• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking: Convince Me

MR. evil

ah, just found out its a medium, I can't believe he went for that small of a bike. Nevermind...

Well it's a free ride / mini DH rig. Those types of bikes ussually don't come in XL sizes as most people like to use a much smaller frame than for normal trail riding. Most people I know with FR/DH bikes ride a size or two down from their normal scoot.

Jisch

Well it's a free ride / mini DH rig. Those types of bikes ussually don't come in XL sizes as most people like to use a much smaller frame than for normal trail riding. Most people I know with FR/DH bikes ride a size or two down from their normal scoot.

Agreed, but at 6' 3", I expected he'd be on a Large.

mondeo

Hmm, 7" of travel on a XC bike. That's almost exactly what I'm looking for, a XC-freeride crossover. Only thing I'd be worried about would be the strength of the frame if I end up taking it DHing a lot.

But it would mean no Whistler this summer. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

Jisch

Let me know if you want Johns contact info, the bike is in Tolland.

We did a 22 mile road ride yesterday, my wife loved her road bike, its the first time she rode that long and didn't complain of soreness, seems to be a good deal.

bvibert

Staff member
We did a 22 mile road ride yesterday, my wife loved her road bike, its the first time she rode that long and didn't complain of soreness, seems to be a good deal.

Worth it's weight in gold right there!

Jisch

Double vs Triple

My wife and I had a discussion before she went to the LBS about double vs triple cranksets - she had done a lot of research on her own as well. The bike she got has a double. We live in a very hilly area - any ride around here is going to involve climbing for sure. I question whether she should have a triple, she was struggling at times. Of course it is early in the year and she's only going to get stronger from here. That said her easiest gear is pretty low, I'm sure she'll be fine eventually.

Jisch

I'm resisting the urge to buy a road bike. For now I can keep up to my wife when she's on her road bike, but damn the efficiency on a road bike is crazy. I have a feeling she'll be kicking my butt on the road in a few weeks. She needs to get comfortable on those skinny tires, obviously a lot different than even "narrow" slicks on a MTB.

Jisch

I think it would be best for my wallet's sake if I unsubscribed from this thread at this point :-D

(you know I won't do that).

bvibert

Staff member
My wife and I had a discussion before she went to the LBS about double vs triple cranksets - she had done a lot of research on her own as well. The bike she got has a double. We live in a very hilly area - any ride around here is going to involve climbing for sure. I question whether she should have a triple, she was struggling at times. Of course it is early in the year and she's only going to get stronger from here. That said her easiest gear is pretty low, I'm sure she'll be fine eventually.

My wife got a triple on her bike. Seemed to make sense to me...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Same here, Maybe we can get Suburban to give is a volume discount :)

Referral bonus for sparking the discussion and encouraging further purchases...? ;)

Not thrilled about the clocks changing and it now being darker in the morning. I NEED to get out for a ride, damnit! And yes, the skinny tires freak me out a bit. How the hell can those support my weight? Guess we'll find out...

MR. evil

I'm probably going to head over tonight, not sure if Skidmarks is back yet but at least can try some out.

Let me know what they have and how you make out. Not sure I will be able to bring myself to buy a road bike from a shop. Those deals / specs on the offering from BikesDirect are just too good. If this was going to be my primary bike it would be different.

Jisch

My wife's concern is not about support as much as traction around corners. She got some speed by the end of the ride on Saturday.

o3jeff

Let me know what they have and how you make out. Not sure I will be able to bring myself to buy a road bike from a shop. Those deals / specs on the offering from BikesDirect are just too good. If this was going to be my primary bike it would be different.

Maybe we can split a tandem bike and save some money that way.

bvibert

Staff member
I have a triple, and wish I had a compact. I'm never in the granny gear. I could, however, use some more teeth on the big ring ;)

Total road bike newb here... but aren't the big rings on a triple typically bigger than those of a compact double?