• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking: Convince Me

Greg

Staff member
Cool. Now go get it all muddy. Oh wait... :razz:

bvibert

Staff member
Congrats Sev, nice ride!

This has been an interesting thread as I am also thinking about getting a road or CX bike. Would like to get some early morning rides in before work, and road seems easier than MTb for that even though I have an out the door MTB option. Been looking at BD and think I am going to go that route, those prices / specs are just too hard to beat. Also going to check out my LBS and look for some used options

Seeing mtb season is still some time away since the trails are soaked, I was thinking about one, also makes it easier to just get a quick ride in since I can ride from my door. And since you can wear spandex in public It's a no brainer.

I've been thinking about getting a road bike the last couple of years myself. Handling her new rig isn't helping to quench that desire. I NEED to get a functioning MTB first though...

Jisch

me too!

I've been thinking about getting a road bike the last couple of years myself. Handling her new rig isn't helping to quench that desire. I NEED to get a functioning MTB first though...

If you page back in this thread, you see me advocating for a MTB with slicks, now that I see my wife's bike, its making me want a road bike!

look for a MTB spring sale from me - I gotta get rid of some of these old bikes!

bvibert

Staff member
If you page back in this thread, you see me advocating for a MTB with slicks, now that I see my wife's bike, its making me want a road bike!

Yeah, I knew handling a road bike would make me want one even more. It's a good thing I resisted the urge to take one for a spin while I was at the shop last night.. ;)

look for a MTB spring sale from me - I gotta get rid of some of these old bikes!

Got anything good??

Philpug

Congrats..I was talked into getting a roadbike too. I can't wait to get on in come spring.

Jisch

probably too small

Got anything good??

First I ride my bikes, so these are not museum pieces, well maintained, but used for sure.

Titus RX100 (100mm travel front and back) its a custom size, but "large" is closest. Its a super nice bike - I paid $3,200 for it, but its a 2004 and I'd sell for $750, it needs a drivetrain. Hope hubs, avid bb brakes, Marz AM fork, Fox RP23 shock.

Specialized Enduro SL - 2009, its a Large (runs on the small side). Amazing 6"x6" machine, I'm actually not sure I want to sell this yet, I need more time on the Niner RIP to ensure it's a replacement. It has Specialized air fork and shock, while the reviews on their proprietary stuff have been mixed, this bike has been flawless. All new bearings. Hayes Hydro brakes. Hand built Hope wheel in back, specialized in front (to match fork). Price TBD.

Cannondale Jekyll - 2004(?), its a Medium - 5x5 machine with a Manitou Black coil fork (heavy and light springs included) in front and Fox air can in back. Rim brakes, cheapish wheels. Price: $400

Last is my wife's 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper, its a 5x5 women's specific design, but its red, not all pinky - a guy could ride this without being made fun of :-D. Its a Medium, Fox Float on front and Fox Triad on the back. Shimano wheels, avid BB brakes. Much like the Enduro, not 100% for sale yet, Price TBD.

Jisch

Today is cold and raw outside, I went downstairs for lunch and my wife had just come back from a bike ride. Man that thing is motivating her to ride! I asked her how she liked it and she said she feels like she's riding slow on a fast bike. I'm sure that will change as she gets used to those skinny tires.

bvibert

Staff member
First I ride my bikes, so these are not museum pieces, well maintained, but used for sure.

Titus RX100 (100mm travel front and back) its a custom size, but "large" is closest. Its a super nice bike - I paid $3,200 for it, but its a 2004 and I'd sell for $750, it needs a drivetrain. Hope hubs, avid bb brakes, Marz AM fork, Fox RP23 shock.

Specialized Enduro SL - 2009, its a Large (runs on the small side). Amazing 6"x6" machine, I'm actually not sure I want to sell this yet, I need more time on the Niner RIP to ensure it's a replacement. It has Specialized air fork and shock, while the reviews on their proprietary stuff have been mixed, this bike has been flawless. All new bearings. Hayes Hydro brakes. Hand built Hope wheel in back, specialized in front (to match fork). Price TBD.

Cannondale Jekyll - 2004(?), its a Medium - 5x5 machine with a Manitou Black coil fork (heavy and light springs included) in front and Fox air can in back. Rim brakes, cheapish wheels. Price: $400

Last is my wife's 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper, its a 5x5 women's specific design, but its red, not all pinky - a guy could ride this without being made fun of :-D. Its a Medium, Fox Float on front and Fox Triad on the back. Shimano wheels, avid BB brakes. Much like the Enduro, not 100% for sale yet, Price TBD.

Thanks, but you're right, it all sounds too small to me. I'm more in the XL plus range.

MR. evil

Thanks, but you're right, it all sounds too small to me. I'm more in the XL plus range.

B
You looking for a frame to transfer your parts over too, or a complete bike? What's your budget?

Isn't your Spesh HT frame being covered under warranty?

bvibert

Staff member
B
You looking for a frame to transfer your parts over too, or a complete bike? What's your budget?

Isn't your Spesh HT frame being covered under warranty?

Don't know what I'm looking for.

Yes, the HT should be covered by warranty. That doesn't mean I don't want something else too or instead.

Don't know what the budget is, it's getting less and less by the day though, and may be non-existent. So, it may not really mater.

MR. evil

Don't know what I'm looking for.

Yes, the HT should be covered by warranty. That doesn't mean I don't want something else too or instead.

Don't know what the budget is, it's getting less and less by the day though, and may be non-existent. So, it may not really mater.

You could always pick up a steel AM HT frame like an OnOne 456 or a Blue Pig. Last season I rode my AM HT for most trail rides, the FS only came out when I knew there would be some Xstuntry involved.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wow!! See what I missed while I was wasting my time in Colorado!!
Yeah, I wanted to wait until you got back but we can't always get over there before you close. At least, not all 4 of us. Something tells me you were doing more than wasting time. ;)

Now if only this rain would go away...

Jisch

A buddy of mine has a Yeti ASR that he's looking to part with. He's 6' 3". I'm getting details on the bike, but would you be interested in a bike like that? Its 7" of travel and 40lbs or so - it would be a lot of bike for XC stuff.

bvibert

Staff member
A buddy of mine has a Yeti ASR that he's looking to part with. He's 6' 3". I'm getting details on the bike, but would you be interested in a bike like that? Its 7" of travel and 40lbs or so - it would be a lot of bike for XC stuff.

Sounds like a beast. I like burly stuff. I'm interested to hear more about it at least.

Thanks.

Jisch

ah, just found out its a medium, I can't believe he went for that small of a bike. Nevermind...