Sugarloaf - AZ Summit 2.0 Weekend - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Despite the wind hold challenges, it was a great weekend. Conditions were 100 times better than a year ago. As rivercoil pointed out, the name of the game was following the wind. Definitely scored some very nice turns all weekend in the wind loaded areas. Absolutely love that mountain more and more each time I go. It was great meeting and skiing with so many different folks throughout the weekend.

Kudos to Greg and Sugarloafs Ethan and Brad for setting this up. Can't wait for next year.

Oh and Ethan or Brad, if you're reading this, tell Steven Kircher I think a higher priority should be placed on reinstalling surface lifts up Whiffle Tree area and Misery Whip than replacing the Spillway chair. Shared a couple rides on the Bateau with locals who agreed.

Just got home... had a great weekend...

Thanks again to the folks at the 'Loaf and Greg for getting this set up...

Had so much fun in the trees this weekend. I feel like I need to get back to the Loaf before the end of the season when I can get to the top... That was my only gripe about the weekend (no one's fault... but it would have been nice to get up there).

Nice seeing some familiar faces again and meeting some new ones.

I wish I could have been more social at the events Friday and Saturday night, but I was pretty sore from my fall at Saddleback on Friday.

Can't wait for the next one!

-w
    2018-2019:
    Ready to go
    2017-2018 - 21, 2016-2017 - 20, 2015-2016 - 8, 2014-2015 - 10, 2013-2014 - 21, 2012-2013 - 12ish, 2011-2012 - 12, 2010-2011 - 20, 2009-2010 - 23, 2008-2009 - 30, 2007-2008 - 35

Thumbs up

my quick review of the weekend -

• Wind Holds Suck
    • Wind Sucks
    • no wi-fi in condo sucks

everything else - pretty sweet!

now i just have to figure out how to get back there before the season ends.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

At least I don't feel so bad missing this now.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

oh, you definitely should feel bad. the skiing was killer. you just had to be patient for it.

a testament to the fun had this weekend, i hardly stopped to take pictures.

here are a couple i got-

Greg and Brian's first ride on a TBAR

crew getting ready to hit BB

woods with some sweet wind blown pow

Sugarloaf

2018/19
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24

Had a great weekend. Bummer some of the lifts were down due to the wind, but that just kept traffic out of all the good stuff. Only the hardy willing to brave the T-bar (and there was a fair amount of carnage there) and the traverse enjoyed almost half the mountain to them selves.

The cold and wind kept me from pulling out the camera much, but here's a few of the good ones:

Hanging out at the top of the SQ waiting for Greg ...

Entrance to Brackett:

WJenness in Brackett:

View from the condo this morning:

Looking up really tight line in Bracket:

Looking down same line:

Wjenness and roark:

Looking up to snowfields from Bracket:
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    At least I don't feel so bad missing this now.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    oh, you definitely should feel bad. the skiing was killer. you just had to be patient for it.
    Yeah, you didn't miss anything. Don't worry about it ...
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

A few random thoughts on Sugarloaf from a first time visitor -

• The drive was crap but in the end it was well worth it.
    • Iím no aficionado of skiing the woods but after this weekend at the loaf Iím planning to try it a lot more.
    • I can see why they are King of Spring. Not sure what was going on in the rest of the NE this weekend but it was Winter at Sugarloaf. So much snow!
    • The First Tracks pass was great, Iím not usually an early morning guy but having the mountain to yourself for an hour is a cool experience.
    • Love the boundary to boundary philosophy
    • Greatly appreciate glades marked on the map, gives first timers a hint where to look (while probably also misdirecting us from the localís favorites)
    • Nice vibe everywhere I went, condo check-in, shops & restaurants, shuttle drivers and just about every random stranger I came across on the mountain.
    • Very well run lift lines

2018/19
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24

Checked in Friday, after a killer day over at SaddleBack -- driving up the access road, wham, the mountain is in your face.. and you love it. The excitement at this point is pretty much as high as it gets.

We got a nice 2BR condo in Snowbrook, and the living room and one BR had fantastic views of the loaf! After checking in, we headed over to the Rack for dinner, and several, several drinks.... With some friends all arriving at different times during the night, we used it as a meeting place before heading to the condo--

Called it a night, tomorrow was a big day. I was really looking forward to getting an early start.

The morning drive in, kinda sucked:

I think with a coffee in hand, I could suffer this commute daily:

Started off at the superquad, hit the usual warmups -- Kings Landing, Hayburner, Sluice. Found our way into Skidder's glades, still had some nice snow --

Couldn't resist Sheer Boom's bumps, and windblown powder stashed sides

ventured over to check on the whip

and finding some pow stashes off whiffletree glades

And that was just Saturday..... the evening ended with a blurry early apres, but that got me on Sundays chair at 7:34AM.....
    Todo: Cannon, *Wildcat*, *Black*, Pico, MRG, Magic.

11/12 [28]: Sunday River @dawn 2, Sugarloaf 5, Sugarbush 5, Saddleback, Mt Abram, Stowe, Loon 2, Breckenridge, Copper, Vail, Eldora, Burke,
    Sugarbush, Jay Peak 2, Smuggs, Killington

Thread Information