• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Friday, 11/10/2006 (contingent on opening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member

Greg

Staff member
According to the Killlington snow report:

killington.com said:
We're gearing up for an early November opening for the 2006-07 ski and snowboard season!
killington.com said:
Nov. TBA: Opening Day for the 2006-07 Ski and Snowboard Season

November 11 is not posted as the expected opening day. I personally don't classify 11/11 as "early" November either. Again, I think anywhere from November 8 on is a possibility...

Greg

Staff member
I added this event to the Calendar. Please keep the positive vibes coming!

Grassi21

I've already cleared the trip with the wife (who has to work) If it's the 10th....I'm in!

When I asked/told the wife that I was going she got a little jealous. After I told her what time I had to get up to hitch a ride with Greg and the crew, the jealousy disappeared.

I'm psyched for some early November skiing. But I'm just as psyched to finally meet you characters.

Greg

Staff member
After I told her what time I had to get up to hitch a ride with Greg and the crew, the jealousy disappeared.
Indeed. Dedication is required. I'm aiming for an 8:30 arrival to KBL.

2knees

Indeed. Dedication is required. I'm aiming for an 8:30 arrival to KBL.

yikes. like old times for me. I've "adjusted" my arrival times over the years. I may have to meet up there as i think i have to do dropoff that friday. I'll get that figured out tonight and shoot you a pm.

Greg

Staff member
yikes. like old times for me. I've "adjusted" my arrival times over the years. I may have to meet up there as i think i have to do dropoff that friday. I'll get that figured out tonight and shoot you a pm.

Ooof. Yeah - let me know. My goal was to leave the Thomaston lot at 5:00 am with Brian and Grassi in tow.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Also, here's a TR from Steve's site from his 11/11/04 visit:

http://www.thesnowway.com/ski/2005/killington.htm

That should get you guys pumped!
:lol: are you trying to talk people into going or out of going? :lol: some of the pics in that trip report have me reconsidring! ;) ;) just kidding, i am in pending no issues at work. and i agree, killington has no business labeling their opening "early season" as it is merely the beginning of the season for many areas. this whole 8:30 arrival thing has me confused... i will actually need to leave home by 6:30am to go skiing? does not compute! :razz:

Greg

Staff member
:lol: are you trying to talk people into going or out of going? :lol: some of the pics in that trip report have me reconsidring! ;) ;) just kidding, i am in pending no issues at work. and i agree, killington has no business labeling their opening "early season" as it is merely the beginning of the season for many areas. this whole 8:30 arrival thing has me confused... i will actually need to leave home by 6:30am to go skiing? does not compute! :razz:

I think that trip report is probably sets a realistic expectation. I skied there November 2001 under far worse conditions. Surly this season will be better! ;)

8:30 am is just my target arrival time for KBL. That should get me out on snow by 9 am. And don't bitch. I have to leave home by 4:50 am to be able to pick up the crew to make that arrival time... ;)

My initial thought is maybe setup a 9:30 or 10 am meet-up at the top of the South Ridge (formally Glades) Triple. Thoughts?

bvibert

Staff member
I think that trip report is probably sets a realistic expectation. I skied there November 2001 under far worse conditions. Surly this season will be better! ;)

8:30 am is just my target arrival time for KBL. That should get me out on snow by 9 am. And don't bitch. I have to leave home by 4:50 am to be able to pick up the crew to make that arrival time... ;)

My initial thought is maybe setup a 9:30 or 10 am meet-up at the top of the South Ridge (formally Glades) Triple. Thoughts?

I'm probably going to have to leave my house at 4:30ish to make sure I'm on time... At least I shouldn't hit any traffic...

Greg

Staff member
I'm probably going to have to leave my house at 4:30ish to make sure I'm on time... At least I shouldn't hit any traffic...

You'll be there...with that big happy ski morning grin of yours... ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, I'll be there. Not so sure about the grin that early though. Don't get me wrong I'll be happy, I just don't think I'll be awake enough to express it. ;) Normally at 5am I haven't even rolled over to smack the snooze button for the first time...

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, I'll be there. Not so sure about the grin that early though. Don't get me wrong I'll be happy, I just don't think I'll be awake enough to express it. ;) Normally at 5am I haven't even rolled over to smack the snooze button for the first time...

Drink two less beers and go to bed an hour earlier the night before. You'll be fine... ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i was just kidding about the time, i have gotten quite used to rolling out of bed at 7 and still making first chair, heh. i know you guys have it a whole lot worse.

a later time (i.e. 9:30 or 10 per your suggestion) for the official meet up would help if there were stragglers, folks running late, etc. that way the group wasn't waiting for people. perhaps an early KBL meetup time for those that want to get there early and then a later glades triple meetup time as the "official" time? i dunno. honestly, despite my earlier joke about gettng up early, if folks want to ski some good snow before the place gets mobbed, i'd suggest getting their as close to opening time as possible. even on a weekday the place is dangerous that early in the season.

bvibert

Staff member
Drink two less beers and go to bed an hour earlier the night before. You'll be fine... ;)

Not much of a drinker, so I don't think that's the problem... ;) I'll definitely be going to be as early as my family allows!

a later time (i.e. 9:30 or 10 per your suggestion) for the official meet up would help if there were stragglers, folks running late, etc. that way the group wasn't waiting for people. perhaps an early KBL meetup time for those that want to get there early and then a later glades triple meetup time as the "official" time? i dunno. honestly, despite my earlier joke about gettng up early, if folks want to ski some good snow before the place gets mobbed, i'd suggest getting their as close to opening time as possible. even on a weekday the place is dangerous that early in the season.

I agree about the slightly later meet up time, some folks may even have a longer drive time than us. If we manage to make it up there early enough for your early meet up time then I'm game for that too. Just remember that you're gonna have to take it easy on us because some of us haven't been on snow yet this year... ;)

Greg

Staff member
An initial meet-up at KBL, say 9:00 am and then a second "synch-up" at the top of the Triple around 10 am or 10:30 am sounds like a really good plan. So far, I'm pretty confident I can identify most of the folks going so we should be able to all hook up at some point.

Here's the list that have confirmed. Definites:

Me
bvibert
JimG.
thetrailboss
riverc0il
2knees
Grassi21
roark
Marc
Sky521
BeanoNYC