• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - AZ Summit 2.0 Weekend

Greg

Staff member
More Sunday

Chasing DHS and WoodCore in the woods:
P1060088.JPG

P1060092.JPG

P1060095.JPG

Gary:
P1060086.JPG

Brian, Woodcore and Kara (sp?) after the hike up to the top of Spillway:
P1060100.JPG

Greg

Staff member
Last few pics from this morning...

Brian on Ripsaw:
P1060102.JPG

I liked this gnarly tree:
P1060104.JPG

Haul Back, right under the (closed) King Pine chair. Arguably the most consistently good run of the weekend:
P1060105.JPG

Brian slaying a wind-loaded Haul Back:
P1060107.JPG

DHS doing the same:
P1060110.JPG

Greg

Staff member
"Oh My God" Turn

And of course the obligatory shots from OMG turn on Route 27:
P1060112.JPG

I think taking a pic of Brian taking a pic puts this impressive view of the hill in perspective:
P1060114.JPG

I had an awesome weekend. I'll elaborate more tomorrow....

frapcap

That was an awesome trip! It was a pleasure to meet all of you, thanks for putting on such an awesome event!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Awesome pics everyone! I had my camera with me and I think I only took it out twice from the wind. I was really hoping to shoot more, next time.

I did a MyTracks on Saturday morning of all our skiing, here is Saturday from 8:30AM till around 11:30 or so:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...289774420010126777.00049f7dd81cd36e4a0af&z=15

sat_ski.jpg

Total Distance: 27.10 km (16.8 mi)
Total Time: 3:26:55
Moving Time: 1:48:58
Average Speed: 7.86 km/h (4.9 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 14.92 km/h (9.3 mi/h)
Max Speed: 78.20 km/h (48.6 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 502 m (1647 ft)
Max Elevation: 1130 m (3708 ft)
Elevation Gain: 3138 m (10296 ft)
Max Grade: 75 %
Min Grade: -35 %
Recorded: Sat Mar 26 08:43:27 EDT 2011

xwhaler

Thanks everyone for putting on such a good event. Good to meet Nick, Brian, Greg and Ryan on Friday night and again Sat at the Widowmaker.
Next time I'll be sure to get out skiing with you guys.

We had a later start yesterday AM, missing first tracks but getting out for a couple hours from 10-noon before heading home.
Agreed that the T bar saved the wknd....lines at the SQ were a bit rough.

Looking fwd to AZ Summitt 3.0 next year...be at at the Loaf or elsewhere!

-Chris

bvibert

Staff member
Great pictures Greg! I started going through mine last night, but fell asleep before I got too far... Story of my life... :roll:

I had a great time at the Loaf. The wind on Saturday and Sunday was a real bummer, but we made the best of it. It was great skiing with everyone again, and some new people too. I wish I could have skied with more of the AZers that were there, but it's hard to keep a big group all together at a place like that. There were lots of people at the apres party, I'm still wondering if they were all AZers, or if other people had wandered up there. Regardless it was a good turn out. It was nice to meet a bunch of you, even if we didn't get to ski together. Those that I didn't get a chance to meet I hope to get the chance again soon, if not next year back up at the loaf!

reefer

Got a lot going on at work today, probably post some pics and comments later.
Thank you Ethan and Sugarloaf. Thank you Greg and AZ. The reefer crew had a blast! Was a real "adventure". Skied with a few AZers and barely missed Greg and company!
A few "firsts" for me, the best is that this is first time someone told me (women walking her two dogs) to "ski along the road til' you come to a stop sign................"

Greg

Staff member
Skied with a few AZers and barely missed Greg and company!

One of my only regrets was not being able to get it together and meet up with you guys. Tough to pull off given the number of AZers, the windholds, and size of the hill...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Great pictures Greg! I started going through mine last night, but fell asleep before I got too far... Story of my life... :roll:

I had a great time at the Loaf. The wind on Saturday and Sunday was a real bummer, but we made the best of it. It was great skiing with everyone again, and some new people too. I wish I could have skied with more of the AZers that were there, but it's hard to keep a big group all together at a place like that. There were lots of people at the apres party, I'm still wondering if they were all AZers, or if other people had wandered up there. Regardless it was a good turn out. It was nice to meet a bunch of you, even if we didn't get to ski together. Those that I didn't get a chance to meet I hope to get the chance again soon, if not next year back up at the loaf!

I think next year we should T-shirts or stickers or something maybe to help identify each other. Even on the mountain, would be nice to have a way to just know if someone is a member or not, especially for new faces (like me!).

I loved the first tracks, the snow was a little crunchy but that last lift line up when you just get to blow by everyone in line was great.

bvibert

Staff member
I wish the Bracket Basin tour had worked out. I guess one guy met at the bottom of Whiffletree anyway (despite it being on wind hold) and got a private tour of the mountain. My question is; who was it?

bvibert

Staff member
I think next year we should T-shirts or stickers or something maybe to help identify each other. Even on the mountain, would be nice to have a way to just know if someone is a member or not, especially for new faces (like me!).

I loved the first tracks, the snow was a little crunchy but that last lift line up when you just get to blow by everyone in line was great.

AZ stickers would be awesome. We've had some in the past, but nothing really widespread. It would be cool to get something like that going again. T-shirts too, but I don't think they'll be helpful out on the hill unless it's a nice spring day. I have one that I bought a long time ago, but it's getting pretty ratty. I'm not even sure if they're available for purchase anymore??

gmcunni

I wish the Bracket Basin tour had worked out. I guess one guy met at the bottom of Whiffletree anyway (despite it being on wind hold) and got a private tour of the mountain. My question is; who was it?

doh-homer-simpson.jpg

had i not completely by accident bumped into Greg in the Quad line @ 10AM i'd have been at the closed lift @ 11 just to see what was going on!! F Me

bvibert

Staff member
the best is that this is first time someone told me (women walking her two dogs) to "ski along the road til' you come to a stop sign................"

Sounds like there must be a good story behind that one??