• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So how outdated am I?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm still rocking my 2000-ish Beta Ride 8.22's (I think that's what they are). I still love em' although i wouldnt' mind something with more of a sidecut so I could carve a bit more when the feeling took over. I'm kinda brand-loyal to Atomic after this pair, been using 'em for about 10 seasons.

I remember when I bought em was when parabolic skiis were first coming into style. I really haven't paid all that much attention to how the technology has changed in the past decade, to be honest (I just realized I have turned into my father!)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hey if you like them that is all that matters!

I don't really know the Atomic line up that much so I can't really help.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey if you like them that is all that matters!

I don't really know the Atomic line up that much so I can't really help.

Maybe ignorance is bliss, I wonder how much more I would notice if I actually tried something different! After all, now is ski buying season, right (And all my life I've been a 1-quiver kinda guy!)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Maybe ignorance is bliss, I wonder how much more I would notice if I actually tried something different! After all, now is ski buying season, right (And all my life I've been a 1-quiver kinda guy!)

IMHO, you'll notice a whole hell of a lot! I had a similar ski from that time period...the Atomic 9.22's, I think. You'll find today's skis will be shorter and fatter. Back in the day, I skied 205's. My 9.22's were 190. My now 3 y.o. Dynastars are 172. I love having a shorter ski. It is still solid and stable at speed and on steep terrain. Despite the shorter length, they have the same or more total surface area because of the increased width and will stay afloat and be even easier to ski than your 8.22's, while still being able to grab a solid edge on hardpack. Of course, you'll tweak things for yourself depending on the type of terrain you like to ski. But IMHO, unless you're racing or skiing very firm hardpack, the wider the better.

BenedictGomez

I'm still rocking my 2000-ish Beta Ride 8.22's

I remember when I bought em was when parabolic skiis were first coming into style.

I'm still rocking a pair of Salomom XScreams from about the same period (bough in Montreal when USD/CAD was 1.5:1, which was sweet) and I still think they're badazz planks.

Hawkshot99

If they are from that time period I am gonna suggest you take them into a Atomic Dealer and have the bindings checked. There is a recall on certain Atomic Bindings from that time period.

If the heals look like the one in this picture, it may be included.
images

Morwax

Thats a good ski your on. Maybe try something with a different radius like a slalom ski. Shape skis are nice but if you like to go fast the extra sidecut just makes them squirrely.
My Northeast quiver consists of a couple pairs of slalom race skis a couple pairs of GS race skis and a couple pairs of fatties for powder days.

Morwax

Never noticed & I'm skiing with a 17m side cut radius.

Id rather not get into all the details about sidecuts, sidecut radius and flex, lengths etc... Short shapey skis are not near as stable as long straight ones imho.
That is why you do not see Bode wearing his shape skis on the Hahnenkamm:beer:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Actually i'm wrong I do have 9.22's

I believe they are 180's. I'm definitely upgrading next year to some new sticks. Thx for all the advice guys.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
IMHO, you'll notice a whole hell of a lot! I had a similar ski from that time period...the Atomic 9.22's, I think. You'll find today's skis will be shorter and fatter. Back in the day, I skied 205's. My 9.22's were 190. My now 3 y.o. Dynastars are 172. I love having a shorter ski. It is still solid and stable at speed and on steep terrain. Despite the shorter length, they have the same or more total surface area because of the increased width and will stay afloat and be even easier to ski than your 8.22's, while still being able to grab a solid edge on hardpack. Of course, you'll tweak things for yourself depending on the type of terrain you like to ski. But IMHO, unless you're racing or skiing very firm hardpack, the wider the better.

The 9.22's are definitely 180's. I definitely want to try shorter, particularly for glades & bump skiing I'm thinking I might get a little quicker turns out of them.

jack97

The 9.22's are definitely 180's. I definitely want to try shorter, particularly for glades & bump skiing I'm thinking I might get a little quicker turns out of them.

9.22 dimension is 102/70/99. This was typical for an all mtn ski back in the days.

If you want to hang out in the bumps and you like the feel of getting on the edges quicker then you should stay with the narrow waist. Having said this, I doubt you can find this unless you go to a bump ski. Maybe a gs ski but you have to find one that is really soft.

Seems going fat is in vogue :?

Beetlenut

I also skied the 9.22 Beta Ride in a 180. Good out West ski! Compaired to todays skis, they were HEAVY though! I first went to an Atomic C7 in a 168. Man that ski could carve. I still used it last week for an afternoon. Then I skied the Atomic Snoop Daddy. Too soft and surprisingly not very turny. Then a Salomon X wing Tornado in a 162. Nice ski, but too short for me. Would have liked to had that ski in a 170. Next was the Atomic B5i in a 172. Talk about heavy! Man that ski could hold an edge like nobody's business though. After an injury, I sold the B5's and bought some K2 Explorer's in a 170. I'm really liking this ski. Great in the woods and crud, and with a 16m turning radius, fun on the groomed. Very stable at speed, and floats really well in the slop.
Best advise is to Demo, Demo, Demo. You will be pleasently surprised how the technology has changed in 11 seasons!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I also skied the 9.22 Beta Ride in a 180. Good out West ski! Compaired to todays skis, they were HEAVY though! I first went to an Atomic C7 in a 168. Man that ski could carve. I still used it last week for an afternoon. Then I skied the Atomic Snoop Daddy. Too soft and surprisingly not very turny. Then a Salomon X wing Tornado in a 162. Nice ski, but too short for me. Would have liked to had that ski in a 170. Next was the Atomic B5i in a 172. Talk about heavy! Man that ski could hold an edge like nobody's business though. After an injury, I sold the B5's and bought some K2 Explorer's in a 170. I'm really liking this ski. Great in the woods and crud, and with a 16m turning radius, fun on the groomed. Very stable at speed, and floats really well in the slop.
Best advise is to Demo, Demo, Demo. You will be pleasently surprised how the technology has changed in 11 seasons!

i'll have to try some stuff out then. I don't know much else other than trying to 360 on teh 9.22's is a bear since they feel so heavy

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
i'll have to try some stuff out then. I don't know much else other than trying to 360 on teh 9.22's is a bear since they feel so heavy

Mine were actually called the Beta Race. Maybe 9.20 or 9.22. I did not have the beta rides...mine definitely said "RACE". lol I will snap a pic...I still have them down in the dungeon somewhere.