• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

dmc

They have enough to produce 30% of their power need. They were slated to be 100% nuke by 2050. The one directly north of these two wa actually closer to epicenter. I have not as to it's status. Most likely it was scrammed and is safely shutdown.

NHK keeps saying Fukushima #1 but on the map there's 2
Fukushima Daiichi 1
Fukushima Daini 1

Puck it

NHK keeps saying Fukushima #1 but on the map there's 2
Fukushima Daiichi 1
Fukushima Daini 1

These are the six reactors that are having the problems. There are three at each site and all have cooling water problems. The other site has been shutdown and cooling water is on but intermittent from thevreports that I have read. Obviously not as well read as you say.

dmc

Japanese Prime Minster live on NHK now...
He's telling people to move 20 miles away from one of them and 6 miles from another..
And stay indoors...

Injecting water to cool the reactors..
hopes to avoid further radiation leakage..

Asking nation to act calmly..

Puck it

Japanese Prime Minster live on NHK now...
He's telling people to move 20 miles away from one of them and 6 miles from another..
And stay indoors...

Injecting water to cool the reactors..
hopes to avoid further radiation leakage..

Asking nation to act calmly..

Where have you been under a rock! They started using sea water on Saturday to cool #1 reactor. If that is not bad enough, they are using fire pumper trucks to get the water to the cores. This means that cooling infrastructure for all reactors is gone. I read that radiation readings in tokoyo are rising. It will be intreating if this is confirmed.

Puck it

Container breached, radiation leaking.

Will need to see some video first. There would be a constant plume if vessel is breached especially with the low temps currently. Chernobyl had a constant plume when it went.

dmc

Where have you been under a rock! They started using sea water on Saturday to cool #1 reactor. If that is not bad enough, they are using fire pumper trucks to get the water to the cores. This means that cooling infrastructure for all reactors is gone. I read that radiation readings in tokoyo are rising. It will be intreating if this is confirmed.

relax there Einstein..

I was just repeating what the Prime Minister was saying live on the tube...

The guy on now is saying if your within 20km get out - if your within that and 30km stay inside..

wa-loaf

Will need to see some video first. There would be a constant plume if vessel is breached especially with the low temps currently. Chernobyl had a constant plume when it went.

They're saying the latest explosion breached the containment structure. I don't know any more than that.

Euler

Latest explosion has caused so much damage that all emergency workers have been removed from the site, and without any people onsite to manage the crisis it will likely get bad fast :(

tjf67

I thought they could not pump the water because there back up power systems were down? The sea water was the last resort cause when they use that basically the reactors are shot.

Puck it

I thought they could not pump the water because there back up power systems were down? The sea water was the last resort cause when they use that basically the reactors are shot.

Yes, last resort after the battery back up died. Batteries were the third back up, which only last an hour.
The tsumani took out the diesel storage tanks based on the reports that I have not the genrators. They had no diesel to start them.

Puck it

I just saw this. There are 10 reactors on that site. I thought there was only 6.

Individual units at the plant site: Fukushima DaiichiFukushima Daiichi 1 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 2 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 3 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 4 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 5 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 6 BWR Japan Operable
Individual units at the plant site: Fukushima DainiFukushima Daini 1 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daini 2 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daini 3 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daini 4 BWR Japan Operable

tjf67

Is there anything they can do to stop it over there or are they going to jsut keep heating up till they all blow? They have nowhere to ship the power they are producing as I understand it and they will just keep winding them selves up hotter and hotter till they explode. Am i correct?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yes, last resort after the battery back up died. Batteries were the third back up, which only last an hour.
The tsumani took out the diesel storage tanks based on the reports that I have not the genrators. They had no diesel to start them.

OK, I'll ask the dumbest question of the day. Could they not transport diesel fuel in somehow? I understand there is carnage all around, but somehow the hundreds of other operations staff were evacuated. <naive exposed>

Puck it

Is there anything they can do to stop it over there or are they going to jsut keep heating up till they all blow? They have nowhere to ship the power they are producing as I understand it and they will just keep winding them selves up hotter and hotter till they explode. Am i correct?

The problem is that if the nuclear material has melted. There is no way to get material in to control the fission reaction. The boron rods aka control rods are spaced in between the fuel rods. These rods control the emitted particles off of the fuel that create the fission. If it is just a pool of molten fuel then there is no way to control it with fission limiting material. Cooling is the only way to keep things from going critical. The reaction will not explode but will self sustain and keep going until it melts through the vessel. This is bad needless to say. The "explosion" occurs when the material melts thorugh the vessel and concrete and then comes into contact with ground water. This is what will release the radiation to the atmosphere and get transported with the wind. The radiation from the reactor core is bad but very limited in area. The good thing is there appears to be no constant plume of steam emitting from the reactors which would mean a breach.

Does this help?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I just saw this. There are 10 reactors on that site. I thought there was only 6.

Individual units at the plant site: Fukushima DaiichiFukushima Daiichi 1 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 2 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 3 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 4 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 5 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daiichi 6 BWR Japan Operable
Individual units at the plant site: Fukushima DainiFukushima Daini 1 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daini 2 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daini 3 BWR Japan OperableFukushima Daini 4 BWR Japan Operable

Fukushima Daini and Fukushima Daiichi are two separate plants about 7.5 miles apart.

According to its Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant )Fukushima Daiichi has 6 active reactors with two more planned to be built. This facility is the one with the worst problems at the moment.

Fukushima Daini has 4 active reactors and has experience similar issues with cooling but there has yet to be any explosions reported there.