• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 vacation planning

gmcunni

it's raining and i'm bored today so i started fantasizing about next year's vacation. After a few trips out west i think we'll stay on the East Coast next year.

Criteria -
non-skiing things to do for wife & daughter
favorable/predictable weather in late Feb
good tourist stuff for evenings
6/7 hour drive from Southern New England
preferably more than 1 mountain to ski for variety

I'm strongly considering Lake Placid purely for the touristy/non-skiing activities. I think it would be fun for the whole family to check out the Olympic stuff.

Anyone have other suggestions worth checking into?

Last edited:

Puck it

North Conway is good bet. BTW. I am thinking about another west trip this year even. I may finagle a trip to Grenoble for some alps this month.

gmcunni

North Conway is good bet. BTW. I am thinking about another west trip this year even. I may finagle a trip to Grenoble for some alps this month.

if i knew when i booked my CO vacation how things would have gone down* i would have most definitely gotten the ABasin season pass and done a 2nd trip later in the season.

* our airline changed some stuff on us and we ended up with 4 free flights!

speden

Tremblant has some pretty good skiing if you want to drive to Canada.

But if you're bored with going west maybe it's time to go east and hit some European resorts. They had a bad snow year this year, but maybe next year they'll get the snow.

gmcunni

Tremblant has some pretty good skiing if you want to drive to Canada.

But if you're bored with going west maybe it's time to go east and hit some European resorts. They had a bad snow year this year, but maybe next year they'll get the snow.

not a boredom issue (i'd move to CO if it were up to me).. just looking at the non-skiing expenses + losing time for altitude sickness makes me think we'll look for exciting east coast alternatives.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
i was thinking about something in Canada. My daughter (12) has it in her head she wants to go there but I think it is only so she can get a passport

FYI: I would choose Tremblant especially for the non sking activities but I just returned from BC and Canada is Veeery pricey. Don't want to look at my credit card. No help on the exchange rate.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
LP. Definitely LP. You can ski all day and still only be a few miles away from the land-lubbers and good eats/drinks. Plus, there is simply such a myriad of things to do in town that they are bound to find something other than shopping that appeals to them. All the olympic sites, museums Eric and Beth Heiden, The American miracle on ice. Maybe if they are lucky, they can watch some jumping, bobsled or speed skating practice with USOC athletes. Plus, they can be your ski chauffeur, giving you rock star, drive up service to the lifts! Go get 'em!

mondeo

not a boredom issue (i'd move to CO if it were up to me).. just looking at the non-skiing expenses + losing time for altitude sickness makes me think we'll look for exciting east coast alternatives.
Whistler doesn't have altitude sickness issues... (just non-skiing expenses.)

LP and Tremblant were the two that popped into my head.

gmcunni

bump for pre-season planning.

Eastern Canada is our destination - long weekend around Pres day. Drive up Thursday afternoon, drive home following Wednesday.

now to pick the right place????

kcyanks1

FYI: I would choose Tremblant especially for the non sking activities but I just returned from BC and Canada is Veeery pricey. Don't want to look at my credit card. No help on the exchange rate.

You said Tremblant for the non-skiing. Can't dispute there. But for the skiing, if you are an expert skiing interested in challenging, natural terrain, Tremblant will be a disappointment.

jlboyell

this is kind of a question for anyone... if one of you went to whiteface and the slides were closed, understandably youd be disappointed. is there enough there to keep busy for a few days (4-5) skiing/riding? im not so worried about after the lift stops. there is a lotta vertical, but ive never been there. problem is i have to convince other people to go there with me, for gas and other financial reasons, and dont want to disappoint them. please base your answers on the skiing/terrain

kcyanks1

I've never been to Tremblant, is it really not that hot for technical skiing? I had always heard good things.

I was there twice for week-long trips in college at the end of winter break in January. My school's ski team (and lots of others) did training trips there. I didn't race (although once of the trips I did the training anyways), but they opened the trip to anyone who liked skiing. It was early season - lots of places might not have the snow depth at that point of the year - but Tremblant's low snowfall is documented. I think they average only 150"/year, going from memory. Terrain-wise, their supposed very steep trail (Dynamite) was not open when I was there, but I was not overly impressed with what was open. Steeper than Okemo, yeah. But lots of boulevard, groomed, snowmaking-type trails. I admit I did not have anyone to show my the glades, to the extent they were skiable. From reading around message boards over the years, though, I really have not seen anyone talk up Tremblant for terrain. The base village, on the other hand, is quite cool. If apres is a strong consideration, then Tremblant has that advantage. Being in another country (and in a province that speaks another language) also makes the trip feel more adventurous. And if you are not in need of challenging/natural terrain, the skiing is probably fine. (Though the place gets crowded and cold.) But from a pure skiing perspective, at least based on my interests and what I know are the interests of many posters here, I would never recommend it - and really, would recommend against it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
bump for pre-season planning.

Eastern Canada is our destination - long weekend around Pres day. Drive up Thursday afternoon, drive home following Wednesday.

now to pick the right place????

I don't have any experience in skiing Eastern Canada, but have visited in the off season. If I were to do it coming from CT, I'd probably drive up to just over the border and stay in Magog on Thursday night and ski Friday at one of the local areas there, Bromont, Sutton etc.

Then head to QC for a few nights to do St. Anne, Massif etc. Head back to Magog Tuesday night and catch another one of the Magog areas.

It would help break up the drive. QC is a solid 3-3.5 hours beyond the VT border.

I absolutely love the city of Quebec. My wife actually expressed an interest in a winter trip up there next season, so maybe I'll get to ski some of those areas as well.

gmcunni

I don't have any experience in skiing Eastern Canada, but have visited in the off season. If I were to do it coming from CT, I'd probably drive up to just over the border and stay in Magog on Thursday night and ski Friday at one of the local areas there, Bromont, Sutton etc.

Then head to QC for a few nights to do St. Anne, Massif etc. Head back to Magog Tuesday night and catch another one of the Magog areas.

It would help break up the drive. QC is a solid 3-3.5 hours beyond the VT border.

I absolutely love the city of Quebec. My wife actually expressed an interest in a winter trip up there next season, so maybe I'll get to ski some of those areas as well.

thanks DHS. i tend to think about going to 1 place and staying there but the break up you suggest makes some sense, especially after my wife figured out the drive times.

Warp Daddy

Skied Eastern Canada for yrs here's the Must do List memorize it

1. Tremblant -- closest ambiance to Skiing Europe in North America, but bring everything you own to wear that handles the COLD

2. Massif -- just trust me

3. Mt St Anne's 2 words (World Cup)

4. Eastern Townships _ small but differant , laid back , nice vibe - for you woodies they got the sous bois thing werked out :D