• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3.19.11 - MogulProShop.com Bump Competition

gmcunni

Just to get things started - I had to leave early, they are probably finishing up the racing or giving out prizes by now

Cloudy morning giving way to sunny skies in the afternoon. Sun popped out about half way though the qualifying round.

The level of talent at the comp today was unbelievable. I thought the course was in great condition, albeit much more difficult to ski than it was when i was there on Thursday. The jumps were in excellent shape, big with nice pop but soft landings.

I took my qualifying run and was done for the day. They only took 32 men to the next round. I know Pat and Greg made it through. I'd guess Mondeo did too, he had a great qualifying run, throwing a 3 on the top jump. I'm sure Bart and Jeanine got through also.

The Hammer (Randy Grasso of Meathead) was back this year after winning 2 years ago but taking last year off. Saw several KMS jackets amongst the competitors.

Last edited:

gmcunni

looking down the course-
P1040959.JPG

looking back up -
P1040956.JPG

Greg

Staff member
I was somehow seeded 27th. Not sure how or why. All the time at the top waiting for my duel, and watching the talent that was there, I couldn't help thinking I had no real business being up there. I faced the 6th seed and eventual 5th place finisher, AZer moguler6, and got my ass handed to me. :lol:

Unbelievable day. Lots to talk about. Great to have my wife and kids there today. More later.

Grassi21

Thank God there were so many Hookers there...... Hooker Brewery that is.

Great vibe at the mountain today. I didn't compete by my son got his first day on skis and even rode the lift in the learning area. Stoked.

Greg

Staff member
I didn't compete by my son got his first day on skis and even rode the lift in the learning area. Stoked.

I got video of his first ever run on Little Joe. Stay tuned.

2knees

i just finished arm wrestling with my pc but i finally got all my footage downloaded. i have a shitload of qualifiers and a few from the bottom.

what a day. skied like absolute ass but who effin cares, its so much fun. i'll have a vid up tonight come hell or highwater.

2knees

btw, who won, i had to bail and pick up my kids at a birthday party.

planb420

Any word on a day of closure while you guys were out there? I had to leave around 2pm and did not really get a chance to ask.....

tjf67

Did any CLITS make it past the first round? Twiggy? What about the poser tha goes to BC in the summer?

2knees

Did any CLITS make it past the first round? Twiggy? What about the poser tha goes to BC in the summer?

not me. i got the last qualifier and had my head to head with the one seed. i've made it much further in the past but today wasnt my day.

btw, put the hate aside man, its old.

Grassi21

not me. i got the last qualifier and had my head to head with the one seed. i've made it much further in the past but today wasnt my day.

btw, put the hate aside man, its old.

What a douche....

Greg

Staff member
Nice.... So wish I could have made it. Who won.. the hammer?

Randy lost his quarterfinal. Kevin Clifford went far, 4th I believe. Not even sure who the top three were.

2knees

16 minutes so watch it at your own risk. i wasnt gonna put music in but all you can hear otherwise is wind ripping through the mic. so suck it if you dont like my choices.....

Greg

Staff member
I got some footage of the Hammer's quarterfinal, the semis and the finals uploading.

2knees

BTW, all competitors owe it up to Greg for being there all 5 days and skiing those lines in. Along with Madroch, Steve-o, Brian and Gary. There was one line on tuesday in the middle and barely anything to the left or right.

Greg

Staff member
BTW, all competitors owe it up to Greg for being there all 5 days and skiing those lines in. Along with Madroch, Steve-o, Brian and Gary. There was one line on tuesday in the middle and barely anything to the left or right.

I don't know how much of an impact my efforts all week made. That run magically transformed from a few good lines yesterday at 3 pm to side to side legit man-eaters by the competition. Must have been the varsity squad that was practicing late yesterday afternoon...

I can tell you that after skiing that run for the last 6 out of 7 days for a total of probably 24 hours of mogul skiing has done a number on my body. My neck and lower back are cooked, and it looks like I'm dragging the girls around the hill tomorrow. Oof! :blink: I'll need a vacation from my vacation!

And my plan is to do it again next year. :spread:

gmcunni

I don't know how much of an impact my efforts all week made. That run magically transformed from a few good lines yesterday at 3 pm to side to side legit man-eaters by the competition. Must have been the varsity squad that was practicing late yesterday afternoon...

i got there @ 11:15 today and skied the right line 3 times. moved to the left for a few before the comp. i did my qualifying run down the right side (and i was one of the last to go) and it was nothing like it had been earlier in the day :-o

very humbling experience to see the level of talent skiing there today.