• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-Basin 5/11

Warp Daddy

You know you always have an open invite to stay with us if you want to hit Tahoe.
What's stoppin' ya!
Ask Wa-Loaf.....he took us up on the offer and had a blast!

Wow thanks TC !! Ya never know . Really glad to hear that you guys are doing well out there

My kid sis and her hubby just moved to Colorado Springs from Canandaigua Lake here in the Finger Lakes -- so i got additional motivation

snoseek

Hi mrksn, (and the rest of the AZ-ers)
I just popped in to say hey, and saw this thread. As some of you know, I'm such a fan of A-Basin and go on a few pilgrimage's there during the season, but mostly I go there every year for Mother's day weekend, which was just prior to the start of this thread.

We had a good snow day and some great Spring Skiing days there this year......just before the next round of powder days, which you got! YAY mrksn!!!

I'm not going to complain because my day(s) at Abasin were some of the only corn I got this season, because Tahoe is still getting hit with snow.

Did I mention.....moving west and being a ski bum is treating me well!

Mrksn. glad you got after it!!!

A few pics of the spring conditions we encountered:
Me and my friend TheBuff(Dee) doing our Suzie Chapstick impression
228338_10150247578436138_540901137_9324154_735297_n.jpg

230407_10150247578421138_540901137_9324153_467041_n.jpg

The Beach Party!
Philpug manning the grill
227429_10150247578306138_540901137_9324149_1536782_n.jpg

225638_10150247578366138_540901137_9324151_1339046_n.jpg

I came back east for one stinkin winter and this is what went down:flame:

Seriously though, you must be on cloud nine after a first full season like that. Save some for me, back out there in a few short months(possibly utah this time). If they combine an AM/Squaw pass I may just keep going west! That would be unreal:lol:

mrksn

All that and I bet i-70 was empty and just wet or slushy.

I was actually a little worried leaving the last day since it was snowing pretty hard and the shuttle driver said to start heading down asap. On the ride down towards Keystone the side lots were PACKED with cars full of ppl hitting up the backcountry. A-Basin employees were directing the parking there and one Acura RDX either drove/fell off the end of one of the lots, looked like a mess. It was sloppy on the ride back to DIA but it turned sunny and dry as soon as I hit Idaho Springs.

mrksn

Is that a snow bike getting ready to get on the lift in that picture? Do they allow them out there? It would be a lot of fun on a real mountain, but super dangerous if they're not really really good at it.

Yup. I saw several groups over the time I was there, they were actually pretty good at it and there was plenty of space as most of the mtn was empty

DSC03076.JPG

mrksn

Hey TC! Kinda ironic as I was trolling epicski the other day and saw your Mothers Day A-Basin thread. Super cool. This year was my first time at A-Basin (Got in 14 days on 2 separate trips) and I can see why so many call it their favorite out of all the Summit Co resorts. I got the RMSP+ for next season but I'll prob pick up a 3-pack to get back out on the East and West Walls. I regret not doing that North Pole hike so if that's open I'm there. Looks like you're still riding so keep living it up this epic season!

Hi mrksn, (and the rest of the AZ-ers)
I just popped in to say hey, and saw this thread. As some of you know, I'm such a fan of A-Basin and go on a few pilgrimage's there during the season, but mostly I go there every year for Mother's day weekend, which was just prior to the start of this thread.

We had a good snow day and some great Spring Skiing days there this year......just before the next round of powder days, which you got! YAY mrksn!!!

I'm not going to complain because my day(s) at Abasin were some of the only corn I got this season, because Tahoe is still getting hit with snow.

Did I mention.....moving west and being a ski bum is treating me well!

Mrksn. glad you got after it!!!

mrksn

From today's Pali Pitch..

WOW... 4th Snowiest Season on Record

This season was one of the snowiest on A-Basin's records. We haven't officially closed for the 10/11 season, but we have already beat our 1981/82 season snowfall total. Below is a breakdown of our highest snowfall totals:

1978/79 Season - 550"
1994/95 Season - 478"
1982/83 Season - 473"
2010/11 Season - 467"
1981/82 Season - 465"

jimmywilson69

I'm skeptical that they could receive an extra 123" on literally the other side of the mountain. Although they are on the leward side of the mountain and probably ge a lot of "blow in" snow.

snoseek

I'm skeptical that they could receive an extra 123" on literally the other side of the mountain. Although they are on the leward side of the mountain and probably ge a lot of "blow in" snow.

If anything LL under reports. A basin is honest. They get quite a bit more snow at LL even if the wind hammers it. A-basin has better steeps, LL has more acerage with less people. I like both

Trekchick

I've seen it and believe it. Its amazing what mother nature can do over mountain ridges and through pass'.

If anything LL under reports. A basin is honest. They get quite a bit more snow at LL even if the wind hammers it. A-basin has better steeps, LL has more acerage with less people. I like both
Why did you move back East?
I thought you were a fixture out at Loveland....

(you don't have to answer it, just made me curious, that's all)

snoseek

I've seen it and believe it. Its amazing what mother nature can do over mountain ridges and through pass'.

Why did you move back East?
I thought you were a fixture out at Loveland....

(you don't have to answer it, just made me curious, that's all)

Just till november. Had some hospital bills to knock out, I somehow always manage to make good bank here. It is now done, I'm contracted through october at which point I'll be back out. Maybe Utah this time though? It's been a nice visit overall but I'm so damn ready to get back to life as I know it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just till november. Had some hospital bills to knock out, I somehow always manage to make good bank here. It is now done, I'm contracted through october at which point I'll be back out. Maybe Utah this time though? It's been a nice visit overall but I'm so damn ready to get back to life as I know it.

What? It's perfect out here in New England :beer:

mrksn

Although I wasn't there, I captured history from afar via the A-Basin webcams on July 4..

abasincam1.jpg

abasincam4.jpg

abasincam2.jpg