• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain...thoughts

ExtremeRyan

Ive heard Cannon has some great backcountry/unmarked , anyone have any beta on that they are willing to offer? Someone told me there was a way to ski the kinsmen ridge trail to an open treeless face that dumps you out in the lot. I also heard there were some good chutes off the saddle and something called south bowl on the backside. Anyone know about these spots? Dm me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

Ive heard Cannon has some great backcountry/unmarked , anyone have any beta on that they are willing to offer? Someone told me there was a way to ski the kinsmen ridge trail to an open treeless face that dumps you out in the lot. I also heard there were some good chutes off the saddle and something called south bowl on the backside. Anyone know about these spots? Dm me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Shit already gets tracked out way too fast to send anyone else. So NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

bdfreetuna

SKI Magazine actually did a semi thorough expose on Cannon's sidecountry in one of their issues last winter.

You can figure out a lot of it by searching YouTube for "Cannon backcountry" and similar terms.

Vaughn

Anyone been to Cannon since last Friday's rain disaster? Thinking about heading up Friday or Saturday.

SkiMom80

Anyone been to Cannon since last Friday's rain disaster? Thinking about heading up Friday or Saturday.

I was there yesterday and it wasn't bad. They were blowing snow, and had actually done a decent job grooming. I was with my 4-year-old, so we stuck to blue trails only, but it was a great day of skiing. There was only 1 spot on just below the Cannonball lift on Middle Ravine that was terrible.

That said, there was no one there yesterday. If it had been a weekend day it would have all been skied off by 11am. They are continuing to blow snow to resurface, and they should be getting a few inches from mother nature today, so here's hoping the weekend is decent!

SIKSKIER

Cannon is actually way better than I thought it was going to be after that rain event.As to the south bowl area,We would need a lot of snow to ski that.It dumps you down by Lafayette campground so you would need transportation back.You basically head off to the farthest skiers right from the top and aim towards 93 south.Total unmarked bushwacking.You need somebody to show you and even then its a real crapshoot even with big snow.You can see the South Bowl open exposure when headed north.It faces southeast before you get to the Cannon Cliffs.Very rarely skied.

Vaughn

You basically head off to the farthest skiers right from the top and aim towards 93 south.Total unmarked bushwacking.

If you find yourself hurtling through the air over a 200' cliff, you have gone too close to 93 South and should have gone a little more due south.

SIKSKIER

This is South Bowl.The only reason I would show this on the internet is show how remote and forbidding this area is.Not for the casual skier but for somebody that has prepared for much bushwacking and route finding.Also,if you view on GE zoom in and see how much talus/scree rocks are in there to show how much snow is needed to fill it in.

Attachments

• SouthBowl.jpg
    SouthBowl.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 104

bdfreetuna

South Bowl is one thing but there's plenty of stuff that takes you back to the lift.

Search "Bear Guy" on YT ... also keep an eye out coming down the Saddle

bdfreetuna

I'm not debating you on it being Gut which we both know. Just providing key words for a YT search since most ppl on there call it "guy" for whatever reason.

Good way to find sidecountry / stashes on YT, find a local who posts a video of one stash... good chance their channel has other stashes

I find this a lot easier than asking people since I'm antisocial.

Monica

Not my type of skiing! Scared of rocks and trees! But awesome to watch!