• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Portillo, August 5-12/06

koreshot

The best one was a wide-by-eastern-standards chute/trail through some rocks off of Roca Jack just passed the first big snow field and before the second snow field. The snow was good in there even before the storm.

My guess is you are referring to the S-Chute, here is me, on the way out:
88244993yXLJpk_ph.jpg

Here a few of the pictures of the Gargantita chutes Salida and I were talking about, with bad snow coverage. I am at the top, crapping my pants.

379695538103_0_ALB.jpg

989695538103_0_ALB.jpg

Here is Shane McConkey doing the same chute, a few hours after I did. Except at this point he had a bottle of red wine and he entered into the chute holding poles in one hand and chugging the second bottle with his other:
DSCN0133.JPG

Even though he was tipsy and doing silly tricks on the way down, he skied it WAAAAAAY smoother and faster than I did (obviously) and then did this at the end:
DSCN0134.jpg

kcyanks1

Thanks for the pics! We were lucky enough to have far more snow, so it's tough to identify the terrain for sure ... But I do believe the "S-Chute" is the one I skied off Roca Jack, from what I can tell. In your pick of the Gargantita chutes, I did the one to the left (looking up the mountain). It was skiable all the way down without having to worry about hitting/jumping rocks.

I'm not sure that I managed to have quite as much fun as your friend Shane :) I've never drank in the middle of a ski day. Too scary for me not to think I'm in complete control.

kcyanks1

Ok, my pictures suck. I only took a handful, and I tried to find something clearly identifying the chute/trail off Roca Jack or the Gargantita chute, and no success. If I manage to decipher the photos I'll post something another time. Otherwise I need some practice in taking good skiing pictures. I basically took the camera out a couple times, couldn't see my viewfinder well in the lighting, and just pointed, shot, and hoped I got something useful... I also often just did it myself. My friend I went with I think has a few pictures with one of us in it, but not on any interesting terrain. I tried to take pictures of some of the terrain, but didn't succeed. I guess they'd make good post cards of rocky mountains with snow of unidentifiable places :)

koreshot

Thanks for the pics! We were lucky enough to have far more snow, so it's tough to identify the terrain for sure ... But I do believe the "S-Chute" is the one I skied off Roca Jack, from what I can tell. In your pick of the Gargantita chutes, I did the one to the left (looking up the mountain). It was skiable all the way down without having to worry about hitting/jumping rocks.

This might help:

A - main Garganta chute that most people ski. Pretty steep going in, but nice and wide.
B - the official Gargantita chute, the one in my pictures posted before
C - the "out of bounds" chutes that I didn't have the balls to try last time I was there.
Garga.JPG

bvibert

Staff member
I was trying to avoid looking at this thread, but I finally caved. Nice pics and TR salida, looks like an awesome trip! I hope to get down there one day.

kcyanks1

Definitely B, the left of the two chutes looking up (skier's right looking down). The stuff in C seemed to be too rocky. I was also concerned with going off in that direction and either accidently ending up down Lake Run--the lake wasn't frozen, and some person almost fell into a crevasse in that area while I was there from what I heard--or just not finding a way down that I was willing to do and having to hike back up. Thanks for the post.

koreshot

Tried to add what we skied in this. M stands for mandatory air, varying from about 5 ft to 20 ft....
plateau.gif

I can't even imagine how #5 is even skiable. Every time I was there the #5 chutes were virtually certain death because of bad coverage - I can't even imagine what the chutes would look like when they were filled in. Not sure i would have the balls to try it even when it was filled in cause that side looks very steep.

Regarding Shane McConkey, I have a bunch of videos with him doing crazy stuff, but seeing him pull some of his insane tricks live makes it a lot more exciting. I have a couple of them on video - maybe i'll play around with youtube later.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
The left hand route of 5 was insane, the only reason we got in there is because we saw a Ski Schooler drop it, and we figured why not, it was a long sick straight chute, to a 10 foot mandatory, to a choke and then out into the snow field. The right hand side of 5 was entered from a different point and traversed in below the mandatory, a little more tame, but a fall would have been more hazerdous.

Skisalot

My first post here -- I read ocassionally and just stumbled upon the Portillo report.

I was there too that week -- with our kids. I think I was on Roca Jack lift with you the afternoon of the big snowstorm with the fresh tracks going UP with one of my kids and my husband (I know there were two of the Bently college guys with us -- not sure if it was you). It was wild not being able to see our skis heading up. My son was waist deep in snow going up!! That was pretty cool. The snow that day was great.

We stayed another week after you left and had beautiful sunshine all week. It is always a trade off in Portillo (this was our third year there) -- the fresh snow was great the week you were there but there was more downtime (wind and avalanche holds) and flat light too. No new snow the second week but brilliant sunshine. We had the same thing last year with two weeks -- one sunny week and one stormy. Each was great in its own way. Portillo is a very special place.

Last edited:

koreshot

My first post here -- I read ocassionally and just stumbled upon the Portillo report.

I was there too that week -- with our kids. I think I was on Roca Jack lift with you the afternoon of the big snowstorm with the fresh tracks going UP with one of my kids and my husband (I know there were two of the Bently college guys with us -- not sure if it was you). It was wild not being able to see our skis heading up. My son was waist deep in snow going up!! That was pretty cool. The snow that day was great.

We stayed another week after you left and had beautiful sunshine all week. It is always a trade off in Portillo (this was our third year there) -- the fresh snow was great the week you were there but there was more downtime (wind and avalanche holds) and flat light too. No new snow the second week but brilliant sunshine. We had the same thing last year with two weeks -- one sunny week and one stormy. Each was great in its own way. Portillo is a very special place.

Sure.... rub it in. I spent two weeks in Portillo in 2002, 2003 and 2004 and got a total of 6 inches of snow. Haven't gone back since, partly cause I am bitter and partly cause I have a ring on my finger now.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu

That was one of the highlights of the trip, the ride up Roca Jack! That and the ski down... sorry to take first dibs :)

alpinemorg

Website
www.outdoorexp.org
Could anyone give some details on where the best places are to look at planning a trip here? Have heard all sorts of people talk about S. American areas, but not sure where to begin looking/planning.

Thanks!

kcyanks1

Could anyone give some details on where the best places are to look at planning a trip here? Have heard all sorts of people talk about S. American areas, but not sure where to begin looking/planning.

Thanks!

If you are looking at Portillo, just go to their website (www.skiportillo.com), and everything you need to know is there. If you are going, you book and stay with them. I don't think there are any other options, it isn't as complicated as booking a trip at a US ski area where you have many places to stay. Food, lodging, and lifts are included in all packages. You can arrange for shuttles from the airport (Santiago) through them. You just need to add your plane ticket (for me, the most expensive part). They have a variety of levels of lodging.

As for other areas, I haven't been and didn't seriously look, so I can't give much advice.

alpinemorg

Website
www.outdoorexp.org
If you are looking at Portillo, just go to their website (www.skiportillo.com), and everything you need to know is there. If you are going, you book and stay with them. I don't think there are any other options, it isn't as complicated as booking a trip at a US ski area where you have many places to stay. Food, lodging, and lifts are included in all packages. You can arrange for shuttles from the airport (Santiago) through them. You just need to add your plane ticket (for me, the most expensive part). They have a variety of levels of lodging.

As for other areas, I haven't been and didn't seriously look, so I can't give much advice.

Excellent, thanks!