10 year anniversary she booked us a heli trip in Alaska. Two years ago she started working a side job as a snowboard instructor.

The only down side is we haven't taken a warm weather vacation in almost 20 years because she always insists that vacations are for snowboarding.