• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - AZ Summit 2.0 Weekend

gmcunni

$1099.00 gets you one gm. Great that the group got the extra time...

rode a shuttle back to my condo on saturday evening and struck up a conversation with an elderly (70ish) couple who own a condo and have been there for years. They hadn't heard of the first tracks program but thought it was an awesome benefit to have.

gmcunni

Looks like the trip was awesome. Great pics. Definitiely some hardcore glade skiing going on there. Anybody hit any non-glade/non-bump trails to give a flavor for the other trails on the mountain

i skied plenty of groomed trails, couldn't tell you the names. conditions were excellent. a little crispy on top where the wind was blowing but great overall. wind provided powder on the left side of most trails.

snowmonster

I saw one of your waitress friends from last year at the apres party, she was asking where you were...

Tell her I miss her.=)

I just wanted to confirm it was the same one

One? Weren't there two? ;)

We skipped the superquad line, then rode the T-bar as normal. We traversed pretty far until we hit Bracket Basin, and even then we kept hugging the extreme side of it. We crossed under something called "Hell's Gate"? I think. Tinker, the lead instructor was telling me not to hit it, apparently a lot of people backcountry to try anyways though. It was a pretty large cliff, way beyond me. Anyways, the trip was like an hour. It involved quite a bit of hiking with our skis on, and we eventually busted out into a huge clearing with sparse trees. It was pretty fresh in it actually, and I learned my way around the area a bit. It was a really fun experience, and definitely the hardest skiing I did that weekend. I caught more air between trees than I was planning to.
THIS was what I was looking forward to: a local's guide into Brackett Basin. Glad that Shock was able to get the grand tour. Hey, Shock, mind sharing the secrets of the Basin?

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Oh really....?

:angry:

Damn right! :angry:

I just wanted to confirm it was the same one

I didn't actually talk to her, but she was the same one that's on the right in that picture of Snowmonster from last year. She was bringing out all the goodies for us to snack on, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed her. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I didn't actually talk to her, but she was the same one that's on the right in that picture of Snowmonster from last year. She was bringing out all the goodies for us to snack on, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed her. :lol:

Oh yeah, she was bringing the goodies alright... ;)

Last edited:

roark

Pics from the weekend - Saddleback Friday

Hit Saddleback for the first time with WJenness, WoodCore and Cara Friday. Saw Terry, got a run in with Miscka (sp?). Enjoyed excellent late winter powder conditions, no wind, no lines, some sun, some snow squalls. Awesome day.

To make 9am, I was on the road at 4:15. Sunrise on Rt. 2:
P1030549.jpg

Ayup:
P1030562.jpg

Arrived solo as WJenness overslept. Headed directly to Casablanca and lapped it until meeting Mischka randomly at the chair.

Casablanca #2 entrance:

P1030581.jpg

Casablanca is really a 'glade', rather than trees. Some of the entrances are tight, but it opens up nicely. The pitch isn't super steep, just right.

#3 Midway down:
P1030693.jpg

Met up with WoodCore, Cara & WJenness at the yurt and headed back to Casablanca (see a theme here ;) ) A few squalls blew through, helping out the 2-3 day old powder.

WJenness:
P1030620.jpg

Cara:
P1030695.jpg

WoodCore:
P1030665.jpg

Still some freshies last run!
P1030718.jpg

Not a bad view:
P1030727.jpg

roark

Pics from the weekend - loaf Sat

wa-loaf already got the thule box destruction :)

Heading up Snubber Sat AM:
P1030733.jpg

The crew on Skidder:

P1030749.jpg

Super lines at the SuperQuad (the singles line went PAST the Double Runner!) thanks to windholds
P1030755.jpg

Greg and BVibert enjoy some quality time together
P1030762.jpg

WJenness at the top of Brackett:
P1030772.jpg

BVibert Brackett:
P1030775.jpg

wa-loaf Brackett:
P1030799.jpg

wa-loaf met up with his 80 yr old dad for some turns (AWESOME!). I did a little exploring out in Brackett and after some traversing, sidestepping, and ignoring signs (but not any ropes) I found this... the photo does NO justice for how tight this line is:
P1030806.jpg

After Birlier opened up a bit more:
P1030810.jpg

roark

Pics from the weekend - loaf Sun

Sunrise view from the condo:
P1030811.jpg

First tracks were fun, as soon as the lines got long again we headed back out to Brackett. I traversed a bit further over than the big group had on Saturday (but not as far as Birlier). Lots of little rabbit holes to duck in over there...

P1030815.jpg

P1030816.jpg

Thanks to the windhold the east side was nearly deserted all weekend.
P1030823.jpg

No views from the loaf
P1030827.jpg

Hikers heading up to the crossover
P1030828.jpg

wa-loaf in a nice streambed glade - still winter in here!
P1030863.jpg

P1030869.jpg

Bubblecuffer bumps to end the day
P1030882.jpg

WoodCore

Hit Saddleback for the first time with WJenness, WoodCore and Cara Friday. Saw Terry, got a run in with Miscka (sp?). Enjoyed excellent late winter powder conditions, no wind, no lines, some sun, some snow squalls. Awesome day.

To make 9am, I was on the road at 4:15. Sunrise on Rt. 2:
P1030549.jpg

Ayup:
P1030562.jpg

Arrived solo as WJenness overslept. Headed directly to Casablanca and lapped it until meeting Mischka randomly at the chair.

Casablanca #2 entrance:

P1030581.jpg

Casablanca is really a 'glade', rather than trees. Some of the entrances are tight, but it opens up nicely. The pitch isn't super steep, just right.

#3 Midway down:
P1030693.jpg

Met up with WoodCore, Cara & WJenness at the yurt and headed back to Casablanca (see a theme here ;) ) A few squalls blew through, helping out the 2-3 day old powder.

WJenness:
P1030620.jpg

Cara:
P1030695.jpg

WoodCore:
P1030665.jpg

Still some freshies last run!
P1030718.jpg

Not a bad view:
P1030727.jpg

Here's my trip report......

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=93081

Great Day!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I must have missed something because I thought the traverse out to Birler and those other glades was roped. From the Crossover, I only found the entrance to Cant Dog without a rope. Apparently I missed something, perhaps obvious? :(

Edd

Wow, I give up. I was taking the high road but that last set of pics slayed me. I'm irrationally jealous..I need a minute..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It's OK to live through vicariously our experiences :p

I feel that way when I look at pictures from the rest of the season, wish I had made it out more earlier in the year!

bvibert

Staff member
I must have missed something because I thought the traverse out to Birler and those other glades was roped. From the Crossover, I only found the entrance to Cant Dog without a rope. Apparently I missed something, perhaps obvious? :(

Whatever you missed I missed too... :-?