• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Newly tuned skis are killing me!

tjf67

Why would anyone ever buy a onesie? Jeans and Carhartt are good enough.

Also, I just tie all my gear together with a rope. Duffel bags are for posers.

Fat people r posers as well

Highway Star

Try a stone and dull the tip and tails. Dull them about 6 inches in front of binding to tip. And 3 inches behind binding to tail. If you need to dull more then use a mill bastard file.

This is wrong. You need to take a belt sander to the edges at a 45 degree angle, along the entire length. If you don't have a belt sander, a rotorary grinder will do.

Seriously though, 90% of the people on here know squat about tuning.

Last edited:

Puck it

This is wrong. You need to take a belt sander to the edges at a 45 degree angle, along the entire length. If you don't have a belt sander, a rotorary grinder will do.

Seriously though, 90% of the people on here know squat about tuning.

Why do people seem it necessary to tell people that they do not know what they are doing. Tuning skis is personal preferences. I like my everyday ski like I stated and carvers razor sharp 1 degrees base 3 degree side

Scruffy

Why do people seem it necessary to tell people that they do not know what they are doing. Tuning skis is personal preferences. I like my everyday ski like I stated and carvers razor sharp 1 degrees base 3 degree side

There is not that many personal choices:

Base bevel .5 - 1 degree, any more and your Pucked, side bevel 1-3 degrees off 90, Sharp tip to tail, bases flat.

The only choice is whether to tune or say Puck it, I'm too lazy.

"Why do people seem it necessary to tell people that they do not know what they are doing?"
It's the way of humans. In a forum such as this people want to share information, if your doing it wrong someone will let you know, you may learn something, someone else reading may learn something. This is code for telling someone they're doing it wrong makes us feel superior. :) Seriously, what would be the purpose of a ski forum if not to pontificate on the correct ski, boot, tune, etc..

Puck it

There is not that many personal choices:

Base bevel .5 - 1 degree, any more and your Pucked, side bevel 1-3 degrees off 90, Sharp tip to tail, bases flat.

The only choice is whether to tune or say Puck it, I'm too lazy.

"Why do people seem it necessary to tell people that they do not know what they are doing?"
It's the way of humans. In a forum such as this people want to share information, if your doing it wrong someone will let you know, you may learn something, someone else reading may learn something. This is code for telling someone they're doing it wrong makes us feel superior. :) Seriously, what would be the purpose of a ski forum if not to pontificate on the correct ski, boot, tune, etc..

Okay, this place is now full of self pontificating asses. Oh, it always was. I forgot.

mondeo

I use a base bevel of 1.5 degree, side of 0.5. Detuned for half a foot from the contact points. The standard is 2 degree base, 0 degree side.

Puck it

I use a base bevel of 1.5 degree, side of 0.5. Detuned for half a foot from the contact points. The standard is 2 degree base, 0 degree side.

You obviously do not know what you are doing. You suck. Got do five hail marys for your blasphemy.

RISkier

standard for what?

Don't think there are any hard and fast standards. Racers would generally use less base bevel and more side bevel than everyday drivers. And folks might use more base bevel and less side bevel if they're generally skiing in softer snow. Less base bevel makes skis hold better but also makes them grabbier and more prone to catching edges. 1 degree base and 2-3 degrees side bevel would be pretty typical for everyday skis. But I don't think there are any hard and fast standards.

SkiDork

the mogul skiers still detune, because their skis are much straighter than most others.

I guess this is a moot point with tip and tail rise

campgottagopee

I dare say that most of us couldn't tell the diff between .5 to 1.5 degrees of anything....just sayin'