• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Mar 30-Apr 1st?

drjeff

This Friday: "Prius in the ditch......old person in a 90's Subaru wagon driving 45 in the left lane" :lol:

This looks like it should deliver for Mount Snow! But like mlctvt brings up a good point on the wind holds. Maybe we can get to the top via the Local...oh...wait a second...... :razz:

I gotta think that with the finals of the Mount Dew Vertical Challenge on Saturday, with upto 2000 racers and the course scheduled to be on Canyon, that there's a slightly greater than normal chance that minimally Canyon Quad will be running in questionable winds, and if Canyon is spinning, the chances of Northface access and hence summit access should be quite good.

octopus

i just looked at NOAA weather for bretton woods, they are calling for a change to rain in that area. is this correct? would i be better heading to vt, like magic or kmart?

Puck it

i just looked at NOAA weather for bretton woods, they are calling for a change to rain in that area. is this correct? would i be better heading to vt, like magic or kmart?

Cannon is to be all snow still. Heading up tomorrow morning.

wa-loaf

I'll be trying my luck at the Mighty WA. Not enough time to get up to Cannon unless I just want to ski for 2 hrs and drive 6 (assuming roads are bad).

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
According to WCAX, NH, ME, and Southern VT look to score biggest with this one:

WEB_snowfallpotential2.jpg

BenedictGomez

This is such a scattered, bizarre storm I have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

I'm leaning on the Catskills as it looks like they'll pick up 8-12, whereas Whiteface is only tracking 4-8, but if Whiteface gets pounded with 12 inches, I'm going to KICK myself for going to Hunter or Plattekill.

This might be one of those storms where it's Friday at 5pm and I'm sitting in my truck with the keys in the ignition before I know where I'm going!

gladerider

This is such a scattered, bizarre storm I have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

I'm leaning on the Catskills as it looks like they'll pick up 8-12, whereas Whiteface is only tracking 4-8, but if Whiteface gets pounded with 12 inches, I'm going to KICK myself for going to Hunter or Plattekill.

This might be one of those storms where it's Friday at 5pm and I'm sitting in my truck with the keys in the ignition before I know where I'm going!

i am in the same boat BG. i am debating wether to hit mt. snow or hunter on saturday. would like to hit which ever gets more. hunter saves me 2 hours of driving each way. slightly leaning towards hunter at the moment.

WinnChill

i am in the same boat BG. i am debating wether to hit mt. snow or hunter on saturday. would like to hit which ever gets more. hunter saves me 2 hours of driving each way. slightly leaning towards hunter at the moment.

I would be leaning towards VT as opposed to NY with most of the moisture/snow sliding through NE.

gmcunni

sounds like a good base-building event for CT

Total wet snowfall is now forecast to range from no snow along the coast, 2 – 4” of wet snow in the valleys of Central CT and up to 4 – 8 inches of wet snow in the Northwest Hills. Most of the accumulations will be on grassy surfaces. Note: Snowfall from this storm is still expected to be highly dependent on the exact track of the storm and on elevation. Any change in the track will have a significant impact on the amount of snow at various elevations.

BenedictGomez

Agreed on the driving, but now that I'm doing more research on this storm track......

I would be leaning towards VT as opposed to NY with most of the moisture/snow sliding through NE.

I'm starting to think about the above.

I've never been to Magic, but GOOG says it's a 4.5 hour drive from me, whereas Hunter is 2 hour 45 minutes. So lets say Magic gets 14 inches and Hunter gets 10.

Does Magic have substantially better terrain than Hunter to justify the extra driving is the question? Anyone been to both?

roark

There is no ski area with lifts S of MRG that can compare with Magic for terrain. And much of it's out in the open (ie marked trails, not hidden stashes).

jrmagic

There is no ski area with lifts S of MRG that can compare with Magic for terrain. And much of it's out in the open (ie marked trails, not hidden stashes).

I will second that. Hunter is a fun mountian and I ahve been there a number of times but Magic is much more fun IMO and less crowded.

As for driving.... I live in Southern Westcester and get to Magic in 3:10 driving within 10 MPH of the speed limit. So you should be able to beat 4:30. I guess its sending you up 87? If you do decide to hit Magic take the Taconic to Route 295 in Chatham (last exit before the toll) to 22 North to NY 7 in Hoosick to 279 to VT 7. get off at exit 4(Manchester) and take 11 across to Magic.

Oh and did you know that Magic lift tix are $25 this weekend?

BenedictGomez

Yes. (Although I've never been to either)

I will second that. Hunter is a fun mountian and I ahve been there a number of times but Magic is much more fun IMO and less crowded.

Oh and did you know that Magic lift tix are $25 this weekend?

Thanks all. Their verts are similar (1700 Magic vs. 1600 Hunter), but Hunter reports 240 acres versus Magic's 135, though comparing maps Hunter doesnt seem all that much bigger, so you can see my confusion and why I wanted to ask some folks. And yeah, $50 to ski Saturday and Sunday seems pretty sweet.