• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking: Convince Me

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You guys are from Central CT right?

NW CT. Berlin is about an hour away.

Still researching. I'm not completely convinced on the merits of a LBS considering I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I got my MTB and they put me on one that's too small (sounds like a boot fitting story...). But I've also not had to return to the LBS during the 5 years I've had my bike for anything either--B does my maintenance just fine.

Just want to get the most I can for my money, if I'm going to spend it.

Maybe I should just get the iPad instead... ;)

mondeo

NW CT. Berlin is about an hour away.

Still researching. I'm not completely convinced on the merits of a LBS considering I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I got my MTB and they put me on one that's too small (sounds like a boot fitting story...). But I've also not had to return to the LBS during the 5 years I've had my bike for anything either--B does my maintenance just fine.

Just want to get the most I can for my money, if I'm going to spend it.

Maybe I should just get the iPad instead... ;)
It's a lot easier to get good test rides on road bikes than mountain bikes. They should have a loop set out, giving you a fairly good feel for the bike. MTB, well, that's just a ride around a parking lot trying to find pot holes and curbs.

And if they put you on too small of a MTB - maybe it was the specific LBS?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's a lot easier to get good test rides on road bikes than mountain bikes. They should have a loop set out, giving you a fairly good feel for the bike. MTB, well, that's just a ride around a parking lot trying to find pot holes and curbs.

And if they put you on too small of a MTB - maybe it was the specific LBS?

Just like the beginner demoing skis, how the heck will I know what works and what doesn't? As long as I'm not in pain? How would I know that in the length of a test ride? My feet & nether regions go numb on longer road rides with my MTB, which I'm assuming could be a fit problem, but maybe it's just a me problem--so how would I know that wouldn't happen too on a longer ride with the new road bike?

Ultimately, you're all saying I should try to get the best bike I can for my money. Not exactly an easy task on Craigslist since I have no clue about the bikes--a lot of research would be required, and a lot of time spent that I don't exactly have with 2 kids, being in school full-time, and the other life requirements I have. The LBS, another option, is unlikely to have as good of a deal as I could get online, and therefore lower end components, etc. But is that entirely bad? My MTB was a new leftover purchased for $350. No upgrades to it other than I changed the saddle out last summer because of the numbing issue (yay me, I changed it myself!) and the addition clipless pedals. So if that's the case, who's to say some cheap road bike wouldn't just do the trick for me as well? Although should I even be touting that deal since, even though I've ridden that bike on and off for 5 years, it's not exactly the right fit. Regardless, I definitely cannot throw more money at this project.

No matter what, I have hills. It's part of living where I live--they even have a charity ride every year named after it: The Tour of the Litchfield Hills. So yeah, I don't want to get into something I can't get up a hill. But then again, if I can't get up, isn't that encouragement to increase fitness so I can--and therefore more of a workout than something that effortlessly does the job?

In other words, you have successfully muddled me up by overthinking the situation. I think I need a beer...

andyaxa

Well, we've done an excellent job of convincing! :)

I am going to offer one line of action...the Bikes Direct route...and no, I am not a schill, but it worked for us.

-I'm not sure a bike fit is something that is 100% necessary here (others might disagree, but for the sake of this one option, let's assume you can do fine going by the standard sizing charts and then saddle adjustments, height and lateral, and possibly stem adjustments with provided spacers)
-Do you have a friend or anyone who can help you assemble front wheel, brakes stem, etc? It's pretty straight forward but does require a little mechanical ability and if you have been around bikes will be much easier.
-Looking at the BD road bike page....start at the top with the Sora/Acera options and work your way down.The main difference is the components, fork and wheels. Even at the Sora/Tiagra level you will get reliable, smooth shifting components. As you go up in quality, those points are just fine tuned. If you can swing all Sora or Sora/Tiagra, I'd start there, but if nothing is in your budget, drop down a notch.
-Pick out a few options that look interesting. People here can look at the specs of each and tell you what advantages/disadvantages are.

I think the only extras you'll need to get on the road are pedals. I think you said you ride clipless on your MTB? If so, get some MTB pedals. I ride the road with MTB shoes. You might lose a wee bit in power transfer as they aren't as stiff, but they are comfier for me.

The saddles are nothing special, but I'd give them a try before you replace. I thought I needed to change mine but gave it about 100 miles and was fine after that.

Just my .02 and one possible course of action

tjf67

I'd been toying with the idea of picking up a road bike... It's not always easy to get childcare so I can drive to the trail and get into the woods. But I did get up early quite a few times last summer and ride the roads from my house--on the mountain bike. Thinking that since it's more likely I'll be able to get rides in that way, maybe I should have the right tool for the job.

I don't know though... Do I want to spend the money? I kind of had my heart set on the iPad 2 instead. ;)

My budget is very low... no more than $600, which won't get me much of a bike but it would be more suited to road riding than my Specialized Hardtail...

Convince me!

Go to the bike shope a few times. Look for people your size looking at new high end bikes. Ask them if they have an old bike they want to sell. I did it and picked up a 1500 dollar bike for 500 bucks.

You get to wear those tight shorts which on women are hot. men not so much.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Picked up a 2010 Giant Avail 3 at Suburban Sports tonight. Thanks, everyone! :)

ETA: Make that a 2009 Giant Avail 3 that was a leftover...

Last edited:

mlctvt

Picked up a 2010 Giant Avail 3 at Suburban Sports tonight. Thanks, everyone! :)

Great choice, I didn't know that Giant made a women's specific frame. This bike should serve you well and with the triple you'll be all set to tackle those Litchfield hills! Congratulations.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nice, I almost stopped in there tonight, but remembered my credit card cycle hasn't reset it self for the month yet:razz:
You just got skis...what's next? A road bike for you, too? ;)

Great choice, I didn't know that Giant made a women's specific frame. This bike should serve you well and with the triple you'll be all set to tackle those Litchfield hills! Congratulations.
I guess it's the same as the Defy 3, just the women's version. I think it's going to work a lot better geometry-wise since I seemed to be kinda wonky as far as the fit charts for the mens/unisex bikes on BD.Just need pedals now... I hate those toe clip pedals. I think we have a spare pair of clipless around here somewhere.

5513418953_2a2f45a934.jpg

More (a little more artsy) at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrievibert/sets/72157626234546108/

MR. evil

Congrats Sev, nice ride!

This has been an interesting thread as I am also thinking about getting a road or CX bike. Would like to get some early morning rides in before work, and road seems easier than MTb for that even though I have an out the door MTB option. Been looking at BD and think I am going to go that route, those prices / specs are just too hard to beat. Also going to check out my LBS and look for some used options

o3jeff

Seeing mtb season is still some time away since the trails are soaked, I was thinking about one, also makes it easier to just get a quick ride in since I can ride from my door. And since you can wear spandex in public It's a no brainer.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It'll definitely be nice to get some miles in even when the trails are soaked (or in my case, just plain in since I can't always find the time to get in the woods, but 40 minutes or so in the morning are possible).

Spandex? Yeah...keep telling yourself that. ;)

Jisch

Nice! Keep us updated on how you like it and I will do the same with my wife's road bike. If I can't keep up to her on my converted MTB, I may go the BD route shortly... First "team Isch" ride this weekend.

john1200c

I have been riding a Giant OCR 3 for the last 3 or 4 years and I am happy with it. Had to switch pedals to clipless but that's the only change I have had to make. Can't wait to get back riding..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
BD seems like a great option if your measurements fall in line--which is more likely to happen for you guys. There were slim pickins for womens bikes on there and from what I was looking at given the Wrench Science calculator, I was looking at bikes that ultimately, I would not have been able to even stand over them.

If nothing else, I get my 1 year of free adjustments and the security of having tried out the bike first by going to Suburban Sports for it. It wasn't a lengthy test, but at least I could get a feel for it.

Jisch

Sounds exactly like my wife's situation - from my perspective the difference in price is money well spent.