• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3.19.11 - MogulProShop.com Bump Competition

gmcunni

i didn't get to hang out and listen to the beer-induced comments.. what did the elite skiers have to say about the course in general?

2knees

i didn't get to hang out and listen to the beer-induced comments.. what did the elite skiers have to say about the course in general?

the few guys i talked to all seemed ok with the course. the biggest comment, and i wouldnt call it a complaint, was just that the landings on the kickers were not long enough, seemed like most of the better skiers were landing flat over and over.

SkiDork

Iceman decided to bail on the spins after he fell "in a hole" on one of his landings. He also said the landing pads were a bit too short. I told him he doesn't have to spin to win this, just good skiing will take it. He took my advice.

I had told Alta about this back in October. Figured she deserved it since she's worked hard for many years and had some hard luck along the way, plus she was always very nice to myself and Iceman.

I didn't expect her to bring 3 friends although in hindsight I should have expected that. The 3 she brought though, were all very deserving of a shot at some cash, hard workers and not a hell of a lot of results to show (compared to Zemba and Keating, Sterling etc). Elizabeths dad owns Forerunner ski shop, a class act (IHMO). We are purchasing rockets for Ally off of her broken skis from Saturday from her dad.

Anyhoo, I told Chris Sullivan (as I always do) that I love coming to Sundown and wish it was my home mountain. Vibe is tremendous. I'd be there a few mights a week if I lived closer.

mondeo

regardless, i think you just have to remember where its being held. Its not USSA, Noram, NORAD or whatever. Its sundown. In new hartford ct. yes, there are some benjamins on the line for the better skiers, but for the guys that ski there all year, its awesome to see that kind of talent at sundown. i hope we get the same turnout next year.
I'm with you, there were no rules against it so who cares? Just call it a pro-am next year and even if no pros show up (like this year,) then no one can complain about the level of competition. :-D
I was curious, to I looked them up. Elizabeth and Jeremy both skied 4 NorAms this year. Alta and Tyler both did 1. And despite the rumors flying around that day, turns out Tyler has never skied in a World Cup. Either way, all four are high ranked skiers and damn good. I'm actually surprised it took this long for some of them to show up and that more didn't come.

Thanks again Sundown and Suburban Sports for hosting this. It was tons of fun once again. Can't wait for next year.
Hey, you're the one who told me Tyler had skied WC. I'm blaming the rumor on you.

SkiDork

Tyler comes from mogul skiing royalty (at least around Killington) as both his parents (Jim and Donna) used to compete, and Donna (a legend just a step below the "other Donna" at Killington) has won BMMC a few times (at least once, maybe more).

Greg

Staff member
I'm trying to remember what Jarrod called Gregs first jump on his qualifying run, was something like the running man or something dance!

It was a lame attempt at a daffy which really is not good viewed straight on unless spaffied a bit. Alan and Pat got the slightly spaffed daffy down perfect.

That's the double edged sword with $3K in cash on the line. It generates a lot of interest, but it also makes things serious for the people that have a reasonable shot at winning.

Yep. Totally agree, Catch-22. You can't offer prizes like that without a certain level of seriousness creeping in. But without big prizes, the big guns would probably not shot up.

regardless, i think you just have to remember where its being held. Its not USSA, Noram, NORAD or whatever. Its sundown. In new hartford ct. yes, there are some benjamins on the line for the better skiers, but for the guys that ski there all year, its awesome to see that kind of talent at sundown. i hope we get the same turnout next year.

True, and Sundown just doesn't have any terrain where a true WC course could even be set. Maybe skier's left on Gunny at the top, but then you lose the good visibility and resulting spectator/party aspect, which is important. I think the big jumps and iron man aspect to the comp does set it apart from other courses. Steve was joking this week we should add a third jump, maybe right at the top. :lol:

unless they reinstate the commemorative T-Shirt i won't be "competing" next year.

I'm torn about competing too. I really felt I had no business being in the same competition as most of those guys. The fact that I got totally smoked in my duel confirmed it. I've always only competed to support the overall mogul philosophy at Sundown though so I'll likely still do it. I gotta tell you though, I was about to shit myself waiting for my duel. Exciting though.

Anyway, overall, I think these comps are good for Sundown and keeping a bump scene there so I'll continue to support them. This was the best comp we've had and the talent there was just awesome to watch. Cool to have The Hammer back down on his own without any Metaheads influence. Had a nice conversation wit Kirk Sisson. He'll be back next year. Always good to have Alan and Dave and families supporting us.

Anyway, long gone are the days where 2knees was the guy to beat...

SkiDork

Agreed about Sisson - classy guy. Spoke to a him a lot as he was doing video next to me.

I was chattin wiht the Killington 4, and they said they're much rather come to Ski Sundown than have to slog over to Bristol for the MLK weekend comp they have every year. We were trying to figure out where you could squeeze in a regulation USSA course on Gunny.

SkiDork

I'm torn about competing too. I really felt I had no business being in the same competition as most of those guys. The fact that I got totally smoked in my duel confirmed it. I've always only competed to support the overall mogul philosophy at Sundown though so I'll likely still do it. I gotta tell you though, I was about to shit myself waiting for my duel. Exciting though.

Like I said, your skiing looked stellar on Saturday. Don't sell youself short.

2knees

yes, i thought he looked pretty good too till moguler6 practically lapped him in their duel....:lol:

let the ball busting begin.....

SkiDork

another interesting fact about Tyler is the fact that he lives local, I believe it is Hebron CT. Although during the season he's at KMS, he says his younger brother goes to Sundown on school trips...

Greg

Staff member

Thanks Dork. I could argue that skiing all those bumps all week probably wore me out, but I think it probably helped more than hurt. I was skiing really well on Thursday, and came close to getting a twister spread somewhat decent, at least enough that you might actually know what I was trying to do. :lol: Friday I was shot, and my skiing/airs were awful. I went to try and twist early once, got hung up on the jump and went head first into the mogul that was forming on the landing. That got in my head the rest of the day and into Saturday. But let's face it, my biggest problem is I'm sloooooooow. And it really is a race unless the slower skier clearly has better turns and airs. The "nossack" will never make up for an obvious lack of speed. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
yes, i thought he looked pretty good too till moguler6 practically lapped him in their duel....:lol:

let the ball busting begin.....

I was joking at the top that most of those guys will make me look like I'm skiing up the hill.

SkiDork

But let's face it, my biggest problem is I'm sloooooooow. And it really is a race unless the slower skier clearly has better turns and airs. The "nossack" will never make up for an obvious lack of speed. :lol:

Iceman has the same problem. For him its just a question of waiting for puberty to kick in so he can start to really build muscle...