• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are your outdoor sports?

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
This site seems to cater towards skiers the most but obviously it is full of all varieties of mountain and outdoor athletes. I'm curious if the users of AZ are all around outdoor athletes. What outdoor sports do you participate in?

I : hike/backpack, snowshoe, XC ski, Downhill ski, Mt bike, road bike, kayak

I probably skied seriously before the others but I would say my main outdoor sport is hiking and backpacking. I have hiked most areas of the northeast including an AT thru hike and have been many areas in the west. I used to race MTB occasionally but only casually ride now. I used to road ride a lot until I moved to Maine and am two dirt roads away from a paved road. I XC ski more than I downhill but still love to hit the slopes, price is my primary barrier to more days downhill. Depending on the water situation, I get in a dozen or so days kayaking flat and moving water.

o3jeff

Skiing, mountain biking, hiking and maybe some road biking this year. I can also jog, but tend not to do that as much as the knees are taking a beating as I get older.

ERJ-145CA

I'm a one trick pony - just skiing. Once my season's over I just wait for winter. With the wife and two kids it's for the best though because I have to make up for all the time I was skiing during the winter by doing family activities and such during the off season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Winter:

*Alpine Skiing
*Nordic Skiing
*Snowhoeing
*Some AT Skiing now

Warm weather months:

*Hiking
*Kayaking

2knees

not much anymore. i coach tiny kids soccer now but that is more for the comedy then anything excercise related. play golf a few times. softball is not in the picture anymore. dont think i got on the mtb once last year.

gmcunni

skiing in winter, softball in the summer

started getting into tennis last summer, hope to continue it. Fell off the wagon on MTB and really hope i can get off my ass and log some miles this spring/summer/fall.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Winter: Downhill Skiing

Summer: Tennis, Swimming, a bit of Trail Running

Vast majority of my exercise occurs at the gym. I'm there for at least an hour 4-6 days a week doing resistance and cardio training.

4aprice

Winter: Skiing, Ice skating(pond hockey when available) xc skiing (been a long time but I liked it).

Summer: Boating/water skiing, some golf, hiking. Thinking about starting mountain biking. Been doing some road biking over the years.

All year: Tennis and jogging (along with a resistance training program).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bigbog

Year-Round: yahdwork...
Spring-Fall: hiking/sight-seeing/photographing/paddling remote areas of Maine woodlands
Winter: skiing: downhill/AT(on/off resort), want to add XC and a little snowshoeing

Last edited:

Rushski

Winter: Skiing, Volleyball (indoor)

Rest of year: Volleyball (in and outdoor), Fishing (mostly trying to figure out flycasting), occasional trail run, rarer and rarer kayaking... Maybe get back into tennis a little.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Skiing, beer drinking, sailing, bourbon drinking.

And beer and bourbon drinking.

I like the way you think! :beer:

Depending upon my knee and back cooperating (as well as time and childcare):

*downhill skiing
*hiking
*running
*mountain biking
*road biking (now with a road bike!)

I am looking forward to the road biking. And I desperately want to get back into running, but I think I need to do a bit biking first as PT for my knee.

TheBEast

Winter - Skiing (of the freeheal variety exclusively now)

Spring/Summer/Fall - Triathlons - mostly sprint races, but did an olympic distance last year for the first time, so will probably continue with that. Going to try and do 4-5 races this summer So tri training involves some raod bike time, running and some swimming. I've also got a shinny new cannondale mountain bike that's only seen 1 ride (2 small kids at home). Also run in the occasional 5k and would like to do a 10k this summer.

I do enjoy just about every other kind of outdoor activity including hiking, backpacking, golf, softball, climbing (rock and ice), snow shoeing, etc. Mostly comes down to the family schedule as to what I'm actually able to get out and do.

jrmagic

In the winter its only skiing. I am thinking about getting an AT setup for net season to round me out a little better. During the rest of the year I split my time between the golf course and the boat and throw in some tennis and hiking here and there.