• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotch Rash Question!!!! You have been warned!!!!

JimG.

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
This may be an easier way to buy it. You may get some weird looks from your mail carrier. :-D

btw...Oprah endorses it; it must be good.

Perfect! We have a PO box and my wife is the one who collects the mail.

SkiDog

madman said:
I had the same problem in the past tried all kinds of solutions none worked. I worked with a Vietnam vet and he told me the cure for jungle rot! Thats what they called it NO UNDERWEAR , loose breathable cloths, Wash & Dri* when ever you can. This has worked for me hiking for over 20 yrs .Let the boys go free

K just from personal experience..this is EXACTLY how I got the chafing...I wasnt wearing underwear...on a 25 mile hike.....let me tell you...WEAR UNDERWEAR...back in Vietnam they did not have the benefit of having advanced materials like wicking fabrics...today we have them..USE THEM......

The "bike shorts" idea is also a good one, however it might get OVERLY hot in there..those things dont breathe all that well as I rememebr...

M

skizilla

Many Thanks

Thanks for all your ideas and keep them coming. I have tried gold bond and it helps but does not last. I have tried a form of bag balm but that absorbs right in relativly quickly as well. Vaseline might be good to try as well as bike shorts which stick right to you. I definately want to check out the BUT PASTE though I read some stuff on it and it looks awesome. Nice to know that a thirty five year old man is essentially suffering from diaper rash!!!!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
SkiDog said:
The "bike shorts" idea is also a good one, however it might get OVERLY hot in there..those things dont breathe all that well as I rememebr...

M

For lack of better words I said bike type shorts. What I meant were tights, like biking shorts, but without the padding. This keeps stuff from rubbing together. Used to use these for running all the time. Not sure if they still make them though since, I don't run anymore.

789325.jpg

Last edited:

thebigo

In college I worked for that national house painting company that hires college kids. Only a few weeks into the season I developed this problem. I tried everything and then I finally figured it had to be heat related. I started packing an ice pack and applying it to the area during lunch and it solved the problem. The first application was tough, but once it started to fix the problem it became easy. Of course I did this away from the rest of the crew.

Currently I walk about 3-5 miles per night to keep the pounds off and i developed the problem again. This time it is related to chaffing (sp?) and I have solved it with bike shorts.

edited due to drunkeness

Last edited:

ga2ski

the butt paste works wonders on my son's diaper rash. Next time I get chub I'll have to try.

BTW - bag balm was orginally made for cows and rashes from milking I believe. Not sure why I know this .. . maybe my dad told me as he grew up on farm.

And actually he is the info of bag balm: http://www.bagbalm.com/ It is made in lyndonville,VT (is that the same town that the Packing House is in) If so I'm sure it is not a coincidence (sp?)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Give any of the baby ointments a try. My son never had any diaper rash and we used Balmex and A&D Ointment exclusively. The Balmex is kind of creamy, and has the feel of zinc oxide (maybe that's what's in it?) whereas the A&D is more greasy like Vaseline.

I'll second the bike shorts suggestion as well. Keeps the tender skin from getting any more so.

ctenidae

0006210333306_215X215.jpg

1 pound jar of Butt Paste, available at Wal-Mart for $16. That'd be a fun one to plunk up on the register.

There's also some chamois creme with a funny name, that I can't remember. Don't want to get too much of that on the boys, though. Think IcyHot, but not quite as painful.

Bag Balm was originally made for cow udders (hence the name), but it really works well. its something like 60% lanolin, 40% grease.

JimG.

Staff member
FRITOLAYGUY said:
Jim now you have to buy it just for the reaction from her.

Hmmmmm...now that's another can of worms.

Tough to buy something called "Butt Paste" without a good story I guess.

Grassi21

JimG. said:
"Anti Monkey Butt Powder"

Even though it sounds like it you just can't make this stuff up.

Does it keep monkey butts away or does it keep monkeys away from your butt?

Either way, I feel safer knowing this stuff exists.

Mike P.

I'll swear by Bag Balm, but I'd have to guess the baby products would work too. Heat & sweating I would think would be an issue for powders. No way I could have done Presi-traverse or a 28+ mile day in Pemi without.

I did have one humid day on Waumbek last year where I jogged a bit & one nipple bled due to rubbing on a wet shirt, I think it was mesh & poly so holes added to problem

That's it, no more sharing than that.... next thing you know we'll be talking about feelings

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
JimG. said:
Are these names for real? Cause if they are I have to go to CVS and pick up a bottle of each just for the comic value.

Jimbo, Bag Balm is named such as it was originally developed and marketed for applying to dairy cow udders when they became dry and cracked from milking. It became an everyday use type thing after a while.

And yes, I know this because I know more than I should about farming without actually being a farmer.

ctenidae

Marc said:
And yes, I know this because I know more than I should about farming without actually being a farmer.

You do have a lot of experience with farm animals, though.
Not all of them need to be pushed through the fence.

MtnMagic

I've had this too often while on summer hikes. Suggest that you go with the talc powder. Always works for me!!