• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3.19.11 - MogulProShop.com Bump Competition

Greg

Staff member
nope - Tyler is a tall but young lookin guy, wore a dark blue windbreaker. Clean shaven. Crowd booed when they gave the semi to him over Bobby Z

I was filming that run so I didn't get a chance to see what the booing was about, but I think Tyler deserved that decision. 2:26 - 2:50:

[

SkiDork

yeah me too.

I tell you what though, the kid PJ sure can ski bumps. Apparently he's never really had much formal coaching. Beat Tyler in the finals.

Bobby sure skis well too.

mondeo

I was filming that run so I didn't get a chance to see what the booing was about, but I think Tyler deserved that decision. 2:26 - 2:50:
I think the booing was about a close call with money on the line and family and friends in attendance. Emotions running high.

Another thing to keep in mind is one of the reasons the guys at the top are as good as they are is that they're competitive people. They want to be the best, that's what drives them. God knows I've said and done some stuff in the heat of competition that I shouldn't have.

Greg

Staff member
i didn't get to hang out and listen to the beer-induced comments.. what did the elite skiers have to say about the course in general?

the few guys i talked to all seemed ok with the course. the biggest comment, and i wouldnt call it a complaint, was just that the landings on the kickers were not long enough, seemed like most of the better skiers were landing flat over and over.

Yeah, I guess the guys that actually went big could have used more landing. I didn't like the left bottom jump at all. It seemed bigger, poppier and more of a gap than the right bottom jump which I had little trouble with. I was thrilled moguler6 picked the left line.

Overall, I think the layout was great. Nice big bumps for a while at the top, jumps, then a shorter stretch on the flat section. Just enough to straighten yourself out and hit the bottom air. Then a nice sting of bumps on the bottom pitch. I think for what they have to work with on Gunny, that's all the best placement.

MogulQueen

[

The booing wasn't in regards to Tyler's run. He clearly won that duel with super clean mogul skiing. It was mostly that the crowd was part of Bobby's "family". Bobby grew up skiing with all the Killington hacks there. The booing was not to disrespect the incredible job Tyler had just performed. It was a close finish at the end, but Tyler deserved it with his clean form. Hopefully Tyler was not to offended. We all were amazed at his skiing. As for PJ, he is Bobby's good friend. They ski together a lot at Killington. No formal race training, just a great athlete.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I wanted to add that Sat night after the comp, madriverjack, bvibert, and I ran into Amanda and Joe at Portobello's (the winners in the January comp, IIRC). Both had a great enthusiasm for Sundown and had a lot of positive things to say about it--including the fact that Sundown should consider adding more comps next year. They felt that they would be able to consistently draw skiers to the comps. Something to consider...

I loved hearing all the positive feedback from those who traveled to our little home hill. :D Who would have ever thought New Hartford, CT would be such a draw? :beer:

Greg

Staff member
BTW...Nice job announcing...your enthusiasm is contagious.

thanks dude

Agreed. Nice work Jarrod. You always keep the party going. Needed more Sheen quotes though. :lol:

I think the booing was about a close call with money on the line and family and friends in attendance. Emotions running high.

Another thing to keep in mind is one of the reasons the guys at the top are as good as they are is that they're competitive people. They want to be the best, that's what drives them. God knows I've said and done some stuff in the heat of competition that I shouldn't have.

I figured it was a favorite not making it after watching the video. But after it happened, I thought it was a bad call.

Yeah, I guess I'll never get to level like most of those guys in the 32. I'm not overly competitive and ski bumps just for fun. I really wish I had an opportunity as a kid to start skiing. Tough to start as an adult and really progress to that level unless you can ski 60+ days a year.

Mike you look good so whatever you're doing is working for you.

Greg

Staff member
I wanted to add that Sat night after the comp, madriverjack, bvibert, and I ran into Amanda and Joe at Portobello's (the winners in the January comp, IIRC). Both had a great enthusiasm for Sundown and had a lot of positive things to say about it--including the fact that Sundown should consider adding more comps next year. They felt that they would be able to consistently draw skiers to the comps. Something to consider...

I loved hearing all the positive feedback from those who traveled to our little home hill. :D Who would have ever thought New Hartford, CT would be such a draw? :beer:

It is pretty awesome. If we can figure out how to make mogul skiing/comps more lucrative than racing, maybe we can get Gunny all year. :idea:

But as always, Sundown needs a good mix, and I get that. We just need the expansion. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the bumps we do get, and the fact that they have something for everyone without an abundance of terrain to do it.

2knees

Yeah, I guess the guys that actually went big could have used more landing. I didn't like the left bottom jump at all. It seemed bigger, poppier and more of a gap than the right bottom jump which I had little trouble with. I was thrilled moguler6 picked the left line.

Overall, I think the layout was great. Nice big bumps for a while at the top, jumps, then a shorter stretch on the flat section. Just enough to straighten yourself out and hit the bottom air. Then a nice sting of bumps on the bottom pitch. I think for what they have to work with on Gunny, that's all the best placement.

yeah i had some awesome crashes trying to figure out the bottom left in practice. couple of barrel rolls induced by landing on the table top and then, when i did clear it, i was going too fast (for me) and had to jump out of the course. I was debating throwing in the towel my skiing was so incredibly poor. JP came up to me and asked what the hell was wrong with me. but none of that was a product of the course, i thought it was the best of all 3 years. much much faster then last year as the bumps werent on top of each other.

Greg

Staff member
he skied good but come on, "look good"? green jacket with the red + black pants? fashion faux pas! :smash:

I guarantee you will never see that outfit again now. :lol: :razz: ;)

mondeo

he skied good but come on, "look good"? green jacket with the red + black pants? fashion faux pas! :smash:

I guarantee you will never see that outfit again now. :lol: :razz: ;)
It'll probably back for January. I'd forgotten my lightweight jacket in Killington a couple weeks before, my spring competition get-up should be the rainbow plaid with the bump pants:

0063.JPG

bvibert

Staff member
unless they reinstate the commemorative T-Shirt i won't be "competing" next year.

I'm torn about competing too. I really felt I had no business being in the same competition as most of those guys. The fact that I got totally smoked in my duel confirmed it. I've always only competed to support the overall mogul philosophy at Sundown though so I'll likely still do it. I gotta tell you though, I was about to shit myself waiting for my duel. Exciting though.

Anyway, overall, I think these comps are good for Sundown and keeping a bump scene there so I'll continue to support them. This was the best comp we've had and the talent there was just awesome to watch. Cool to have The Hammer back down on his own without any Metaheads influence. Had a nice conversation wit Kirk Sisson. He'll be back next year. Always good to have Alan and Dave and families supporting us.

Anyway, long gone are the days where 2knees was the guy to beat...

You two better enter next year! If you have no business being there then what the hell am I doing there? I'm pretty sure there'll be t-shirts next year, it was an oversight this time around...

Both of you had good solid runs, and Greg, you qualified. Apparently the judges thought you had business being there (or they just wanted to see you get smoked in a duel ;) ). I was nervous as hell, but still had a good time. I just keep shooting for doing a little better each year and I'm happy. My goal was to get down the course and hit both airs somewhat cleanly, and I accomplished that so I'm happy. Last year I wouldn't even go near the lower kicker and barely pulled off the smaller upper kicker...

I'd be happy with a 'hacks' division with no prize other than bragging rights, maybe a bronzed turd with the winners name on it or something. ;)