• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roadies - What do you carry?

o3jeff

After getting a flat fairly early in my ride yesterday and only having one tube I decided to head back after putting it in, kind of sucked but hated to keep going and get a second flat.

Figured if I am looking to start doing some longer rides I might as well be prepared. What are you carrying? 1 or 2 tubes? Patch kit? tool?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I got enough room in my saddle bag for two tubes. Bag contents include: 2 tubes, multi-tool, co2, $10, phone, and two levers. I also have a top tube bento box thingy for extra stuff on longer rides if needed.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I got enough room in my saddle bag for two tubes. Bag contents include: 2 tubes, multi-tool, co2, $10, phone, and two levers. I also have a top tube bento box thingy for extra stuff on longer rides if needed.

Same, except for long rides if possible I would also have a folding tire. But that depends on what kind of bike your riding, in my case, I'm talking road bike. Also, when you get a flat, fix the punctured tube as soon as you take it out as it takes time for the glue to properly cure. If you were to get another flat, you would be good to go.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
In my saddle bag: 2 tubes, tire irons, 1 CO2, my leatherman, house/car key.

Then in zip lock bag in jersey pocket, I have my cell phone. In another bag I have a $20, a credit card I don't use often, some enduralyte pills and a 2nd CO2. Then I'll usually have a 3rd bag in the 3rd jersey pocket with a cliff bar or something.

mlctvt

1 or 2 tubes, I'm not sure how many are in there now, plastic tire irons. multi-tool, CO2 inflator and 2 CO2 cartridges .

no flats in the last 7000 miles, there I just jinxed myself

Warp Daddy

A cell phone , A repair kit w/tube n' tools , $20 ,my Pearl Isumi jacket and or Vest have neat backside pocketing so i can take some/all of the following:

1. if i'm riding backroads that i'm unfamiliar with, i've got a small squirt gun w/ dog repeller in it.
(ambushed by Dobies a FEW TIMES .)

2. Sometimes if i'm going out for a while <I'll stop along the River to have lunch i'l throw in a sandwich ,

I've Got double set of bottle holders on my frame along w/a pump

SKIQUATTRO

saddle bag: CO2, 1 tube, levers, multitool, $20
jersey pockets: phone, gu's/beans
ankle: Road ID

Charlie Schuessler

Every day road ride I've got road ID, 2-CO, 2-tubes, self-glue patch kit, multi-tool, 2-levers, 2-master link, chain tool, sun block and a few $$$.

Long rides depending weather rain coat, arm/leg warmers, vest or jacket rolled in back pockets...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I usually just carry everything in my camelback. Phone, keys, wallet, patch kit (I've never carried a tube...) a multiuse tool. Powerbar.

bvibert

Staff member
I dug out my small hiking pack and am going to give it a try on my next ride. I already look like a fool out there with my baggy mtn bike shorts and walmart workout shirts!

Why not just use your MTB hydration pack? I don't think the hiking pack will be looked down on any less than your hydration pack. ;)

Doesn't make any difference to me... I've thought about doing road rides on my MTB, knobby tires, baggies, pack and all... Actually, I have.. sort of, on the rail trails with my kids. :dunce:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Are you guys for real? Concerned about what you carry and look like when you're out there working up a sweat. Damn, don't forget to pack your lipstick! :)

o3jeff

Why not just use your MTB hydration pack? I don't think the hiking pack will be looked down on any less than your hydration pack. ;)

Doesn't make any difference to me... I've thought about doing road rides on my MTB, knobby tires, baggies, pack and all... Actually, I have.. sort of, on the rail trails with my kids. :dunce:

It actually is a Hydrapak hydration pack, just their smaller version.

bvibert

Staff member
It actually is a Hydrapak hydration pack, just their smaller version.

I wonder if it's the same one that I bought from one of the ODAT sites a few years ago. It was really really small. After I stole the bladder out of it I gave it to my son. It was more suited for a 2 year old's back than mine. :lol:

mlctvt

Are you guys for real? Concerned about what you carry and look like when you're out there working up a sweat. Damn, don't forget to pack your lipstick! :)

They don't want to be "freds".

I think there are more posts on bikeforums.com about "freds" than anything else.

I couldn't care less what other's think of me. I use a rear view mirror clipped to my sunglasses and I have a triple crankset on my Trek Madone, these are two of the most "fredly" accessories. I know I get funny looks from the younger posers in some groups I ride with. Someday they will grow up too :smile:

o3jeff

I wonder if it's the same one that I bought from one of the ODAT sites a few years ago. It was really really small. After I stole the bladder out of it I gave it to my son. It was more suited for a 2 year old's back than mine. :lol:

Yep thats where I got it from! Just went and reviewed my SAC order history, it was the Hydrapak Big Sur that I got back in 2009! It's not really that small.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
They don't want to be "freds".

I think there are more posts on bikeforums.com about "freds" than anything else.

I couldn't care less what other's think of me. I use a rear view mirror clipped to my sunglasses and I have a triple crankset on my Trek Madone, these are two of the most "fredly" accessories. I know I get funny looks from the younger posers in some groups I ride with. Someday they will grow up too :smile:

I ride with a mirror clipped to my glasses. I don't have a triple though, you loser! ;) But the mirror...isn't for me...I know where I'm going, its for the crazy driver's on the road. I've never been in prison, but I still like to know what's coming at me from behind!

bvibert

Staff member
Yep thats where I got it from! Just went and reviewed my SAC order history, it was the Hydrapak Big Sur that I got back in 2009! It's not really that small.

No, that really isn't all that small. They're definitely going to laugh at you now! :lol:

The pack I was thinking about wasn't a Hydrapak at all, it was a small Dakine Session that I got from Chainlove back in 2008.