• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...anyone?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Training this winter consisted of just running in whatever the weather happened to be. I did have to give up a bunch of skiing, and some of my long runs were on Sundays after a Saturday on the slopes, which wasn't always the best. This was a tough winter for training, that's for sure.

If I do more marathons they'll be in the fall. Winter is for skiing.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I actually had to take a year off from any running after I got out of college. I had severe tendonitis in my hip flexor from too much hurdling. :-([

You do the 100 , 200 or 400 H's ?

Just the 110 meter High Hurdles (roughly 3.5 feet high) for the decathlon.

Nice work by all of you marathoners out there. I don't have the patience to do that much long distance training to prepare for one of those. Maybe someday once my fast twitch muscles fade into oblivion :p

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Six miles yesterday. I'm rarely running over 5 - 6 miles typically though, not like back in the marathon training days when it was 10, 12 miles. Too much time!

drjeff

I've been trying to get in 3 - 4 runs of between 3 and 7 miles each week - shorter distances if I'm on the treadmill (the only option my schedule allows sometimes, even in the summer) and longer if I'm outside on either my local track or walking/bike path.

Not sure if I'll sign up for a 1/2 marathon this fall or not. I'm not worried about the distance, and from having run 6+ of them in the past I know what I need to do training wise, but i'm just finding that when the opportunity permits itself time wise for a long run, I'd rather use that window of time for a ride on either my mountain or road bike. We'll see

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been trying to get in 3 - 4 runs of between 3 and 7 miles each week - shorter distances if I'm on the treadmill (the only option my schedule allows sometimes, even in the summer) and longer if I'm outside on either my local track or walking/bike path.

Not sure if I'll sign up for a 1/2 marathon this fall or not. I'm not worried about the distance, and from having run 6+ of them in the past I know what I need to do training wise, but i'm just finding that when the opportunity permits itself time wise for a long run, I'd rather use that window of time for a ride on either my mountain or road bike. We'll see

I try to do the same....at least 3 miles per day with weight lifting. I try to go longer but I'm just not motivated after work so I go on my lunch break (i have a whole hour....)

I was supposed to do a half marathon a couple months ago but ended up bailing last minute.. I hadn't pre registered so it was easy to turn away...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
5 on the treadmill this morning. Slower thogh; 7.5mph pace, usually I do around 8. But was feeling kinda weak this morning, probably from all the beer last night ;)

bvibert

Staff member
I've been toying with the idea of taking up running. Mostly because it's something I can do right from my house, without buying a lot of expensive equipment (what I really want is a road bike), but I also figure it would be good cross training. I'm not sure my knees, or the rest of me could handle it though...

tjf67

I've been toying with the idea of taking up running. Mostly because it's something I can do right from my house, without buying a lot of expensive equipment (what I really want is a road bike), but I also figure it would be good cross training. I'm not sure my knees, or the rest of me could handle it though...

Run the MTB trails. Great exercise and easy on the joints. Been running trails for 5 years and like it more than MTB, better exercise as well. Does a lot for my road riding endurance.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I run just because it's easy, cheap, and clears the mind. I love mountain biking but my bike is busted to shit and I can't afford another one right now; running I pretty much only need $50 Asics and I'm out the door.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

that is the main reason I run....because I can. and anywhere... I prefer trail running more than road running but like you said it is something you can do right from your house, no prep other than tying your sneakers :smile:

SkiDork

Doing another 5K in Deer Park on Sunday morning, with Iceman. I'm hoping to break 36 minutes, he's hoping to break 21 minutes.

I have lost 32 lbs since 4/15. Still have a ways to go.

Gotta get some more water....

bvibert

Staff member
Doing another 5K in Deer Park on Sunday morning, with Iceman. I'm hoping to break 36 minutes, he's hoping to break 21 minutes.

Nice work!

drjeff

Nice work there SD!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Killer. I've always had a hard time maintaining a good weight. 2 years ago I ran the Boston Marathon and after that my wife and I did P90X together. I went from 212 pounds down to about 178. I've crept up a bit though and right now I'm around 190.

I'd like to get back to the 175-ish range. It's tough though, I love beer & burgers ;)

I just finished up P90X back / biceps routine, gonna do a 3 - 4 mile run right now to top it off. Partly because I know I'll be drinking again tonight :roll:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Same on the weight thing. I was 215 about a year and a half ago. I'm 190 now. I'd like to get down to 175, but as you said, Burgers and Beer like me too much.

I need to up my cardio to get to that goal. Heck, I'd be happy with 180 even.

I make it to the gym 5 days a week, but usually only 2 of those days involve cardio. I tried running a bit last summer. I do like trail running, especially with a lot of elevation changes as the downhills use similar motions and vision as skiing. Normally I just use the ellyptical and stairmaster at the gym. It's pretty boring, but not so bad if the Red Sox or another sporting match is on the TV.