• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone - New Ownership

SkiDork

Nick, do you have any experience moderating other forums? Just wondering since the toughest job of a moderator has already cropped up - essentially how to be King Midas...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
i started up that German American community at the onset of this acquisition just to familiarize myself with forums in general from a technical perspective; but this is definitely by far the biggest thing I've taken on. No fluff here!

BTW on that forum I'm AltBier. I created with another friend of mine who also happens to be named Nick.

And in a German forum you have to deal with the neo-nazi's ;)

Riverskier

Understand and respect that.

Do me a favor...when you have time go back and read some of GSS post and make your own decision. Don't listen to all the haters.

Nick- I understand if you don't want to make any changes right away, but I strongly recomend you take this advice at some point and go back and read some of his posts. The guy is funny as hell, is as passionate about skiing as anyone here, and added a ton of character to this forum. He was banned due to a small number of very vocal haters who apparently don't have much of a sense of humor.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nick- I understand if you don't want to make any changes right away, but I strongly recomend you take this advice at some point and go back and read some of his posts. The guy is funny as hell, is as passionate about skiing as anyone here, and added a ton of character to this forum. He was banned due to a small number of very vocal haters who apparently don't have much of a sense of humor.

With all due respect, you don't know all of what happened. It was not driven by "haters" but rather by his own actions and personal attacks. He broke the rules repeatedly and was given numerous chances despite breaking the rules. What the general public sees is maybe half of what happened.

wa-loaf

I'm on the fence, but he got pretty mean and nasty at the end. Not at all funny.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Thats so far off I dont even know what to say :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member

That is not true at all. Though many saw him as funny and he is passionate about skiing, he repeatedly violated the rules, talked back to Greg and other moderators, and made it clear that he was not going to respect the standards on the board or other people here. Additionally, you should know that a lot of people complained about him and we lost a lot of great content/commentators/posters because they were simply fed up with his nonsense and his attitude.

This board is valued because of its content, direct connections to the industry, and ability for decent folks to connect with each other and enjoy the outdoors. Threads about bowel movements, masterbation, trolling, and insults do not advance the goals of the community. Nor does talking back to the folks who own and/or help run the place. For folks who want to post for the hell of it and don't care as much about content or respect feel free to visit those other boards.

He still posts on other boards and folks are welcome to go there and talk with him.

Bringing this up, nearly two years after the fact, is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Riverskier

With all due respect, you don't know all of what happened. It was not driven by "haters" but rather by his own actions and personal attacks. He broke the rules repeatedly and was given numerous chances despite breaking the rules. What the general public sees is maybe half of what happened.

You are right, I don't know all of what happened. I still think he was held to a different standard. I could point out several blatantly political discussions on AZ, but one slightly political comment by him led to an onslaught of pm's from the mods. The guy took more abuse than anyone I have ever seen on here, but the moment he would defend himself, he would be called out immediately for personal attacks. I still think he was banned, at least in part, to a few very outspoken people who really didn't like him who complained constantly. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Honestly though, it is hard to express how little I care, and am happy to let this drop. I just thought he added a lot of character to the forum, and with new owners, I thought it was worth mentioning that they may want to reconsider this past decision.

dmc

FREE GSS!

He just tore it up in Aspen... :)

Dude LOVES to ski thats for sure..

dmc

You are right, I don't know all of what happened. I still think he was held to a different standard. I could point out several blatantly political discussions on AZ, but one slightly political comment by him led to an onslaught of pm's from the mods. The guy took more abuse than anyone I have ever seen on here, but the moment he would defend himself, he would be called out immediately for personal attacks. I still think he was banned, at least in part, to a few very outspoken people who really didn't like him who complained constantly. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Honestly though, it is hard to express how little I care, and am happy to let this drop. I just thought he added a lot of character to the forum, and with new owners, I thought it was worth mentioning that they may want to reconsider this past decision.

No doubt - I get away with more then he did.. :)

With Greg gone - not sure how long I can last with my usual shenanigans..

Welcome to mediocrity..