• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Are Americans Dominating the Tour De France?

awf170

andyzee said:
I say that next year we get Alpine Zone to sponser a team in the Tour. We head up, kick some ass and this will all be a mute point :)

Hmmm, I'll go for the hill climbing jersey. Who wants to go for the yellow and the green. I never actually road a road-bike before, but I'm in good shape and can hike mountains fast on my feet, so why not on a bike? I think I'll start riding tomorrow so that will leave me with plenty of time for training. I highly doubt that anyone else has higher qualifications.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
awf170 said:
Hmmm, I'll go for the hill climbing jersey. Who wants to go for the yellow and the green. I never actually road a road-bike before, but I'm in good shape and can hike mountains fast on my feet, so why not on a bike? I think I'll start riding tomorrow so that will leave me with plenty of time for training. I highly doubt that anyone else has higher qualifications.

I'm not too good on the hills and don't look good in Green, so guess I'll go for the yellow :)

awf170

andyzee said:
I'm not too good on the hills and don't look good in Green, so guess I'll go for the yellow :)
But to get yellow you have to be good in the hills... you'll be one those smucks that do all the pulling for the group that no one ever heard of. sound good?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
awf170 said:
But to get yellow you have to be good in the hills... you'll be one those smucks that do all the pulling for the group that no one ever heard of. sound good?

I'll make up for it on the flats and time trials, I'm good there.

freeheelwilly

awf170 said:

I LOVE those guys. When Matthias Kessler took a stage this year (after being caught out 50 yards from the line the day before) I was on cloud nine. Then he did that grizzly endo over the guard rail but still finished the stage AND the Tour. Long live the tough, selfless domestiques. Jens Voight is another one. Those guys rock!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
freeheelwilly said:
I LOVE those guys. When Matthias Kessler took a stage this year (after being caught out 50 yards from the line the day before) I was on cloud nine. Then he did that grizzly endo over the guard rail but still finished the stage AND the Tour. Long live the tough, selfless domestiques. Jens Voight is another one. Those guys rock!

Damn to say you're into the Tour is an understatement! :) :beer: Me., I'm just into the Tour de Jesey as documented here :) http://forums.alpinezone.com/8932-bike-log.html

ctenidae

I'm willing to go for the Downhill Jersey. After tackling the hills in Queens over two Centuries, I don't like pedaling uphill much.

ctenidae

Kids, be nice. Don't make me pull this car over and come back there. Don't think I won't turn this car around and go back home, and then you'll never get to see Disneyland.

(Edit: I'm not crazy, really. JimG baleeted the referrenced posts. Keep up the good work, ModMen!)

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Bvibert has less of a stomach for the name calling than me. I was going to leave those posts and let everyone see what an unmoderated forum might look like.

I know a few of you don't appreciate us moderators or what we have to do sometimes, but I sure as hell don't want to waste my time reading that crap. If you guys want to act like 2 year olds and call each other out, fine, but don't expect us to sit back and watch.

bruno

JimG. said:
Bvibert has less of a stomach for the name calling than me. I was going to leave those posts and let everyone see what an unmoderated forum might look like.

I know a few of you don't appreciate us moderators or what we have to do sometimes, but I sure as hell don't want to waste my time reading that crap. If you guys want to act like 2 year olds and call each other out, fine, but don't expect us to sit back and watch.

sorry man!:dunce:

awf170

ctenidae said:
I'm willing to go for the Downhill Jersey. After tackling the hills in Queens over two Centuries, I don't like pedaling uphill much.

Errr.... You'll be one of reserves. If Andy gets hit by a bus or something touring new jersey then you will be in.

highpeaksdrifter

bruno said:
right on brah! i think ol' freeheel needs to ride his bike a little more. dude runs his mouf prolly more'n he rides his bike.

and i'd say this to yer face freeheel, you come off like a douche. you're prolly a good guy in real life but on da intraweb, you're a serious tool. jus' sayin'. . . .:-D

He's a real good guy. FHW doesn't need me to defend him, but I'm going to anyway. He is just the type who likes to stir the pot a little and see where things go, this tactic often leads to a spirited debate. I personally think it keeps things interesting.

This isn't life and death, it's just people passing time talking about things they have a mutal interest in.

BTW: With a name like Burno you gotta be a good guy too.:beer:

freeheelwilly

Charlie Schuessler said:
I just read on www.cyclingnews.com that Levi Liephiemer has agreed to ride for Discovery Channel Team for the 2007 Race Season....is 2nd time around with Bruyneel the ticket for Levi to Podium at the Tour?

We shall see...

Here's drunkcyclist.com's take:

Levi Leipheimer is to leave Gerolsteiner and ride for Discovery. Because what Discovery really needs right now is a guy who'll lose minutes in the time trail and get dropped on the mountain stages.

Hahahah! Actually I'm a Levi fan. (I think that was a bigger dig at Hincapie than it was at Levi). I thought he'd at least podium this year - especially after Ullrich and Basso were out. Whatever.

Hey Phonak becomes ishares next year - another American team in the Tour! Within a few years TIAA-CREF will be there as well!

Thanks HPD - all is well here (I think).

skibum1321

Landis failed the drug test. He supposedly had high levels of testosterone during his miraculous mountain climb. I guess he couldn't take his failure the day before so he went to desperate measures. This sport is really filled with dopers and I'm not really surprised anymore.

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Kids, be nice. Don't make me pull this car over and come back there. Don't think I won't turn this car around and go back home, and then you'll never get to see Disneyland.

(Edit: I'm not crazy, really. JimG baleeted the referrenced posts. Keep up the good work, ModMen!)

Actually, bvibert deleted them. They did bother me too. But I was going to leave those posts and actually hoped they would get worse to make a point about the value of having some moderation here.

I've already worked through this with FHW and he understands where I'm coming from. Just wanted to mention to bruno that I don't make public posts like that one often and that I appreciate his public apology.

I felt us mods were taking unnecessary hits yesterday in this thread and it really bothered me.

Sorry about the hijack here, carry on!

freeheelwilly

skibum1321 said:
Landis failed the drug test. He supposedly had high levels of testosterone during his miraculous mountain climb. I guess he couldn't take his failure the day before so he went to desperate measures.
Easy. His "A" Sample tested positive.

"A positive "A" sample is only the first step in the process and does not constitute proof of any rider's use of performance-enhancing substances."

Now I'm not sayin' that his "B" won't be dirty too - probably will- but your statement begins with a false assertion from which it immediately descends into groundless assumption and innuendo.

Isn't there anything to be said for keeping your trap closed until all the evidence is in?

This sport is really filled with dopers and I'm not really surprised anymore.

Honestly dude, what you know about "this sport" would fit on the head of a pin.

Apologies to JimG: This Landis thing has me pissed-off though (I don't know at whom or at what - everybody and everything I guess. And nobody. Uuuuuuggghhh!) and then to have read that ignorant shit is just too much!

bruno

skibum1321 said:
Landis failed the drug test. He supposedly had high levels of testosterone during his miraculous mountain climb. I guess he couldn't take his failure the day before so he went to desperate measures. This sport is really filled with dopers and I'm not really surprised anymore.

well-put. even ol' floyd's moms is expressin' a li'l doubt about her boy! sheesh lady!:angry:

but yeah, he did it.:flag: :snow: :lol: :smash: :uzi:

JimG.

Staff member
freeheelwilly said:
Apologies to JimG: This Landis thing has me pissed-off though (I don't know at whom or at what - everybody and everything I guess. And nobody. Uuuuuuggghhh!) and then to have read that ignorant shit is just too much!

Dude, take a deep breath and relax. I don't think skibum was trying to condemn the guy and I think his general statement sums up how alot of people feel about cycling. You have to admit, the fact that riders were suspended before the race even started is not a great comment on the sport. This doesn't help.

According to the rules, Landis isn't guilty unless the back up sample tests positive. His amazing performance in the 17th stage does seem a little too good to be true though. You yourself said it will probably test positive but I'm assuming you think it's because the testing agencies are anti-American and that Landis is clean. I think you're in the vast minority there.

According to the law, Barry Bonds has not been proven guilty of using steroids either. Does anyone believe he didn't (doesn't)?