• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mount snow to install a bubble 6 pack next year!

oakapple

Just look at their 1st 2 stats on their snow report. "% open" and "acres" That tells plenty, since as we all know an acre is an acre is an acre (one football field basically) and an acre in the poconos is the same as an acre in the catskills as the same as an acre in the green mountains.
They think they're so clever! That information is meaningless. An acre isn't an acre. Most people are looking for particular types of terrain. I want to look at specifically which parts of the resort are open, to decide whether a visit would be worthwhile. "% open" is completely useless: percent of what? I don't know about you, but when I'm looking at a hill, I don't immediately translate it into a certain number of acres. A few particularly wide, monotonous trails can skew the number significantly. I mean, do you look at a mountain, and say, "Aha! That looks like about 22 acres to me"?

It's not as if Mount Snow invented acreage. The "scorecard" right at the top of Killington's conditions page gives the number of trails, lifts, acres, and miles. I don't look at any of that. I go to the detail, to see of the specific trail-by-trail list, to see if the terrain I'm looking for is open. Click thru to their trails list, and see how much more readable it is than Mount Snow's.

In any event, Mount Snow's measuring system would be a useful point of comparison only if every other resort measured itself the same way. Otherwise, how would you know if their acreage number is good or bad?

Just read their latest "GM's Blog" on their main web page right now where this topic of truth in reporting is addressed
Despite their sanctimonious pronouncements, I have not found them much more truthful than anyone else. They need to disabuse themselves of the notion that they are the only truth-tellers in an industry full of liars.

Method9455

Mount Snow's report of open terrain is one of the most poorly designed I've seen (link).

Most places use some kind of graphical symbol, like a green check mark, to indicate what is open. Mount Snow uses the words "OPEN" and "CLOSED". It is much easier to scan a long list and look for a graphic than to read the words, line by line.

Most large mountains put their trail list into groups by trail pod or mountain face. Mount Snow's is just one big long alphabetical list, with no further subdivisions, which makes it more difficult to get a sense of the place if you don't know all the names by heart.

I realize that many people just show up and ski where they see snow. But for those of us trying to decide when a long trip up to Vermont will be worth the effort and expense, it is not very user-friendly.

This and your other post on the matter are absolutely spot on. I appreciate the honesty in snow reporting, but that giant table listing all the trails is an absolute disaster. It should at least be sortable by Face, Trail Name, Open/Closed, Snowmaking or Not, Trail Difficulty, etc. They have all the information there they just need a little web programming to get it done. Even a green check vs a red x like you mentioned would be preferable to the OPEN or CLOSED text.

However, they do have a great way to visualize what is open and not open. Just go to the interactive trail map and click on the green 'open trails' button and it shows up very nicely.

http://mountsnow.com/interactive-trail-map/

Telemechanic

Why is it just that one chair swinging like that and the other one in the frame is barely moving?

While this might not be the case with the video posted above, lift towers can cause wind eddys that will make only a single chair swing violently (egg-beaters). I found an example and the videographer was actually in another chair shooting the egg-beater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcFa2lB1lc&feature=related

catskills

GaSp - what the hell. Those grey sweat pants are freaky. I can't believe Mount Snow sold that guy a lift ticket. Have they no respect for the other customers. Someone has to report this to administration. :rolleyes: